Search
Like Tree37Likes

Racing out of Class

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Our novice class has 4-6 regulars. It’s basically one family. Bump one or two up and the class might not run.

Last Friday there were about 8 racers in novice. The week before, there were at least 10.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
People should not be dividing themselves by skill, this only dilutes the classes and makes it difficult to get proper marshaling... not uncommon to see novice mixed with SCT as a "bucket" class which negates any ability to run equal skilled drivers together.

Fortunately the track in my area puts everyone in 1 class and skill level is based on turnout... maybe only 2 heats of ebuggies one week and then 5 heats of buggies the next... so your skill level is determined by how well you qualify on any given day. This also solves the problem of folks wanting to divide classes to increase award opportunity because they award the top 3 in each main which can give the E Main drivers a chance to podium too! Only caveat is that there are no bumps which also speeds up the program.

Drivers are pre-seeded by fast lap time during open practice to get similar skilled drivers together as much as possible during the quals.

The time has come to eliminate "Novice/Sportsman/Expert/Open/Pro"... put the lettered Main on the award plaque and keep it simple.
When I started racing way back in the late 80's early 90's this was how it was done. Only separation besides chassis was stock and mod. Not sure when it went off the rails but after I took a decade off from racing and came back it was no longer the norm. Definitely agree we need to get back to doing it like this.
billdelong likes this.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sugs
When I started racing way back in the late 80's early 90's this was how it was done. Only separation besides chassis was stock and mod. Not sure when it went off the rails but after I took a decade off from racing and came back it was no longer the norm. Definitely agree we need to get back to doing it like this.
Way back then, mod was actually drivable by mere mortals.
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Novice/sportsman/expert. We don’t have this separation. Novice is a catch all that you find buggys and SCT run in. After that it’s either stock or mod.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by sugs

Glad to hear this is how it used to be, I didn't get into club racing until around 2010... back when spec classes were a big thing in our area, then the next thing there were 3 different specs for each class and not enough entries to fill them all, ha!

Lately, the 1/10 program is dead and everyone is running 1/8 only with all mod classes which kinda makes it easy to maintain fewer cars

Only drawback is that 1/8 is far more expensive to get an entry level rig going compared to a Spec Slash.

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Way back then, mod was actually drivable by mere mortals.

I agree, a 10.5T motor today is probably comparable to a mod brushed motor on NiCd back in the day!

Novice/sportsman/expert. We don’t have this separation. Novice is a catch all that you find buggys and SCT run in. After that it’s either stock or mod.

That's where we need to work with the new drivers who may feel intimidated... show them how to follow the lines and let faster drivers pass, then follow the line of the faster driver so they can get faster... the problem with segregated Novice is that they will not have the opportunity to get faster if they are alwaus grouped with slower drivers... the sooner they are mixed in with the main group, the faster they will get "faster"
AHR43 likes this.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

10.5 being like the old mods?
More like the juiced up 17.5Ts. The "timed-out" 13.5t motor with the lipos are about as fast as the the old brushed 8t motors with NiCds.

What blows me away is how these guys control the street cars with modified motors in them. It's almost like watching slot car racing. When you watch their hands turning the wheel, it looks like they have turrets syndrome.
billdelong likes this.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:50 AM
Tech Prophet

The intimation starts before they even get on the track.

I’ve spent nearly every week here but still felt out f place when I look at other pt area
Old 02-11-2021, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

No one would should ever feel intimidated off the track... if so, then there's something seriously wrong with how the program is being operated.... and NO, I'm not talking just about how the owner or RD is running things... this hobby is a collaborative effort. If you see someone new, "IT'S ON US" to go up and introduce ourselves to the new faces. Take the time to answer questions and introduce them around, be a tour guide, etc...

I personally had a bad experience at a track in SoCal once where I was on vacation and didn't have any of my own gear, but used one of my vacation days to do a couple track rentals for my son and me. So here we are with no tools, with RTR quality radios and bare minimum support to race, essentially taking a knife into a gun fight. I tried to make small talk with a handful of locals, and I never felt so isolated before. It was like they took one look at the RTR radio I was holding and then pretty much everyone snubbed me... I was appalled to say the least. There was a click of drivers all wearing matching team driver shirts and I walk up to introduce myself but instead of opening up their circle to me one of the guys closed off the circle and put his back to me to cut me out of the group... WTF?!!!

Needless to say, that is a track that I never care to visit again, but the experience taught a huge lesson on how important it is to be welcoming to new faces, even if just a little smile is all to offer if you're too busy, I didn't even get that from a single person, everyone was laser focused on themselves or in their inner circle of friends... shrug
Cain, petersen114 and gigaplex like this.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No one would should ever feel intimidated off the track... if so, then there's something seriously wrong with how the program is being operated.... and NO, I'm not talking just about how the owner or RD is running things... this hobby is a collaborative effort. If you see someone new, "IT'S ON US" to go up and introduce ourselves to the new faces. Take the time to answer questions and introduce them around, be a tour guide, etc...

I personally had a bad experience at a track in SoCal once where I was on vacation and didn't have any of my own gear, but used one of my vacation days to do a couple track rentals for my son and me. So here we are with no tools, with RTR quality radios and bare minimum support to race, essentially taking a knife into a gun fight. I tried to make small talk with a handful of locals, and I never felt so isolated before. It was like they took one look at the RTR radio I was holding and then pretty much everyone snubbed me... I was appalled to say the least. There was a click of drivers all wearing matching team driver shirts and I walk up to introduce myself but instead of opening up their circle to me one of the guys closed off the circle and put his back to me to cut me out of the group... WTF?!!!

