Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Etiquette for letting faster cars pass in qualifying >

Etiquette for letting faster cars pass in qualifying

Like Tree74Likes

Etiquette for letting faster cars pass in qualifying

Old 08-20-2023, 12:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

yeah, this is what I do...talk to the clearly faster guys and let them know what I'm gonna do....But, sometimes I don't recognize who's behind me and if they racing me for position, they’ll have to work to get around me…………It’s all fair in love & war, eh?
And qualifying is still racing isn't it? Still trying to get the best finish & most laps possible. if is looks like a duck...................
gigaplex likes this.
Old 08-21-2023, 07:17 AM
Bud
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mediumquick
yeah,
And qualifying is still racing isn't it? Still trying to get the best finish & most laps possible. if is looks like a duck...................

No, qualifying isn't racing. It' s qualifying. If you're qualifying it doesn't matter if someone is ahead of you on the track. It's about time. If you're racing it's all about getting there first. Doesn't matter how fast you're going as long as you get there first. Racing someone when you're qualifying is just going to slow you down. Qualifying and racing are two different animals entirely.
Goof and DirkW like this.
Old 08-21-2023, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bud where u racin at?
qualifying is part of my race day...
its a race for position on the grid. I'm sure this has already been said. Even in the mains, the race is on a clock stop. Get the most laps and u win. so are you saying drag racing is the only real rc racing rn?
-d
Old 08-21-2023, 07:54 PM
Bud
Tech Master

I don't race any more. I used to a long time ago. Have you ever noticed when two or more cars get to dicing around for position the cars behind them catch up? You don't want that happening when you're qualifying. We always qualified one car at a time so there wasn't anybody to interfere with your time. The clock in the mains tells you when the race is over not your lap times. Where did you come up with the remark about drag racing? I never said anything about drag racing.
Goof and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 08-21-2023, 09:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's part of racing. I enjoy the dicing out between two race cars. Tight race makes for a fun race.
d
Old 08-21-2023, 09:44 PM
Bud
Tech Master

Doesn't help your qualifying times, though. The race is the time for that.
Goof and DirkW like this.
Old 08-21-2023, 10:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MonkeyCmonkeyDo
so are you saying drag racing is the only real rc racing rn?
-d
No he's not.

In a race, if someone clearly faster than you is behind...
it's perfectly ok to hold your line and race him for all you got.

In qualifying, you blocking someone clearly faster is only slowing you both down.

It gets more complicated when the guy is slightly faster than you and you let
him by and he keeps crashing... How many times are you supposed to let him by?
Bud, DirkW, gigaplex and 1 others like this.
Old 08-25-2023, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Qualifying is all about time NOT position. Recently I was qualifying and on the last 2 laps one of my shocks can loose and slowed me down a lot. I built up a decent enough lead for 1st and crossed the line in position 1, but my qualifying time went down enough to put me 2nd place. All that should matter is when your transponder starts the your qualifier, ends it, and how many laps you put in. After that it all gets averaged out for the main race position.
Old 08-25-2023, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

IFMAR qualifying has everyone on their own clock. Faster cars should always be let through assuming you are holding them up. As mentioned 1000 times before, defending during qualifying is simply slowing you both down. I have never raced (25 years of racing) that didn't call out faster qualifiers come up on slower cars. I doubt there are many scenarios where a TQ racer is continually makes mistakes backing them up behind slower racers. Consistency is how you TQ and win races. I've raced too many times where someone new to racing doesn't understand the concept of "you are on your own clock" and will be 5 laps down, but will defend like it is for the lead, cutting across the apex and shutting the door (most of the time recklessly). I wish more tracks had quick drivers meetings so newbs or even seasoned racers that never understood the concept, would go over the basic rules of IFMAR qualifying and racer etiquette.
Goof likes this.
Old 08-25-2023, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
IFMAR qualifying has everyone on their own clock. Faster cars should always be let through assuming you are holding them up. As mentioned 1000 times before, defending during qualifying is simply slowing you both down. I have never raced (25 years of racing) that didn't call out faster qualifiers come up on slower cars. I doubt there are many scenarios where a TQ racer is continually makes mistakes backing them up behind slower racers. Consistency is how you TQ and win races. I've raced too many times where someone new to racing doesn't understand the concept of "you are on your own clock" and will be 5 laps down, but will defend like it is for the lead, cutting across the apex and shutting the door (most of the time recklessly). I wish more tracks had quick drivers meetings so newbs or even seasoned racers that never understood the concept, would go over the basic rules of IFMAR qualifying and racer etiquette.
Being on your own clock and being 5 laps down are two separate things.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

They are, and the 5 laps down was simply an observation regarding etiquette. It’s another instance in which a slower racer wants to race a clearly faster car. In the main…if you are fighting for position, game on. In IFMAR quali, either allow the faster car through when possible, or stick to your line and allow the faster car to choose a passing point. Closing the door and moving around in the corner etc to disallow a faster car on a faster quali time is not.

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Old 08-28-2023, 09:52 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Still for both no reason to block the faster guys.
Bud and Alexv2024 like this.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Still for both no reason to block the faster guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5tAAEuyr0k
Old 11-16-2023, 01:14 AM
Tech Champion

If tracks used a best 3-5 lap timer, instead of best 5 minute run, this would be a complete non issue.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bud
No, qualifying isn't racing. It' s qualifying. If you're qualifying it doesn't matter if someone is ahead of you on the track. It's about time. If you're racing it's all about getting there first. Doesn't matter how fast you're going as long as you get there first. Racing someone when you're qualifying is just going to slow you down. Qualifying and racing are two different animals entirely.
Unless racer A has a bad run in that Q. Hacking the leader, racer B, could give racer A an advantage if he had a good previous Q. If racer B gets hacked by 3 different drivers in each Q, he's out of luck.

5 minute Q's promote this issue. If you run every Q like a race, don't complain about racers running them like a race.

If 5 min Q's are preferred, then it pays racer B to slow down, and find a clean way around racer A, on his own. The etiquette, falls on the shoulders of the faster racer. How often does racer B, want racers to move over, in spots no good for moving over? Too often. I see that happen, exactly, every single weekend, multiple times, for 20 years. Fast racers expecting slower racers to move over in the riskiest sections of the track.

Excess classes also promotes this issue. Because when 1/10th buggy or touring car has a 17.5, 21.5, and 21.5FT classes, there isn't enough entries to resort any if those into B main groups.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 11-16-2023 at 01:51 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.