Is R/C Racing Dying Off >

Is R/C Racing Dying Off

Like Tree234Likes

Is R/C Racing Dying Off

Old 08-01-2022, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadrashracing2 View Post
Has drag racing died off in your area, local group used to get 20-25 people every week. I give it a try this year and numbers are no more then 10.
Its picked up in our area, our VXL class really picked up.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie View Post
I would see guys coming in with a full shop of equipment. It's like they plan on doing a complete rebuild of the entire car between races. I remember seeing guys come out with commutator cutters and motor zappers. It was strictly for show. Why would you not take care of that prep work at home?
Comm cutters were always common in the pits, by me motor zappers not so much. people would refresh the coms before the mains or if they burned up the brushes, depending on how many motors they had.
jiml likes this.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Oh... I get that, but these are things that they already did before the race. They just brought it "just-in-case."
It sucks to get to the track, and then have to pack up and go home because you didn't bring something "just in case".
Old 08-02-2022, 05:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
It sucks to get to the track, and then have to pack up and go home because you didn't bring something "just in case".
Yes it does. Over here, if you run one of the 3 main brands, Xray/TLR/Associated, pretty safe that someone will have a spare.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

I would see guys coming in with a full shop of equipment. It's like they plan on doing a complete rebuild of the entire car between races. I remember seeing guys come out with commutator cutters and motor zappers. It was strictly for show. Why would you not take care of that prep work at home?
Oh... I get that, but these are things that they already did before the race. They just brought it "just-in-case."
Was it just in case or was it prep work they should have done at home?
AHR43 and gigaplex like this.
Old 08-02-2022, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It was stuff you can do from home. Why would you have to turn your commutator at the track, or zapp the magnets at the track. Each needs to be tested before racing. I'm still trying to understand tire warmers for dirt/clay tracks.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

It was stuff you can do from home. Why would you have to turn your commutator at the track, or zapp the magnets at the track. Each needs to be tested before racing. I'm still trying to understand tire warmers for dirt/clay tracks.
Commutators often got trued between qualifying and finals.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

There are plenty of reasons why you wouldn't do stuff at home.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post

They had pretty good turnout north of me. The two local groups, northern and central Illinois are still running. But havenít seen as much posted this summer as last
Wow that's a lot of cars, my work schedule prevents me from going drag racing the night everyone goes. It started as run what you brung but now its turning into 4-5 different classes with 8-10 drivers.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:59 AM
Tech Prophet

Wow that's a lot of cars, my work schedule prevents me from going drag racing the night everyone goes. It started as run what you brung but now its turning into 4-5 different classes with 8-10 drivers.
weíve got a local group down here. Iím not getting into drag racing. Already got enuff classes. And I donít like the cash money part. Usually brings out the ugly side.

Think it might have been bigger last year. But that definitely a good turnout
Old 08-03-2022, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
weíve got a local group down here. Iím not getting into drag racing. Already got enuff classes. And I donít like the cash money part. Usually brings out the ugly side.

Think it might have been bigger last year. But that definitely a good turnout
Its hard to get anyone to do anything rc up here. It was easier to get a group together during covid. Figure people are vacationing a lot more this year.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:46 PM
Tech Prophet

Its hard to get anyone to do anything rc up here. It was easier to get a group together during covid. Figure people are vacationing a lot more this year.
We had our highest entries at ThunderDome Sunday with 27 for 40 entries for on road. Iíve heard a number from Wisconsin have been coming down to run pavement with the Great Lakes group.

Most are off running 1/8. Which I understand just lost a track with Clark Park closing
Old 08-03-2022, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Are you kidding? We cut comms every run. God bless brushless motors!
nitrous36, AHR43, gigaplex and 1 others like this.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For alot of racers, I reckon they use warmers either to get the traction compound into the rubber faster, or to get the tires up to temp so they'll have more grip from the start of a run
gigaplex likes this.
Old 08-15-2022, 05:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here in Quťbec Canada it Picked Up in the last year quite a bit , 1/10 offroad at my local track had 80+ entries every saturday. Onroad is a Little slow , but still Alive.

Oval both dirt and carpet still have their die hard guys aswell , but less newcomers.

And in the summer the 1/8th and 1/5th offroad classes are pretty Popular Maybe 20-30 entries every saturday.

But in the Winter the New indoor complex is a God send I saw 100+ attendees and 40guys just running 2wd stock class. Its Packed but really fun.
jiml and ChocoTaco73 like this.