Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Etiquette for letting faster cars pass in qualifying >

Etiquette for letting faster cars pass in qualifying

Like Tree74Likes

Etiquette for letting faster cars pass in qualifying

Old 11-11-2022, 11:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roger H
if they are faster they can go around, why drop my time to benefit them?
For me, I'd like to minimize the risk of being involved in a risky overtaking move. Things can always go wrong even without any foul play.
Old 11-11-2022, 02:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc10since1993
For me, I'd like to minimize the risk of being involved in a risky overtaking move. Things can always go wrong even without any foul play.
If they're similarly paced, this is true. However if they're about a second per lap quicker as per this example, they'll pass you like you're standing still.
Old 11-12-2022, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There's a great youtube video on the subject
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEuU64Zt4B0
Old 11-12-2022, 12:33 PM
Bud
Tech Master

If you're qualifying you're not racing the guy that comes up behind you, you're racing the clock. Let him go. He's just a distraction. If it's in a race, different story.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

My personal approach is when I know someone is consistently faster than me and they are right on my tail to give the other driver a heads up and just to a little wide on a corner. What I've experienced is the faster guys tend to get impatient and will try to force a pass anyways. This typically ends up with both of us or more likely just me needing to be marshalled. The end result is I lost even more time than if I just let them by.

Lonestar, Bud, Billy Kelly and 1 others like this.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That scenario when someone has better one-lap pace, but keeps wrecking in front of you when you're trying to rely on your consistency...

Old 02-24-2023, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Any experienced racer driving car #2 will open the door. Because driving defensively is always slower than driving behind a slightly faster guy.

Any experienced race director will ask car #2 to open the door if he doesn't do it by himself and give car #2 a penalty otherwise.

Any experienced racer driving car #1 will anyway end up punting car #2 on purpose after a few turns otherwise. And the race director will then turn a blind eye to it...

The very fact that someone is asking this question tells a lot about the state of racing these days.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:47 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Any experienced racer driving car #2 will open the door. Because driving defensively is always slower than driving behind a slightly faster guy.

Any experienced race director will ask car #2 to open the door if he doesn't do it by himself and give car #2 a penalty otherwise.

Any experienced racer driving car #1 will anyway end up punting car #2 on purpose after a few turns otherwise. And the race director will then turn a blind eye to it...

The very fact that someone is asking this question tells a lot about the state of racing these days.
In a race yes!
But the topicstarter is talking about qualfying. In that case you are never racing for position but all are driving their own time. Even the guy in front of you can actually behind you in time.
Bud and gigaplex like this.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Lonestar

If you're the experienced guy driving #1 and you punt someone on purpose, I'm disqualifying you. I'm a race director.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Roelof
In a race yes!
But the topicstarter is talking about qualfying. In that case you are never racing for position but all are driving their own time. Even the guy in front of you can actually behind you in time.
In a race if you have track position, you're allowed to defend your position as much as you want. It doesn't matter how fast you are, if you're behind you don't get to take out anyone that's in front of you. Passing and defending is part of race craft. Otherwise we may as well just be doing time trials.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Still astonishes me the thread came back up after it's winter hibernation at all, since rather little progress seemed to be made
Old 02-24-2023, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Somebody fast coming up behind me , I usually let them pass and also maybe lose .5 seconds for slowing down but at least I would be back to my comfortable pace instead of working hard to go fast to try to shake off the said faster car.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DirkW
Still astonishes me the thread came back up after it's winter hibernation at all, since rather little progress seemed to be made
This is an international forum. We're mid summer over here.
Old 02-25-2023, 01:30 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gigaplex
In a race if you have track position, you're allowed to defend your position as much as you want. It doesn't matter how fast you are, if you're behind you don't get to take out anyone that's in front of you. Passing and defending is part of race craft. Otherwise we may as well just be doing time trials.
True, but it has no use than only if you are in the last laps of a race. When such a situation is at the beginning of a race you will only loose time and eventually the faster guy will pass. You better can let him go and try to hook on as long you can.
Goof likes this.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:14 AM
Bud
Tech Master

You guys seem to always bring this back to "in a race." The question was Qualifying not racing. Two totally different animals. Not anywhere near the same thing. Qualifying is not racing. It's qualifying.
sosidge, Goof and gigaplex like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.