Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racing in the right class?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 09:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Racing in the right class?

So I've been racing off and on for the last few years. And have been running in the 2wd sport class. I am normally mid pac with a few wins sprinkled in. At the track I am running at currently they have a 40+ class and am wondering if that might be the place for me. I'm not overly concerned about winning, I know there are faster guys in both classes than me so was just wanted to get some other opinions. Witch class I should go with
Old 02-27-2020, 09:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Never thought about there being classes by age. In my limited time in the race side. I’d guess the average age was mid 40s
Old 02-28-2020, 05:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Rule of thumb is running with faster drivers will push you harder to drive faster... if you are the fastest driver in your group then you will not get any faster without anyone pushing on you.

I would pick the group with the fastest overall drivers in the top 3 and run with that respective group.

I have come to appreciate the concept of combining everyone together and sort the groups based on how they qualify... no bumps, and increase awards to the top 3 in each division... from A Main down to however many lower mains there are... this gives the lower division drivers a chance to be recognized for their accomplishment so we don't have to dilute the number of classes which invariably causes bigger problems with turn-marshaling and sandbaggers.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

If your in the middle of your pack it wont really matter where you go.. Just go to have fun.. as long as your 40+ id race in that bunch....A older group might be a little more name calling and aggressive when your racing them.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Hmmm … any over 65 classes around ?

I would opt to run where there seems to be the most respect for each other on the track, with more concern for good racing (all through the pack) than 'win at all costs' no matter who you have to run over … if either of your options would describe such a class, it just makes it more enjoyable … and cheaper if you are on a fixed income ...
Old 03-02-2020, 04:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Is there any reason you can't run both? Double the track time for the same amount of time spent at the track
Old 03-14-2020, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Right, more track time if you run both. Practice does not compare to actual racing and in my case, I get better after each qualifier and the mains. This said, my local track only has one 2wd buggy class.