• 1 Post By LiL CeeZ
  • 2 Post By RickSlick
  • 2 Post By mediumquick

Philosophy in R.C

Old 10-20-2022, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Philosophy in R.C

I've often thought our hobby/sport/discipline is inimitable. Unique. Unlike any other form of racing. Requiring all the skill, preparation, knowledge and talent of its full-size counterpart, while being utterly devoid of any of the glamour and elite athletism tag that typically accompanies it.

Like many of us, it bit me hard from the first moment I saw one. It was indelible. Magical. Being 4 at the time I knew neither of these words. But it stuck. I never forgot the miniature cars. Love is the most apt word that comes to mind. It accompanies all of my building, racing, practice, travelling, wrenching, reading and spending.

I'm not even especially good at it. But I can't get enough. First to arrive, last to leave. 42 this year, reflexes and eyesight declining fast.

What's the point? The punchline? Why am i wasting my time and yours posting sentimental drivel on the forums??

Well, I thought perhaps it could be a suitable moment to consider love.
It seems to me the most consistent and sustainable of motivators. It's why i keep racing.
Not to win, or feel dominant. It exercises my mind in a way nothing else ever has. It's complex, stressful, time-consuming and really really difficult.

It's humbling and highlights to me a parable of living in a most poetic and salient sense.

I only do well when I focus on my race and stop being insecure about winning or losing. It dictates how smooth and consistent I drive. People who race only to dominate drive in desperation, their cars look unstable, they make more mistakes and 5 minutes racing alongside a total stranger reveals more to me about their character than knowing and talking with them for years.

If they race fair and leave space, they're clearly people I want to be around. If they run me off the road when trying to pass or being passed, I know I'm dealing with an insecure, dysfuctional person and should avoid them- no matter how charismatic they might appear off-track.

It's these motivators that stand out so clearly on a racetrack that determine what kind of people we are; what kind of lives we lead and what we're likely to achieve before we die.

Some, - most, want only to dominate at any cost and grow angry, petty and cruel when they can't.

Others- far less commonly seek something greater and more meaningful.
In racing, in relationships, in life.

JCarr, tomkatn, billdelong and 1 others like this.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Not gonna lie, I appreciate a win, or simply making the podium, perhaps just the A main for a big event... but honestly I prefer club racing over big events, I want to minimize the time I spend watching others race and maximize the time I spend at the track racing as many classes that I reasonably can to balance my track time.

Instead of focusing on my finish place, I keep a log of my personal stats, Hot Lap, Hot Qual, Hot Main, Hot Consistency as well as my stack rank which is a measure of how many people beat rather than what position I finished, this encourages me to race more competitive classes and measure my skill over time to see if I'm improving.

When they change a layout, I reset all my stats and start over with measuring my PR's for each stat, this allows me to "race myself" and I could go home in last place with a smile so long as I break a new PR on one of my stats
mrreet2001, tomkatn and gigaplex like this.
Old 10-21-2022, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Cool thread. I used to have goals about RC racing. I wanted to make the X main or finish in the top Y... whatever.

Still very competitive, but my "philosophy" / goals have changed....
1. Have Fun -- If you're not having fun then do something else.
2. Drive to the best of your ability -- Do what you can do on the track. Don't overdrive and wreck.
3. Drive within what your car's ability -- Sometimes you don't have a great car and it won't be able to do what you want it to do.
4. Don't beat yourself -- 90% of RC racing isn't really racing for position or trying to make a pass on a competitor. Enjoy it when you do get the opportunity to have good clean racing with others.

Just enjoy it.
tomkatn likes this.
Old 10-22-2022, 10:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E1 Diablo
Cool thread. I used to have goals about RC racing. I wanted to make the X main or finish in the top Y... whatever.

Still very competitive, but my "philosophy" / goals have changed....
1. Have Fun -- If you're not having fun then do something else.
2. Drive to the best of your ability -- Do what you can do on the track. Don't overdrive and wreck.
3. Drive within what your car's ability -- Sometimes you don't have a great car and it won't be able to do what you want it to do.
4. Don't beat yourself -- 90% of RC racing isn't really racing for position or trying to make a pass on a competitor. Enjoy it when you do get the opportunity to have good clean racing with others.

Just enjoy it.

Boy oh boy you hit the head of the nail with a huge hammer on number 3 and 4. Wrenching and making adjusments takes time to understand. When you make an adjustment and it's not what you thought it was gonna be, the best thing u can do is drive your car to its ability and that's probably one of the hardest things for most of us to do during a race which also falls into beating yourself. Spot on and probably the best advice anyone could take from this forum. Well said
E1 Diablo likes this.
Old 10-25-2022, 01:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Well said ... 'perspective' came to mind after reading the OP ...

However, I did cringe a bit when I read " 42 this year, reflexes and eyesight declining fast", uffda! ... at almost 30 years beyond that, I need to add focus and memory challenges to that short list... tough to adapt at times in an increasingly technology-oriented world ... a good attitude, and the need to keep a proper perspective sure helps though
Old 10-25-2022, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Default For fun

I have been racing RC for about 10 years, I am 68 years old and have raced at 2 different kind of tracks. By 2 different kinds I mean attitude. I have raced where drivers yell or complain about the slow poke who cannot drive. I currently race at a track where we are all track buddies and laugh with each other. Means nothing to me to get a trophy and more to me to shake hands with a guy who may have unintentionally bumped me during a race. It comes down to ego, nothing wrong with being competitive but you have to let it go when its time to leave the drivers stand.
jiml and 0010 like this.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

I’ve been racing little toy cars since the late 1970’s. Am now staring at 80 years of age. Ya know, racing is racing. How much money you spend, how much you can afford….all factor into what & who you are.

Why race? Ego boost, pure and simple.

But also to prove to yourself that you know how to build and set up one of these monsters. I love the mechanical part of the racing thing. Can I build and improve on what’s out there? Can I make a better handling car than the rest of the racers?

Can I improve on my performance? The old saying that nothing makes you faster that seat/track time is true. I’ve watched guys (guys/gals whatever) start out, not realizing that you have to get off the throttle to make the turn; buy a car that’s way too powerful for there experience level, yet they think ya gotta have all the power ya can get, and then someone who doesn’t have a 4T motor blow their doors off beating them with a 13.5T rig.

I had the pleasure of watching a young gal use patience in her driving, didn’t push to the inside and knock out a competitor, instead, waiting for them to screw up in the next turn (which they did) and now I can’t keep up with her or her brother (who is a little more aggressive) Yep, after more than 40 years of racing I’ve seen my skills diminish (and it is an eye opener, believe me), so now I have to deal with being a B main driver instead of being competitive in the A main. But at least I still have fun and enjoy the new level of competition. And, I can be happy knowing that maybe I had something to do with mentoring younger drivers.

So now I can be known as medium fast and that’s okay with me.
E1 Diablo and oldfool like this.
Old 10-27-2022, 11:05 AM
Tech Lord

To me it is all about a weekend away to have some fun and do the best possible. Sadly in my home country that has become impossible with all idiots only busy to get or maintain sponsorships with no eye for other drivers and even cheating when needed to get podium. So I went to Belgium where for a national about 30 to 40 drivers come together to have a fun weekend.