Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sir 51D3WAYS

Using brakes

Old 08-21-2022, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

Default Using brakes

Been racing for a few years at a local level. Have always found it hard to use braking on corners when racing. Can anyone give me any tips on braking and how they do it and also how they have adjusted braking in their ESC'S.
Any advise is surely appreciated...........I race only electric 1/10 scale..........
Rick
Old 08-21-2022, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Brake before the corner, not during. Turn brake strength down so that full motion on the radio can slow the car enough on the corner that needs it the most, without locking up the wheels, causing belt skip, or slowing the car too much. I prefer to reduce brake strength on the ESC, because if you need to recalibrate your radio and forgot you turned the brakes down on the radio, it'll mess up the calibration.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do you have a one-way differential in the front? That makes a huge difference in braking dynamics.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:08 PM
Tech Champion

You can do what gigaplex says.

My method is to make a series of high speed runs and braking as hard as possible to a halt. As it brakes, observe if the wheels lock up, and see if you can turn as a double check. Reduce brake EPA as necessary, until there is minimal lock up. Usually you will arrive at a brake EPA anywhere from 60%-80%. This should give you a rough starting point, you can adjust from there.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 08-22-2022, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

I like the testing idea. Also I don't seem to have as much finger coordination as others but I'm sure practice will help with that.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

i never adjust my brakes thru esc, Its finger training. Either get ,more practice in or hookup your radio into your computer and practice there. as said its braking b4 the turn.

Last edited by the rc guy; 08-22-2022 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This is more than what you're asking for. Ray Munday put together a couple of videos on weight transfer. The part one is here:

Definitely figure out how to brake hard without locking up the wheels and spinning/sliding out. There are great suggestions in the posts above. Ray takes it to the next step and explains how the tires are reacting whenever the weight transfer. The weight shifts forward during braking, and then Ray does a much better job explaining what happens.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

Default Long Braking Zones

Coming from a grass track background to an astro world where you need braking I found I struggled. I started going to a different track that had a long straight into a hairpin, due to the speed and corner I had to learn to brake, but as it was such a long braking zone you had time to play/vary the braking pressure - this made it mich more natural.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Depends on what I'm driving.

My 2wd slash almost needs brakes to turnMy 8ight x-e brakes at the end of fast sections to transfer weight(and slow me down)
My 22 5.0 I don't use brakes much.