Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Club Support for RTR / Out of Box Racing? >

Club Support for RTR / Out of Box Racing?

Like Tree14Likes

Club Support for RTR / Out of Box Racing?

Old 04-06-2021, 12:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It all depends on the track and person. I think the thing that hurts RTR classes is the racers themselves. More often than not, people dip into the hobby with RTR stuff. Then once they decide that they like it, they instantly are looking to upgrade to something else. I don't do on-road but I see it all of the time with offroad. So you might have a group of new drivers that are running a class that is a RTR car. But then they decide that they like racing and end up buying a kit (new or used) and move on from the RTR entry-level vehicle. And then once there aren't enough people to run that machine in a class, it goes away. I've seen it a few times now. Like someone mentioned, you see it with the Slash classes. And even Arrma Typhons are very popular for RTR buggy drivers. I was one of them. But ya, the key to it all is going to be your track and the people participating.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Good posts with valid points.

As we all know, racing is a multifaceted activity no matter the discipline, small scale or full scale. From the manufacturers supplying product down to the individuals at the club level all over the world and no matter what, it's going to cost.

From my perspective, I was interested in the options available for novices interested in going racing who might want to avoid the whole process of figuring out which motor, esc, servo, TX and RX to purchase. RTR pretty much eliminates those variables and associated costs from the equation. Just charge your batteries and drive. I'm thinking about the young folks in this too. For example, how do you transition your 10 year old kid from parking lot bashing to racing on the track if he or she is interested?

As @mrreet2001 and @Hauptmann6 have posted, there are great deals on used vehicles as well. You just have to make sure what your buying still has product support for when things break.

Ultimately, I'm glad there are clubs that are willing to bring novice drivers into the fold with entry level classes.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:35 AM
Tech Rookie

I know it ends up being more costly than RTR but the new TLR 5.0 DC Roller is perfect for this entry level class. We run 21.5, 17.5 and MOD at my local track. One could easily start with a 21.5 motor and basic electronics setup and run in the sportsman class. Once they got faster and better, they can move into the 21.5 class without buying a single new thing. Then as they get faster they can slowly upgrade the car and electronics. In my opinion this is the perfect entry to 2WD offroad racing. You don't have to spend a grand out of the gate and the car can exponentially grow with you.

Another thing my local hobby shop owner does is builds a kit.. usually an Associated buggy.. puts basic electronics in it, includes tires for our track, a paint job, battery and a charger. He charges around $750 - $800 for this setup.

These are both great ways to get new people into the hobby.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TLRacer1127 View Post
I know it ends up being more costly than RTR but the new TLR 5.0 DC Roller is perfect for this entry level class. We run 21.5, 17.5 and MOD at my local track. One could easily start with a 21.5 motor and basic electronics setup and run in the sportsman class. Once they got faster and better, they can move into the 21.5 class without buying a single new thing. Then as they get faster they can slowly upgrade the car and electronics. In my opinion this is the perfect entry to 2WD offroad racing. You don't have to spend a grand out of the gate and the car can exponentially grow with you.

Another thing my local hobby shop owner does is builds a kit.. usually an Associated buggy.. puts basic electronics in it, includes tires for our track, a paint job, battery and a charger. He charges around $750 - $800 for this setup.

These are both great ways to get new people into the hobby.
These are great ideas, for sure.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

It seems a user and all of his posts are wiped so some reactions can be unlogical......
Old 04-10-2021, 08:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
It seems a user and all of his posts are wiped so some reactions can be unlogical......
I think might still be here, just under new identity