Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Is R/C Racing Dying Off >

Is R/C Racing Dying Off

Like Tree560Likes

Is R/C Racing Dying Off

Old 07-22-2022, 10:08 AM
  #391  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (9)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 17,222
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
I'm pretty sure every racer started out being highly intimidated on their first race day.
probably true. But probably depends on when got into hobby. Did they start out racing right away. Or did they eventually move towards it. Iíve raced with a few that have never once, their words, even though of just goin to a park or parking lot to run something.

Billy Kelly is offline  
Old 07-22-2022, 10:55 AM
  #392  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
OffRoadJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: California
Posts: 3,715
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
probably true. But probably depends on when got into hobby. Did they start out racing right away. Or did they eventually move towards it. Iíve raced with a few that have never once, their words, even though of just goin to a park or parking lot to run something.

I have competed in many types of competitions, from typical sports, motorcycle racing, RC Racing, sound competitions, shooting, fishing, etc... Everyone I ever talked to at these events were nervous to some degree. Being nervous is pretty much the same as being intimidated. Whether it's due having an audience or just being in the competition. Anyone who is able to walk up to a drivers stand without the slight bit of nervousness is either really arrogant or one chill and laid back person.
OffRoadJunkie is offline  
Old 07-22-2022, 05:17 PM
  #393  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (5)
 
trackdesigner71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lynchburg/Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 5,553
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Lemme tell you...when I I to Cleveland to run the US Carpet Offroad Champs last year, I could barely sleep ahead of day 1 of qualifying. Heck, I was a mess before my first club race with my T5M. There's something different about watching racing as opposed to being up on that stand racing yourself
mrreet2001 likes this.
trackdesigner71 is offline  
Old 07-25-2022, 09:03 AM
  #394  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Midwest
Posts: 106
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Iíve been racing every week for 2 years. Thereís times when a look at others pits and wonder if I really belong. Itís a block just gotta get passed.

I started on the Wednesday night racing. Smaller turnouts.
Thatís a great idea to start at smaller events.
RacingRookie27 is offline  
Old 07-25-2022, 10:22 AM
  #395  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (9)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 17,222
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RacingRookie27
Thatís a great idea to start at smaller events.
First Saturday race I did. Got snapped at for not going up on drivers stand in order. Something never knew about. Since Wednesday night everyone just went up in whatever order the wanted
killer rock likes this.
Billy Kelly is offline  
Old 07-25-2022, 11:29 AM
  #396  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
mrreet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,830
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
First Saturday race I did. Got snapped at for not going up on drivers stand in order. Something never knew about. Since Wednesday night everyone just went up in whatever order the wanted
"In order" What order?
killer rock likes this.
mrreet2001 is offline  
Old 07-25-2022, 11:56 AM
  #397  
Tech Adept
 
oldfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 116
Default

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
I'm pretty sure every racer started out being highly intimidated on their first race day.
I've never been intimidated playing with toy cars. =)
First time I saw rc cars was on the smallest driveway track ever.
I bought a car and was racing the next weekend.

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
Being nervous is pretty much the same as being intimidated.
Not really IMO. I didn't start getting nervous until I started making a-mains and going to regionals and nationals.

But once the race starts I'm fine.
When I raced karts I would be about to throw up and as soon as the engine fired... no problem.
oldfool is offline  
Old 07-25-2022, 12:22 PM
  #398  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (9)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 17,222
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
"In order" What order?
This driver expected everyone to go on to the stand in order they qualified/listed on starting sheet. So if you were listed as 5-6th. They expected you to wait till the other 4 went up first.

Itís only happened once. But still remember it clearly
Billy Kelly is offline  
Old 07-25-2022, 12:26 PM
  #399  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
mrreet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,830
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
This driver expected everyone to go on to the stand in order they qualified/listed on starting sheet. So if you were listed as 5-6th. They expected you to wait till the other 4 went up first.
Itís only happened once. But still remember it clearly
Good grief.
mrreet2001 is offline  
Old 07-25-2022, 06:00 PM
  #400  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Kregger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,553
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Its not unheard of for trophy races and bigger events, never saw it pulled for club racing.
jiml, Billy Kelly and killer rock like this.
Kregger is offline  
Old 07-25-2022, 06:54 PM
  #401  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (9)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 17,222
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Kregger
Its not unheard of for trophy races and bigger events, never saw it pulled for club racing.
The drivers stand was actually numbered. But most just usually picked what gave the best viewpoint.



killer rock likes this.
Billy Kelly is offline  
Old 07-25-2022, 07:01 PM
  #402  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (9)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 17,222
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
I have competed in many types of competitions, from typical sports, motorcycle racing, RC Racing, sound competitions, shooting, fishing, etc... Everyone I ever talked to at these events were nervous to some degree. Being nervous is pretty much the same as being intimidated. Whether it's due having an audience or just being in the competition. Anyone who is able to walk up to a drivers stand without the slight bit of nervousness is either really arrogant or one chill and laid back person.
Itís more in the pit area. And more so with on road. I got a tool kit and the pit next to me has tire warmers, motor tester, soldering station, setup station, tool kit worth more then my cars.

First few on clay was very nervous. Had no idea what to expect. The first 10 buggy heat I didnít breathe for about 2 minutes. Think there was a 6 lap difference between 1st and 10th. And I was I middle.
Billy Kelly is offline  
Old 07-26-2022, 06:28 AM
  #403  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Midwest
Posts: 106
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
First Saturday race I did. Got snapped at for not going up on drivers stand in order. Something never knew about. Since Wednesday night everyone just went up in whatever order the wanted
Geez that sounds petty
RacingRookie27 is offline  
Old 07-26-2022, 04:28 PM
  #404  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
OffRoadJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: California
Posts: 3,715
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Itís more in the pit area. And more so with on road. I got a tool kit and the pit next to me has tire warmers, motor tester, soldering station, setup station, tool kit worth more then my cars.

First few on clay was very nervous. Had no idea what to expect. The first 10 buggy heat I didnít breathe for about 2 minutes. Think there was a 6 lap difference between 1st and 10th. And I was I middle.

I get why people do that. They love the hobby and can't get enough of it. Look at the guys who build a show car. Although it has everything you can think of on it, they are still looking for ways to add more. I have a CR500 dirtbike. one of the most powerful dirtbikes ever made. There is no way in heck I would ever use all the power this things puts out. However, I am still adding mods to make it faster.
nitrous36 and Billy Kelly like this.
OffRoadJunkie is offline  
Old 07-27-2022, 12:26 AM
  #405  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
DirkW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,185
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Kregger
Its not unheard of for trophy races and bigger events, never saw it pulled for club racing.
I've heard of it on big races (it's meant so that the fastest qualifier can choose his favorite spot, than the second, etc.) Not a bad system - but I have never been to a race where it was actually used. And if it was, it should be communicated better, earlier and friendlier - on the other hand maybe it was. Inevitably during the drivers' meeting, there's always some people who obviously don't listen to the race director and instead talk and joke around with each other, missing some information - or make others miss it, while some people don't even attend the meeting... lots than can go wrong there.
Billy Kelly and killer rock like this.
DirkW is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.