Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Roelof
  • 1 Post By Billy Kelly
  • 1 Post By billdelong

New to racing

Old 07-12-2022, 09:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New to racing

I have a dirt track and a carpet track near me… both run all sorts of classes. That being said if you were new to racing what would you most likely run? Class wise..
Old 07-12-2022, 09:45 AM
Tech Lord

If it is a question to make your choice then I would say hang arround on both and seet what they run and so what does attrack you.
mrreet2001 likes this.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Go spend a couple hours and see what class get good turnouts. For off road, generally 17.5 2wheel buggy and 13.5 4wheel buggy seems to be most common.
Jaredf likes this.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dropkick philly View Post
I have a dirt track and a carpet track near me… both run all sorts of classes. That being said if you were new to racing what would you most likely run? Class wise..
You'll have to find out what you like by yourself, nobody can do that for you. Some people prefer on-road, some off-road. Some touring cars, some pan cars - or buggies or trucks - 2WD or 4WD. It really is a personal preference for all of us.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dropkick philly View Post
I, in particular would prefer the carpet track, as I think it is safer as I am a beginner.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Carpet tends to be easier to learn on because you're not having to chase setup as much with all the grip, however some carpet tracks can be hard on parts if there are hard boards and walls to hit, that's where dirt tracks tend to be more forgiving and less likely to break parts in general, but you'll be chasing setup with which tires to run based on track conditions, etc

Talk to drivers from both tracks and see what the vibe is... pick the track with the friendliest drivers who are willing to help you out. Talk to the faster guys who are winning races, buy the same brand of car they run if they are willing to share their setup sheet with you first.

Good Luck!
motorXhead likes this.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Like everyone else has stated, need to check out both and make that decision for yourself. I myself started out on 1/8 Buggy.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

my kids and me felt that the dirt track gave us a more fun, true off-road experience. Carpet etc just seems more industrial to us. something about the actual dirt jumps etc. but the other side of it carpet would be cleaner. all preference.

from most people i asked when i started 2wd is better to start off with. if you are going to run in a Rookie/Novice class most seem to have it that you "run what you brung", meaning you can run a 2wd, 4wd etc. my kids ran a more stock setup 2wd 17.5 motor setup but not in Blinky mode (Blinky mode is where the electronics is set to no Boost/Turbo). so they had some Boost/Turbo to get a little extra punch. I would say overall what ever you probably pick will not be your end setup as you will try different things and change it up. best thing i can say is just take your time with it and enjoy it!!