Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sacmiata

Offroad stock esc boost

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Offroad stock esc boost

So a fast guy let me ride his car for a few laps during the race night break, noticed his ESC wasn't on blinky mode. That is part of why I'm losing faith on stock club racing and thinking about moving to mod but that's besides the point.

Considering a good driver is boosting his ESC when racing stock, would that make big difference? Or is boosting 17.5 pointless? I felt like he had a lot of torque, but also a lot of straightway speed.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

Boosted with turbo is great, I ran my esc that way before it was outlawed. It makes a 17.5 look much faster(10.5 or 13.5) than it should be, when it was legal 17.5 buggy was maybe .2/lap slower than mod, some 17.5 guys turn on boost and run their buggies in mod for more track time and aren't that far off pace. You, the other drivers and your race director should notice the speed differential between that buggy and all the others. Last time I accidentally left it on it was immediately noticed when the car wound out down the straight. RD made a comment immediately, I pulled the car at about 2 minutes in since I didn't mean to run boost and had way too much gear on the car and didn't want to burn up the motor. It was fun though.

Because he can run less static timing he gets great torque coming out of turns then the boost kicks in giving his buggy great acceleration and top end speed.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Boosted off road was great. Good top speeds for the straight. Torque in the infield. Motors ran decently cool. Still wimpy enough for stock class racers to enjoy.

The ''have not's'', and guys who can't stop licking the track windows long enough to figure out setting boost timing, ruined it for everyone. Blinky was vital to on road, but useless in off road.

Welcome to mod.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Was just looking at a outlaw motor. Might as well double up and boost that while I am at it! Kidding but I imagine that most club races are all on the honor system like mine. That being said all the fast guys usually are more then open to talk about setup and pit with the rest of the top guys. It only would take getting caught once to get branded. Now the discharging and overcharging game is strong at my club but it's out in the open and blatant and not against our rules.

For me a faster motor or boost wouldn't stop me from flipping over or hitting the pipes!
Slashripper likes this.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yea it will definitely make a difference
Old 11-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Tech Champion

Discharging is a bit overrated. It works, but I rarely use it for more than battery conditioning. If left my discharger at home on accident, I wouldn't feel undergunned at all.

As usual, the ''have-nots'' are the only ones crying foul.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Boost and turbo allow you to move the timing of the motor as the distortion increases between the rotor and winding. It allows you to keep efficiency as rpms increase. If used this way it also makes for a much cooler motor because most heat comes from acceleration unless you are on a very long and straight track. A much cooler motor can also deliver significantly more power over the entire run. Over timing the motor generates too much heat as well. Good for a burst or two but not lots of bursts.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Boost and timing advance is not allowed in stock racing (aka. blinky mode) ..I have raced with a bunch that used boost and timing in there esc also used 13.5 to 10.5 in blinky 17.5 .. many others won heats and mains due to there poor driving skills even with there 15+ years in there tracks.I use both now in open class.never used in blinky racing..
Old 11-21-2019, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Since most club racing doesn't even have prize money, I don't get why people still cheat. Personally, I wouldn't have the satisfaction of accomplishment, which is basically the only prize on the line. I have definitely seen cars suspiciously faster than mine down the main straight... but the drivers were always unable to handle them and I'd just pass them as soon as they cased it (which usually didn't take long). As for me, I still case it on occasion, and that's what ultimately keeps me from contending with the top drivers, so boosting my motor would probably just make me join the erratic drivers club, and my competitors would notice my car beating them down the straights suspiciously.