• 3 Post By kutless
  • 1 Post By kutless
  • 1 Post By 10racer

Beginner Off-Road Class

Old 10-31-2019, 08:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Beginner Off-Road Class

Hey fellas, I tried searching for this but I failed to find much both on the rctech search and in Google...

So I have been in the hobby off and on since I was a little kid in the 90s just with the toy radio shack kind of stuff, in like 2003 of 2004 I got a Traxxas Stampede for Christmas when I was 10 or so and it opened up a whole new world for me! Prior to my parents buying me that truck I didn't know that hobby grade RCs even existed. It was my first love. I still have that stampede by the way. Over the next several years I increased my fleet and discovered RC Car Action magazine. With that I discovered RC racing, this was very intriguing to me so I started searching for a track near me, I live in a small town in a fairly rural area in North Central Ohio so not much in the way of RC tracks at the time. Eventually after a few years I found out about the Medina RC Raceway which is a little over an hour from me so I went to check it out and watch their Iron Man race which was pretty cool. At the time I didn't really have anything in the way of racing vehicles because I was a basher so I just took what I had one time on a non race day and gave it a go and it was alot of fun. Unfortunately driving an hour and 15 minutes each way wasn't really realistic for me so I never really got into racing. Fast forward several years and a few off and on breaks from the hobby and a new hobby shop opens up in my town, about 2 blocks from my house , Daniels Hobbies (recently renamed Rob's Hobbies) and it just kinda relit the fire for RC. Last year the shop opened up a little indoor on-road track and I tried a little practice with my sportwerks recoil to see if I enjoyed it and I may enter a class. About 3 months ago a friend of mine told me about an off-road track he knew of about 10 minutes from me so I checked it out. There's no timing system and no classes, it's basically a run what you brung just for fun place and it's a blast. The owner is very generous and charges no fees and allows people to come and go as they please he only asks that people help maintain the track. I've managed to make it out there about 5 times so far and hope to atleast one more time before the weather gets too bad. All the guys out there are super friendly and willing to chat and answer questions, it's a really cool place. I think it will be a good place to help build my driving skills.

So now the point of all of this.. since I'm very new to driving on a track and it's a whole other animal than bashing I have a few questions for you more experienced guys. Firstly what class of vehicle do you guys think is best to learn good habbits and advance as a driver with? I have 2wd and 4wd short course trucks, 2wd buggy, 4wd buggy, and stadium truck. I've got at least 1 pack through all of them at the track and I have the hardest time with the short course trucks, the 2wd is a particular handful. I do best with the 4wd buggy but I'm more concerned right now with learning to drive a good line and develop good habbits than going fast. The track is on the small side, it's hard packed dirt with a little bit of dust on top, especially in the corners and some ruts here and there. I would love to hear any feedback or advice that anyone has. Thanks.
AHR43 and Bsthetech like this.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

Hello kutless. Great post. Glad you never left the hobby and are looking to jump in now with both feet. You have a good selection of 1/10 RC to choose a class from.

Based on what you have said and what you like driving, seems like 1/10 4WD bug is a good place to begin. And it is a popular class. Not sure how acceptable it is in a Novice Class-mid Ohio, though. Best ask around on that. Perhaps start Novice with the 2WD SC and migrate to the wheeler bug as you progress?

Caveat here, with one other suggestion. Appears there is the beginnings of a 1/10 off-road migration from outdoor dirt to indoor turf. Might want to check that out as well in your decision-making process.

Personally, I like the 2WD ST, and you have one. But I am in the minority there, and there is not a lot of support about for that class. So, regrettably, will not offer that as a viable option. Cheers, Good Luck and Good Racing. AC

Old 10-31-2019, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AHR43 View Post
Hello kutless. Great post. Glad you never left the hobby and are looking to jump in now with both feet. You have a good selection of 1/10 RC to choose a class from.

Based on what you have said and what you like driving, seems like 1/10 4WD bug is a good place to begin. And it is a popular class. Not sure how acceptable it is in a Novice Class-mid Ohio, though. Best ask around on that. Perhaps start Novice with the 2WD SC and migrate to the wheeler bug as you progress?

Caveat here, with one other suggestion. Appears there is the beginnings of a 1/10 off-road migration from outdoor dirt to indoor turf. Might want to check that out as well in your decision-making process.

Personally, I like the 2WD ST, and you have one. But I am in the minority there, and there is not a lot of support about for that class. So, regrettably, will not offer that as a viable option. Cheers, Good Luck and Good Racing. AC
​​​​I really enjoy the stadium truck. I have an old Duratrax Evader. It's probably my favorite of the 2wd cars. It's more forgiving and I think alot easier to jump than short course and buggy. I've still got alot to learn though as far a tuning goes so once I get that down I think it will help me as well. I know a few years ago 4wd short course was the main class around here but I'm not sure these days. I would have to get on the Facebook page and check on that. As far as the 4wd buggy goes (B44.2) it just gets Around the track a little cleaner for me but it doesn't jump as easily as the stadium truck.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AHR43 View Post
. AC
Thanks, I'm probably more excited about the hobby than I have been in years. I'm also a brand new father so I'm really pumped about getting my son into it in a few years.
AHR43, 10racer and Bsthetech like this.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

2wd buggy will make you the best driver..
Old 10-31-2019, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
2wd buggy will make you the best driver..
Thank you! That's exactly what I'm looking for. So I'll focus on 2wd buggy as my primary and stadium truck as my secondary.
AHR43 likes this.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

2wd carpet 1/12th scale on road, will make you the best driver. Carpet on road has a ton of decent options in Ohio right now.

