Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
I have 👍 of the Parks director for a new track, Q's about actually doing it. >

I have 👍 of the Parks director for a new track, Q's about actually doing it.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BudgetRacer631

I have 👍 of the Parks director for a new track, Q's about actually doing it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 03:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Default I have 👍 of the Parks director for a new track, Q's about actually doing it.

Hi all,

I went to my city's(where I work in IT) Parks and Rec director asking about the viability of a new R/C track and how the city may be able to help. He was very receptive, even showing me a couple possible locations that would cost the eventual club zero for rent. One location is more near homes than the other, and he said based on the nearest neighborhood it would be wise to limit the track to electric only to keep it quiet. Not ideal for nitro lovers but better than no track for anybody.

I am looking for is advice from people who have dealt with committees, councils and potential "not in my backyard" types. Our city is a middle class, educated base, the university is one of the biggest employers in the area. It's the bluest city in a red state. I want to bring them more benefits beside "it's a great family/father son mom daughter" type thing. What things does your club do to give back to the community if any? STEM programs to bring science of R/C to kids?

Thanks everybody!

(Location left out intentionally until we feel like it's coming together enough to formally present)
Old 08-12-2020, 06:29 AM
Tech Initiate

hey big green,
props to ya for looking into bringing a new race track to your club. I'm not sure if anything I say here will help ya but ya never know.
out by me I'm just getting into NPRC (No Prep RC Drag racing) went to one gathering a few weeks ago and I got hooked. the group though does not have a permanent location I learned after investing into a rc drag car. anyway looks like our group is going to be mobile and meeting bi weekly run the top 10 list and when we have built up a nice following they are even talking about doing a cash days event. unless I take to drag racing like it came naturally to me which I know it wont I will be pasing on the cash day races until I feel I am an actual contender. no sense in throwing my hard earned money away for nothing.
back in the mid to late 1980's I was a member of a club that had weekly races over the summer behind a hobby shop the club had the blessings from.and for a few years life was great. but as with Life things change and circumstances change and the economy changes no more club no more race track. enough of this
I just want to share some thoughts if you get the ball rolling on this your group needs to adhere to an agreed upon Code of conduct!!!!
No burnouts ,speeding (full-size car)
No Drama
Practice social distances
Watch your language we want this to be family friendly environment
Pick up after your self NO garbage left behind including cigarette butts.
Thank you
Remember this is for fun let’s grow the sport
and be sure to tell the nitro guys leave them home the group doesnt need the bs noise they bring to neighborhood. and last thing you want is the neighborhood pissed off due to one nitro guy testing his equipment at your site.
biggreen likes this.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Check out the Hoosier RC Racers Club. https://www.hrcracers.com/OurClub.html

They worked with the Town of Avon, Indiana to build an outdoor electric offroad track that is free for public use in one of the local parks. It was a long process and involved a lot of meetings with the local town council. Scott Black who is one of the founding members of the club, was instrumental in getting this project completed as he had previous experience dealing with local goverments. One of the things that helped this project was that they had clear goals including proposed drawings of the land and track to present to the town before a single blade of grass was disturbed. The other thing that helped was the non-profit club was created before they began the process of looking for a site to build a permanent track. All this prep work was very important when dealing with government as they could see the club was a serious entity and was prepared to answer any questions that local politicians may have had.

I would contact this club as they should be able to share some of their insight which includes positive and negative experiences with building a track. At a minimum, you might want to reach out to your local r/c community to see if there are any individuals who work with local governments or at architectural firms as this can be helpful when trying to begin the process of presenting your plans.

Hope this information helps.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Indy! I looked them up just now- the Avon Trak36 is now my main inspiration! Glad you chimed in, I am using a few of their photos to take to a commision meeting tonight.
They have done an amazing job and the site is immaculate. The club at the City of Seatac near Seattle also has a nicely done track too. I will definitely be getting ahold of Avon to get some info. Thank you!