Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By dc_cc
  • 3 Post By vwdemon34
  • 1 Post By evhexrc

Does anyone race a Traxxas

Old 10-28-2019, 07:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Does anyone race a Traxxas

Anyone race a Traxxas like a Slash or anything else?
Old 10-28-2019, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Yes I have done a lot of racing with a slash . in a stock slash and a 1000 lap race with teams of 5 all had slashes.I even moded a slash with a slice B chassis. for oval dirt..
Old 10-29-2019, 10:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It takes a lot to make a Traxxas raceworthy and competitive...more than it would cost to buy a race kit from a racing brand to race. I tried to make one of my old trucks good to race with for my youngest brother and it was awful. The only class a Traxxas will be good in is the stock Traxxas class lol. In my opinion, Traxxas isn’t even good for recreational use. Go to your track, see what people run, ask for advice, and buy the most popular RC there that people recommend. Example: 1/4 of racers have a Losi, 1/4 of the racers have other brands, and half of the racers drive Tekno cars. You should get the tekno.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

if your local track runs an "open" rookie/Novice class a slash will work (with right tires and shock oil) to be competitive in THAT class (talking off-road). as stated above, once racing any non-slash specific class above that will be difficult and tedious, another race brand will be more effective.

It is my personal opinion that a slash with tires and a lipo (which can be had for about $400 ) would let one know if RC racing was the hobby for then, but to be competitive a racer will need to move on from the gateway drug.

a decade ago, when the Slash/SC10/Losi SCT/Blitz were all out, the box stock SC10 and the Losi SCT22 outperformed the Slash and Blitz with as much money in 'mods' as the cost of the AE or Losi kit. and the AE/Losi were the chassis that won 98% of SCT races. The newer race kits are exponentially better than those were, the slash is unchanged since then.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

My TRX Rustler doesn't race, but does see use as a 'Safety Truck' on my backyard natural turf oval. It runs 10-laps prior to every event to 'certify' the track as race ready and safe. That way it gets some track time without having to suffer through any attempt to make it 'race ready'. It's good in this application. Cheers and Regards. AC

Old 10-31-2019, 05:37 PM
Tech Initiate

My 13 year-old son and I both race modified Slashes in our track’s 17.5 SCT class. He bought his a number of years ago as his first “real” RC truck, and I bought one a year later to bash with him (my dad, my brother and I raced competitively 30 years ago). When we decided to get into racing, we added a Hobbywing Justock brushless motor/ESC combo, LiPo batteries, wheels and tires. From there came better servos, shocks, and a few other things. They were competitive on pavement against the “proper” trucks, the major weakness in our case being our skills. We’re now racing on a tight, indoor carpet track, and it’s a lot less forgiving. But our skills are getting better, and so far, we’re holding our own.

As bashers, the trucks were basically bulletproof. We didn’t abuse them, but we didn’t exactly baby them. Just fantastic for what they are. With some upgrades, they’re been good enough to keep up in our class. I’m convinced that with practice, we’ll do even better.

That said, if we were starting out with the intention to go straight into racing, a purpose-built truck would probably be cheaper to get us to the point we’re at now, and beyond. The Slash has some limitations for tuning, and at some point, that’ll become apparent. But for now, they’re just fine (and it’s kinda neat that they run with the big guys).
dlee58 likes this.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:03 PM
Tech Addict

This is our bomber class. Almost all of the cars a Slashes. Great for dirt oval racing. We also have some Losi and Assoc in the class. But more races are won by the slash
R/C Lidz, AHR43 and lcbashers like this.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

The Losi’s and AE’s probably lose to the Traxxas trucks because the people driving the winning Traxxas trucks are more skilled.
4wdsct likes this.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Slash in the stock slash class, even playing field. It's a basher not a race truck. Slash is heavy compared to the other sct's. Of course everybody has a brand that works best for them. I tried all of them a while back. Kyosho worked best for me.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:59 PM
Tech Rookie

I race in the Stock Slash class. It was really big down in Savannah, Georgia at Phil Hurd Raceway.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:03 PM
Tech Rookie

I DID race my brushed Slash in an open 2wd SCT race in Sumter. I was SERIOUSLY out-classed! I came away with a 3rd place finish, though. (out of 5 or 6 cars)
Old 11-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

I think the stock slash class is one of the best things for RC racing. I don’t think it will turn into what the “stock 17.5” 2wd buggy class did.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:25 PM
Tech Rookie

I can't seem to be able to post any pictures on this forum. So, I created an album with pictures from some of the Slash races we've done down here, in South Carolina. Feel free to check 'em out.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There also have been spec 4tec classes on road here and there. Its really a local thing.
  • If you already have one might as well race it. Chances are keeping off the boards are more a problem than the chassis to start.
  • Don't dump money into it. Lipstick on a pig.
  • If you have a local spec traxxas class go nuts. (Though be aware you may outgrow wanting to race that class quickly, they are often geared towards new racers)