Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Etiquette for letting faster cars pass in qualifying >

Etiquette for letting faster cars pass in qualifying

Like Tree74Likes

Etiquette for letting faster cars pass in qualifying

Old 11-16-2023, 03:06 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
If tracks used a best 3-5 lap timer, instead of best 5 minute run, this would be a complete non issue.
The best lap or best 3 laps will bring special qualification motors, batteries, tires etc.... To keep the costs down and the field more equal that is an unwanted idea. Yes, the 3 lap is used on larger races but only with free timed practise to setup a ranking for the qualify heats to create heats with as most possible equal performing drivers to make the issue of blocking/overtaking as less as possible..
Zerodefect likes this.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Fast racers expecting slower racers to move over in the riskiest sections of the track.
As a back of the pack guy, this is one of my bigger gripes. I have no issue getting out of the way for the fast guys. I don't want to slow them down and try to be aware of that while racing. But why ride up my backside in a tight section in the middle of the track when I have little to no option of anywhere to go? I'll go wide heading out into the open section to give the better line up. Some are patient enough for this, others not so much. The other issue I've faced is some get so impatient through that tight section they also try to go wide exiting the tight section and I end up hacking someone unintentionally. This all adds up to keeping me in the back as I can never get a clean run without trying to move out of way. This is all in 21.5. There are those that win by laps each week that probably should move into 17.5.

don't get me wrong, my own driving skill is what mostly keeps me back. This other stuff just doesn't help.
Zerodefect and staiguy like this.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:02 AM
Tech Champion

I'm not so worried about qual parts on a club race day. But agree for big events. (but big events should have resorts and b mains to reduce these issues anyways)

I don't see the truly fast guys trying a nuke motor or battery in a Q, and then swap in fresh unbeat equipment for the mains. On club days there simply isn't enough time for motor swaps, or setup changes for major differences in tires. We'd rather eat lunch between rounds. The guys convinced it's a gear issue, are sabotaging themselves. Pretty bad mindset to have.

I could see the tire issue. Run something that wears too early, or is very fast, but very inconsistent.......But we already do that. For me, this screws up the feeling of the car too much, to be useful.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DarthDad
As a back of the pack guy, this is one of my bigger gripes. I have no issue getting out of the way for the fast guys. I don't want to slow them down and try to be aware of that while racing. But why ride up my backside in a tight section in the middle of the track when I have little to no option of anywhere to go? I'll go wide heading out into the open section to give the better line up. Some are patient enough for this, others not so much. The other issue I've faced is some get so impatient through that tight section they also try to go wide exiting the tight section and I end up hacking someone unintentionally. This all adds up to keeping me in the back as I can never get a clean run without trying to move out of way. This is all in 21.5. There are those that win by laps each week that probably should move into 17.5.

don't get me wrong, my own driving skill is what mostly keeps me back. This other stuff just doesn't help.
I hate when they push a pass on the straight or first sweeper after. Especially when turn 2 is a slow 180, with tons of room to swing wide. If they wreck on the back of my car in a sweeper, I don't care. That's 110% their impatience.

DarthDad and staiguy like this.
Old 11-23-2023, 02:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

If driver#1 is so good like they always say they are, then just pass. If your not good enough to pass, then quit your whining.

Also if #2 keeps their lines and #1 chooses to not pass then what?
Or #2 does let #1 pass and #1 crashes due to #2 able to keep up and then blames #2 of taking them out? Like I get etiquette and I am one to hold lines...but if I'm battling for that position in front of me and so called FASTER driver wants to pass, I'm not just pulling over. There's these guys too.

End of the day, your not going to please the Terry's. How about you can't get mad, you can get frustrated, but keep that to the track. Off the track, suck it up and laugh. Do better next time, it's racing bud.
Old 11-23-2023, 04:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My apologies again. I'm sorry to the guy who I rear end on the start of the race or tq ...its my fault your in the way. Ppl were pretty heated my last club day. Grown men fighting with grown older men in front of 10yr Olds about racing toy cars is not kool
d
Old 11-23-2023, 06:16 PM
Bud
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kruzracing169
End of the day, your not going to please the Terry's. How about you can't get mad, you can get frustrated, but keep that to the track. Off the track, suck it up and laugh. Do better next time, it's racing bud.
I think the op's question was about qualifying. You're describing racing. Two different fish.
oldfool likes this.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Qualifier and Racing, I see it all the time. It don't matter.