2wd buggy isn't any fun for some racers. Very picky about expensive tires. Go to your local tracks and watch more racing. I hated the time I wasted in 2wd buggy gluing and cutting up hundreds of tires. Not to mention that the average racer in that class has been running that class, and only that class, every single week for the past 30 years. Pick a class that isn't so stagnant, that you can be competitive in, within a year or two. It looks like a beginner class, but it requires nitro 1/8th scale on road levels of commitment.

You need to go to EN Hobbies, if you're in Central Ohio. Carpet off road and carpet on road. Top quality raceway. No more indoor dirt. 13.5 4wd buggy is a blast.

EN Hobbies
Last I checked, off road Sat. On road Sun.

Stateline Rc (big outdoor track like Medina)
Medina Rc Raceway (free practice all week which is nice)
NORCAR at the Gate. (carpet on road)
Access Hobby (carpet on road way down in Springfield)
Austintown (carpet on road)
The Factory (crcrc, indoor clay)
Toledo 1/8th racers (nitro on road and Midwest series)
No idea what's up in Ashtabula right now? Haven't been there in a decade.

Your b44 should jump 100 times better than a stadium truck. They can fly like 8th scales on 8th scale tracks. Likely just needs some work. If you enjoy 4wd buggy, stick with it. Gluing tires for it still sucks, but they have a much wider tuning window for each set.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 10-31-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

My local track, Rob's Hobbies, is an indoor turf track. They run stock TT-01 and an open 1/10 touring class mainly, with a few others sprinkled in. They are trying to get a 1/12 pan car class started. I'll have to keep my eye on it. As far as the jumping it's not that the ST jumps better than the b44 it's that I can jump the ST better. Bigger tires and wider track makes it easier to recover from a bad landing plus it's easier for me to correct in the air. But I suppose that could be forming bad habbits.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Kutless, good luck, my two cents. 4wd is the easiest to drive for everyone because of the traction and handling so the problem is you feel faster compared to your other cars which is true, but compared to other drivers, 4wd is very competitive, you will have a tough time. If you do it, do 13.5T stock, but you'll need to update the b44. Not the best car, especially durability, and I'm sure parts availability. I had a friend get into the hobby with that and ended up quitting because it was always broken. 4wd do break more even with the new cars. The most fun from a driving and competing stand point as a starter is 2wd buggy 17.5T. You become a better driver for sure. ST isn't as popular but probably the most fun and is picking up in popularity so start with those two and then jump into 4wd. You will learn a lot about tires and set up of your car that you never payed attention to bashing. I was same way since the 80s and only started racing the last couple years. ENJOY!
Old 12-10-2019, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kutless View Post
Thanks, I'm probably more excited about the hobby than I have been in years. I'm also a brand new father so I'm really pumped about getting my son into it in a few years.
nothing no better than watching your kid at 8yrs old driving 1/5th scale and running laps on 20+years racing. Boy did I mess him us when I agreed to buy him Minecraft video game. RC was out the door. Now he is 17 and I want him to pick it up again. But girls picked him up 1st so far....... lol....
Bsthetech likes this.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jayfinnRC View Post
Kutless, good luck, my two cents. 4wd is the easiest to drive for everyone because of the traction and handling so the problem is you feel faster compared to your other cars which is true, but compared to other drivers, 4wd is very competitive, you will have a tough time. If you do it, do 13.5T stock, but you'll need to update the b44. Not the best car, especially durability, and I'm sure parts availability. I had a friend get into the hobby with that and ended up quitting because it was always broken. 4wd do break more even with the new cars. The most fun from a driving and competing stand point as a starter is 2wd buggy 17.5T. You become a better driver for sure. ST isn't as popular but probably the most fun and is picking up in popularity so start with those two and then jump into 4wd. You will learn a lot about tires and set up of your car that you never payed attention to bashing. I was same way since the 80s and only started racing the last couple years. ENJOY!
It's a b44.2 so some of the problem areas were addressed to increase the durability. I haven't broken anything yet. I'll always love the stadium truck but I was really starting to get a taste for the B5m. I'm still getting the hang of the shock tuning. I bought a bunch of different used tire lots on eBay just to get an idea of what's what and learned alot that way. but all the cars are on the shelf for the winter now. I've pretty much changed gears to hunting season until spring.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 10racer View Post
nothing no better than watching your kid at 8yrs old driving 1/5th scale and running laps on 20+years racing. Boy did I mess him us when I agreed to buy him Minecraft video game. RC was out the door. Now he is 17 and I want him to pick it up again. But girls picked him up 1st so far....... lol....
I never tried the big scale stuff, I don't really have the money for it, I'm more of a budget guy. I don't care for video games much myself, I played them a little bit in highschool cause that's what all my buddies were doing but those guys lived on their xbox's so my skills were pretty well below theirs. Me and the misses don't plan on letting the little guy have video games until he's older. It's sad that you almost never see kids play outside anymore cause they're already addicted to video games by the time they're 6 or 7... I'm hoping to keep him pretty busy with sports, RC and archery/hunting.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Great thread. I've been in RC for close to 30 years but am just starting in cars (2wd and 4wd buggy). Got a lot of info from this, thanks!