Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By 1/8 IC Fan
  • 1 Post By evhexrc
  • 6 Post By Zerodefect
  • 1 Post By evhexrc

How common is theft in the pits?

Old 10-28-2019, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default How common is theft in the pits?

I'm desperately trying to get back into racing, I have a nice outdoor 1/8 scale offroad track in my town and a nice indoor carpet offroad 1/10 scale track about 50 miles away. I plan to go to both soon as I slowly build up my gear, but one thing that is always at the back of my mind, is theft. How prevalent is theft in the pits while you're racing or corner marshalling? I know it happens but I don't see it being talked about very much.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Have never seen it happen in years of racing. How ever I have seen radios picked up by accident by someone with the same radio. Best to make your Radio stick out a little so it doesn't happen to you.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Depends on where you are at i think. Ive had a setup station and some servos grow legs.
Shnoo likes this.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For regular club racing, I've never heard or seen it happen. At big yearly races like the Dirt Nitro Challenge, I've heard about it happening but think it is still pretty rare.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It depends where you are, I’d imagine. If there was a track in downtown Philadelphia or Baltimore, everything would probably be stolen. I tend to race at tracks in the rural southeast. The only thing close to stealing I’ve ever seen was just someone using someone else’s simple green spray while they were out racing. Not a big deal, but I would’ve been happy to let the person use some of mine had they asked. I don’t think stealing is common in RC racing. It’s a tight community where everyone wants to help each other.
eR1c likes this.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

I can leave all of my gear, cars, everything out on my pit overnight for fri/sat/sun big event indoor races. Nobody touches it.

Won't race anywhere that I have to worry about such.

I've had gear and chargers disappear while on lunch a few times. But that's because people thought I left, thought I forget my stuff, or noticed some shady people arrive at the track. It was all returned, they were just protecting my stuff. Ya'll should look out for each other.
racer1812, eR1c, gigaplex and 3 others like this.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

And he lives in Columbus, Ohio!^^^ The RC community ain't terrible... even there
Old 10-29-2019, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

In the pits seldom. at the track Ive heard of it a few times in the last 10+ years .. Herd a guys entire rc gear bag walk outa Larrys rc . heard a guy walk behind the counter an take a lipo from a shop on a sat..
Old 10-29-2019, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FloridaST View Post
I'm desperately trying to get back into racing, I have a nice outdoor 1/8 scale offroad track in my town and a nice indoor carpet offroad 1/10 scale track about 50 miles away. I plan to go to both soon as I slowly build up my gear, but one thing that is always at the back of my mind, is theft. How prevalent is theft in the pits while you're racing or corner marshalling? I know it happens but I don't see it being talked about very much.
Never encountered a property security issue during my active racing days. That said, it may be a valid issue for discussion vis-a-vis open pit areas. Pretty much anybody and everybody has pit access. Perhaps RD should look at limiting access? But at what level should this begin? Local? Regional? National? Dunno, but suspect Nats are already pretty tight. Leaving locals and regionals as a candidate for increased security? But then innocent parties only curious about RC racing are denied access. Not good for the hobby. How to filter the nefarious and allow the curious becomes the issue.

Short answer is to have a pit crew/pit buddy at your pop-up or table when you race. Not usually doable. Mostly, racers are too busy at an event to pilfer. It is the walk-about that becomes a concern.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
In the pits seldom. at the track Ive heard of it a few times in the last 10+ years .. Herd a guys entire rc gear bag walk outa Larrys rc . heard a guy walk behind the counter an take a lipo from a shop on a sat..
...'Cause you live in Dertoit.
4wdsct likes this.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am from eastern NC and folks here just like to take *** woopings or get shot. I use to race with a guy but did not know it until someone told me to watch my gear around this cat that I was missing parts out of my parts bag when I raced 5th scale and we all know no matter what scale you drive parts are not cheap. This guys also worked at one of our local up and coming hobby shops that come to find out he was robbing him blind, also at the east coast nationals 2011or 2012 not sure but over night two LOSI 5s T got missing during the night while most were sleeping in their campers or tents and this guy was gone in the morning when it was noticed missing. So yes their is theft and he may even be someone you call a friend. After that race he fell off the map, Thank God!!!!! But 98% of my time at big 5th scale events and local he was the only cat I knew was stealing. But most of us are brothers and we know how much this hobby cost and it doesn’t take long to Wein out the bad.