• 1 Post By AHR43
  • 1 Post By sweems
  • 1 Post By BugleBoy10

Not how to tune, but WHEN to tune

Old 11-21-2019, 10:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Not how to tune, but WHEN to tune

I have read numerous articles and threads on how to tune this or that, but I feel ill equipped for telling when to do what. It's getting a little better, like last weekend when I noticed the buggy was oversteering too much. I laid the rear shocks down more, stood the front shocks up more, and eventually swapped the ribbed fronts out for pins (or was I just imagining an improvement?). Still, I find myself having difficulty telling what the car is doing and which of the plethora of tuning options would be best to start with in correcting it.

So, is there a guide that says something like "If you feel this on the track, try doing this"?
gigaplex likes this.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:09 AM
Tech Champion

There are several ways to tune the setup.

As an example, you want more steer, you can do:
- enlarge the servo EPA or D/R
- play with the shocks/spings, make it softer
- change the ackerman
- change the caster/camber
- soften the anti roll bar

And if you can not find more then take away from the rear:
- less toe-in
- less spoiler
- harden the shocks/springs
- stiffer anti rol bar
- less toe-in

As you can see, many options for just one goal and every racer has his own aproach what to do.
I play a lot with toe-in, servo adjustment, caster, camber and shock positions because they take less time to change
BugleBoy10 likes this.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

Hey BB. Feel your pain. When I get lost in my set up, I change back to factory kit build or factory out-of-the-box set up. Doing that on my grass track oval with my RC10's picked me up 1-2sec per 10 lap timed session. Obviously, I'm not all that good at set up. So now am just playing around with ESC and radio settings before venturing back into chassis set up. Cheers and Good Luck. AC
BugleBoy10 likes this.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AHR43 View Post
Hey BB. Feel your pain. When I get lost in my set up, I change back to factory kit build or factory out-of-the-box set up. Doing that on my grass track oval with my RC10's picked me up 1-2sec per 10 lap timed session. Obviously, I'm not all that good at set up. So now am just playing around with ESC and radio settings before venturing back into chassis set up. Cheers and Good Luck. AC
I have done ok by copying expert setups on petiterc and making little adjustments from there, but I figure the top guns arenít one step behind everyone else. They are ahead of everyone else. Iím learning and. Pricing little things, but at this rate Iíll be 200 by the time I can accurately evaluate a setup.
AHR43 likes this.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

"WHEN to tune" is an easy answer... It's when the vehicle is not able to do what you as the driver want.
AHR43 and BugleBoy10 like this.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BugleBoy10 View Post

I have done ok by copying expert setups on petiterc and making little adjustments from there, but I figure the top guns arenít one step behind everyone else. They are ahead of everyone else. Iím learning and. Pricing little things, but at this rate Iíll be 200 by the time I can accurately evaluate a setup.
Was not familiar with the above (in bold red) term and could not find it in my dictionary. So googled it and came up with PetitRC Set Up Sheet Data Base. Thanks. Bookmarked it for possible use in the future. I come close enough for my purposes in evaluating a set up by using the up timer on my radio, backed up by a good old-fashioned mechanical stop watch. A personal timing system is on my 'wish list', but until then what I'm using now gives me good feedback. Cheers and Good Luck. BB. Stick with it. You'll eventually settle into a set up method that works for you and your car. AC
BugleBoy10 likes this.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
"WHEN to tune" is an easy answer... It's when the vehicle is not able to do what you as the driver want.
Well stated, Mahjik. Set up sheets are a good guide. Ultimately, it is the relationship the driver establishes with the car as a preferred driving style emerges.

That is one reason I went back to factory set up on my RC10's. Figure that set up was settled on by AE as the set up that works for most people most of the time on most of the tracks. My racing program relies on radio tuning as the primary 'set up tool'. At least for now. It is a slow process, making one or at most two changes at a time to see how it effects handling and performance. Cheers and Regards. AC
BugleBoy10 likes this.

Last edited by AHR43; 11-23-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: insert a paragraph break
Old 11-23-2019, 08:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Also on the petitrc site with the xray cars are setup helpers. They show what the adjustments will do. Not sure what car you are looking to setup but look for a similar car and you may find some good information in those helpers. I haven't seen them for other brands just the xrays.
AHR43 likes this.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

When to tune - I sometimes have the same problem - you know it's not right, but you are not sure why. Ask another driver to try your car, and / or ask someone to watch your car. Depending on experience, it can be hard to digest handling problems while trying to go faster.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by belewis01 View Post
When to tune - I sometimes have the same problem - you know it's not right, but you are not sure why. Ask another driver to try your car, and / or ask someone to watch your car. Depending on experience, it can be hard to digest handling problems while trying to go faster.
Precisely. Itís also sometimes difficult to tell when a car is performing poorly because of a bad setup, and what itís because of a crummy driver. Iíve had people drove my car, but sometimes they have a different driving style and preferences. Iím starting to realize which pros I tend to like the setups of over others.
AHR43 likes this.