I get what is stated yes, qualifier is a qualifier. You can't get on the podium from a qualifier.
Main, are won in that first corner😆 Up front and then your taken out in first or second corner then your in the back. Honestly, I don't stress about the qualifier.
Old 11-24-2023, 10:26 AM
Bud
Tech Master

If you're racing with another car while you're qualifying you're slowing both cars down. Not real smart if you're trying to get pole position.
racing_jason and DirkW like this.
Old 11-25-2023, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you know the car behind you is faster, pull to the right. The race director will mention it if you're not really paying attention - it's a verbal blue flag.

Do you really want to be known as a person who intentionally impedes? And why would you want to intentionally impede?
Old 11-25-2023, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some people are just sore losers (and having a faster car go by, it already feels like losing to them).
Some people only ever care about three people: "me, myself and I".
Some can't tell the difference between qualifying and racing.
Some don't know that fighting for position usually slows both cars down.
And so on. Probably as many reasons as are people out there.
Bud likes this.
Old 11-25-2023, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Iím a slower but smoother racer. I usually always let a faster guy pass when possible. Iíll easily pass them when they crash or make a mistake.
During qualifying, Iíll take a turn wide or maybe slow down for a half seconds before the straight. This should give them a easy opportunity to pass. If they canít control their car enough to make that pass or get out motored on the straight, thatís their problem. Usually they make a mistake or later on in the track they get another opportunity.

during a race, Iím learning not to let anyone except race leader pass, again only if I give them a little extra room. I try to be smooth and not make a mistake (dont f&#k up). During more technical parts, Iím not moving over and leaving myself open to make a mistake, or someone behind making a pass following the race leader. If the race leader is that good, they should be able to pass if i give them a little room, WHEN POSSIBLE. If they canít wait, clip me, then wreck Iím not waiting. Thatís not my fault you couldnít wait for the opportunity or not fast enough to make a pass.

@dirk I wish qualifying was taking top 10 laps for overall pace (depending on overall laps) and using that as qualifying. An entire session for qualifying leads to these problems. For some of the better,
faster guys getting that top spot could mean winning a race. On the easier track layouts thereís less chances to pass. Starting out in number one spot could mean they win because the number 2 guy could never get a clean chance to pass. This leads to qualifying getting more and more cutthroat. Iím in a more beginner class and qualifying is a little less important when half the field crashes in the first half of the race. Even if you started from the back of the grid, if donít make a mistake you could pass half the field in one lap. Just gotta learn to weave around the crashes and marshalls

Last edited by staiguy; 11-25-2023 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)
Smile Qualifying is not racing

I didn't read everything
but I saw him say 1 crashed and 2 passed then 1 caught up. well 2 going to have a issue....
If some 1 runs up on u ... u r slower and no matter what your Nervous and losing time and could take him out crashing by making a mistake.
Even the best pull over if he caught you. He's faster than you let him go, don't be an a****** Also the 2 corner rule for a good pass. But if he crashes again after you let him bye. And the time is close by all means go for it. But he said there was lots of time left to me. It's a no-brainer.

And this got so off topic its crazy most of u didn't understand the Assignment

Last edited by Goof; 11-26-2023 at 10:34 AM. Reason: . & Spelling
Old 11-26-2023, 05:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Letting faster people passed isn’t the hard part. It’s getting those to be aware they are laps down. Raced a a lot of different tracks. And they’re almost always a few that are completely unaware that the field has lapped them. Sometimes more than once. They are only focused on their car/buggy/truck. And have absolutely no idea about anything else going on.
Goof, DirkW, OffRoadJunkie and 1 others like this.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Sabin
If you know the car behind you is faster, pull to the right. The race director will mention it if you're not really paying attention - it's a verbal blue flag.

Do you really want to be known as a person who intentionally impedes? And why would you want to intentionally impede?
It's 100% encouraged to hack the heck out of anyone that q'd ahead of you on the 1st 3 laps of the main.

So I doubt anyone is going to take notice of a rolling road block in Q's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.