Needless to say, that is a track that I never care to visit again, but the experience taught a huge lesson on how important it is to be welcoming to new faces, even if just a little smile is all to offer if you're too busy, I didn't even get that from a single person, everyone was laser focused on themselves or in their inner circle of friends... shrug

I agree, I started this thread just to see what people thought, our local track has a big turn out with Racing 2 nights a weeks 70-100 entries every night, several classes having 12-14 entries each. besides the occasional guy I see that is to fast in the low class most racers are very friendly and helpful. I personally have walked up to people I never spoke to before and asked for help with my car and received positive response, the help I needed and told to ask anytime. I have witnessed our veteran fast guys come together to help the Novice get his car going to make the race. These are the things I enjoy about the RC community, personally I am not a fast guy , I am just getting back into racing and I like racing with the faster guys just trying to improve on my own speed and consistency.
billdelong likes this.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:13 PM
Tech Prophet

intimated is probably the wrong word. Overwhelmed is probably closer. It’s not the clique that form. It’s the sight of looking at a pit with multiple sets of tires, tool kits that cost more then a few of my cars combined, vacuum pumps for shocks, tires heaters, weight scales. I the guy next to me had 9 sets of new tires to run one class. I don’t have 9 sets for 4 cars.

Now this was a large multi day event. So it looked even more overwhelming then a normal Saturday. But still, just looking at some Saturdays pits, could easily overwhelm most.
billdelong and gigaplex like this.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

You probably interrupted the circle jerk party and made them lose their concentration. (Wait... am I allowed to say that?)

Most people tell me I come off a little un approachable. They tell me I'm a big guy who always looks like he's ticked off. It really kicked in when I was talking to a couple racers and the track and they mentioned that. Sense then, I try to introduce myself to different people who I haven't met. So, for those who I have offended, I apologies.
billdelong and gigaplex like this.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

intimated is probably the wrong word. Overwhelmed is probably closer. It’s not the clique that form. It’s the sight of looking at a pit with multiple sets of tires, tool kits that cost more then a few of my cars combined, vacuum pumps for shocks, tires heaters, weight scales. I the guy next to me had 9 sets of new tires to run one class. I don’t have 9 sets for 4 cars.

Now this was a large multi day event. So it looked even more overwhelming then a normal Saturday. But still, just looking at some Saturdays pits, could easily overwhelm most.

It is a little overwhelming to see all of that really nice expensive stuff. $300 chargers, 4 $100 battery packs, a half dozen pairs of the same tires still in their bags, multiple vehicles, $600 radio, etc... Here I am with one buggy, one set of tires, $65 charger, $25 batteries and a $250 radio. Yup... I'd still be all of them in an arm wrestling match.
billdelong likes this.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
10.5 being like the old mods?
More like the juiced up 17.5Ts. The "timed-out" 13.5t motor with the lipos are about as fast as the the old brushed 8t motors with NiCds.

What blows me away is how these guys control the street cars with modified motors in them. It's almost like watching slot car racing. When you watch their hands turning the wheel, it looks like they have turrets syndrome.
I still run a Gen1 Tekin RS & Redline 10.5 motor in one B6.2... although geared conservatively on the factory timing (15 min run, everything still under 85)... I get passed regularly on the straight by "17.5s" timed and boosted within a few seconds of exploding.

I had a 17.5 that was geared and timed conservatively and cool... but it stopped working and Surpass won't answer my emails.

Today's 17.5 with full boost seems to be somewhere between the 10.5 & 8.5 of a decade ago. I'm currently running modern 7.5 & 8.5 as well btw. Very fast and very cool running.
billdelong likes this.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by purplegrape
I still run a Gen1 Tekin RS & Redline 10.5 motor in one B6.2... although geared conservatively on the factory timing (15 min run, everything still under 85)... I get passed regularly on the straight by "17.5s" timed and boosted within a few seconds of exploding.

I had a 17.5 that was geared and timed conservatively and cool... but it stopped working and Surpass won't answer my emails.

Today's 17.5 with full boost seems to be somewhere between the 10.5 & 8.5 of a decade ago. I'm currently running modern 7.5 & 8.5 as well btw. Very fast and very cool running.

I would get into modified, but I can't afford the repairs. I would have to go out and buy two more buggies. One for each of the two heats and one for the main race. besides, I'm not racing right now, while my kids are racing. it is pretty ridiculous on how fast those punched out 17.5 motors go. I'm just in this for fun. Not winning. Maybe when I get too old to ride dirt bikes, I'll move my funds into RC and get more serious about racing.
AHR43 likes this.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
It is a little overwhelming to see all of that really nice expensive stuff. $300 chargers, 4 $100 battery packs, a half dozen pairs of the same tires still in their bags, multiple vehicles, $600 radio, etc... Here I am with one buggy, one set of tires, $65 charger, $25 batteries and a $250 radio. Yup... I'd still be all of them in an arm wrestling match.
If I’d tried starting with Saturday racing, I’m not sure I’d have lasted. At least on Wednesdays nights there were a few of us with sparse pits. That really didn’t know what we were doing.

Try finding yourself on the drivers stand for practice and realize your the only non Xray or TLR team driver. Wasn’t till that night I realized, and can now say I ran laps with Ty Tessmann. Yeah he was 4 second a lap faster. But I didn’t get in the way during practice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.