Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Most reliable electronics for racing? >

Most reliable electronics for racing?

Most reliable electronics for racing?

Old 01-18-2020, 10:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Most reliable electronics for racing?

Just got the TLR 1/8 8ight XE kit, and I was wondering what electronics combo will have better long term reliability the Tekin RX8 Gen 3 with the Tekin T8 Gen 3 1900kv or the Orion Vortex R8 ProX Extreme ESC with the Orion VST 2 PRO 1900kv. Plus their respective servos or the Hobbywing version? Would you please help me decide? Reliability is all I care. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-19-2020, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

I have grown to rely on HobbyWing, they take a fair amount of abuse and tend to last 2+ years in my cars before I start to get any gremlins, plus they offer deep discounts to replace any damaged ESC's outside of warranty.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tekin motors are good, I can't say for the gen 3's but the gen 2's are not reliable at all. Tekins customer service is great but hobbywing is the go to it seems at our tracks. I burn't 2 gen 2's within one season of racing once a month and personally won't buy another tekin ESC.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

No Offense, Orion is possibly the worst brand to run hands down. I have run their Motors Nitro and Brushless, and the Support in the US and Europe is Horrible! I have run Trinity, LRP, Orion, Tekin, Hacker, Ruddog and SMC. Since making the switch to HW 3 Years ago, thats all I have run, in Truggy, TC, Buggy, F1, and 1:8 Onroad. I love their support, the customer base is also very knowledgable as well. I do like that both PC based and handheld programmers are easy to use. Not to mention for the money there is a lot of Value!
Old 01-22-2020, 01:33 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

In general I have had great luck with the Tekin RX8 Gen3 ESC and the Tekin motors (variety here from past and present). Hobbywing stuff in the past same as well.

For servos have ran a variety here too, most recently Tekin servos. In general stuff from Protek (higher end stuff), Tekin, Futaba, Hitec have been good to me. Hitec having one of the best customer service experiences, sent in a servo to just have an issue fixed, they did it without charge (refusing money when I offered) and cleaned it up beyond what I wanted, etc.

Ultimately I think something to keep in mind is that anything can fail, some people have worse luck than others, and that's not to discount their experiences as bad things happen, sometimes you become the person who gets to experience it more than others.

The big thing to look for is how well the company offers support for the product when something does happen. If you find you are concerned about warranty relative to how long you own a product, I know people who use the product only as long as the warranty applies, then sell and get a new one.

Another thing, if you can swing it, its not bad to have a spare in the box.