How to get involved with racing >

How to get involved with racing

Like Tree5Likes

How to get involved with racing

Old 09-27-2019, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default How to get involved with racing

how is the process ? Iím 40 years old and looking to start with something more competitive Iíve never done this before it seem overwhelming plus Iíd hate to make a fool of myself !
Old 09-27-2019, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

what type of racing? get information on local tracks . what rules they follow if any .decide what you want to race . then take the leap and buy what you need.....do your research b4 you leap....
rrb1399 likes this.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rrb1399 View Post
how is the process ? Iím 40 years old and looking to start with something more competitive Iíve never done this before it seem overwhelming plus Iíd hate to make a fool of myself !
Whatís is available in your area? Any tracks or clubs in area.

I was 47 before I tried racing. Iím not any good, but it was fun. Just small local group. The bigger events have zero interest to me.
rrb1399 likes this.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post

Whatís is available in your area? Any tracks or clubs in area.

I was 47 before I tried racing. Iím not any good, but it was fun. Just small local group. The bigger events have zero interest to me.
same here there are some tracks and a few clubs I should just take a ride down on a day there running and talk to a few guys is there club fees usually I just want to compete even if I suck itís more for the fun
Old 09-27-2019, 04:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

same here there are some tracks and a few clubs I should just take a ride down on a day there running and talk to a few guys is there club fees usually I just want to compete even if I suck itís more for the fun
Going is the only real way to figure out what class, or classes, is right for you. We can toss out class suggestions, but itís your time and money.

Iíve only raced on road and miniZ. Iím mixed on off road , carpet or dirt or whatever surface. Iíd like to try it but there something I noticed watching it I donít really like.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, good points above 👆

I went on Facebook, and looked for local groups. I reached out to them and figured out what they ran for classes. Do not think you have to have the best brand and everything to start. This is actually the best time of the year to get into 1/10 scale, indoors is fun!

I originally picked up an 2wd 1/10 buggy and SCT. I did a lot of research through you tube videos and found that beginners starting in 2wd classes gives you the overall mastering of control. The control of throttle in, through the corner and coming out of an corner. Throttle management is everything.

I run outdoor and indoor off-road racing. I run both 1/10 scale and 1/8 scale, electric (buggy, truggy, SCT) I personally think you should start in electric, not nitro. I come from an Motocross background, and electric is easiest.

There is a lot of brands to pick from. Once I found a brand I was going with, I picked up an used through eBay. (This site has great used ones too) I tore them down and built it back up. There are also RTRs (ready to run).

You should always support your local hobby shop. Hobby shops are a hit and miss on them knowing racing at the same time.

DO NOT PURCHASE TRAXXAS FOR RACING, just saying.

Some off-road racing brands to look at;

​​​​​Mugen-Seiki
Xray
Losi
TLR
Team Associated
Agama
HPI/Hot Bodies
Tekno
Kyosho
Sworkz
Hobao
Soar TRS
Schumacher

These are my recommendations for off-road racing brands, not necessarily in order.

Again, do not think you need the latest and greatest on the newest of the brands.

A couple people I have found beneficial to follow on YouTube are;
Mark Santa Maria
Ryan Stiles Harris
Adam Drake
A-main hobbies
ShortCourse World
RC network

​​​​​I can go on and on and on........ Find out what is local. Then come back on and ask more questions.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Tech Initiate

If there is different kinds of racing in your area go to them all and see what interests you the most. You are going to struggle at first and get your butt handed by kids throughout so just get use to the idea. In your 40s you basically have zero chance to be the world champ, but doesn't mean you can't be competitive and have fun. Trust me, I'm 46 with basically a years experience spread over a decade. Any given week there is a girl not even 4ft tall that beats up on me ( she would be smoking all of the old guys regularly if she put the work in)

If the local track has a shop I'd run what brands they stock. You are going to break, besides everything you purchase there helps keep the lights on. You ate going to start off in novice, dont be afraid to buy a used kit to get beat on (back to reason why to buy what the shop stocks.

just remember we all started out once. Racing in a confined space is totally different than driving in no particular direction. At the end of the day it's about having fun, especially for us old timers.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kswarrior View Post
In your 40s you basically have zero chance to be the world champ
Not the first time I've heard that said, I've always been curious as to the reasons why someone in their 40's, 50's, 60's couldn't be? Especially if they've been doing it forever?

Old 10-01-2019, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Scroll down about 1/3 the way, your answer lies here. Cliffs notes, we're slow.

As for the original question, grab what appeals to you most and just get out and burn some laps. Dont sit back and practice non-stop without racing; nothing gets you prepared for racing, like racing. When you're competing against people faster than you, you'll get better exponentially faster than if you sat that and burned through packs. I've been in the hobby about 30 years now and remember my first race night vividly. I finished, but I was so nervous and I probably wouldn't have entered if my buddy hadn't done so. We actually finished 1st and 2nd in the novice class that evening (I came in first loser). Was a good thing I didnt have a good servo at the time because my stadium truck would have been twitching all over the place from my shaky hands (now they shake but not because I'm nervous LOL).
Old 10-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
Scroll down about 1/3 the way, your answer lies here. Cliffs notes, we're slow.
Yeah kind figured that, was just wondering if experience ever compensated or offset it any. Then again, I've seen plenty of old-timers in the Quake scene that dominate younger players, so maybe there's hope, lol.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by johnnydmd View Post
Yeah kind figured that, was just wondering if experience ever compensated or offset it any. Then again, I've seen plenty of old-timers in the Quake scene that dominate younger players, so maybe there's hope, lol.
Experience can compensate some, but our reaction times and hand eye coordination isnt as good. I'm not saying you have zero chance to be fast. There is a guy at our track that started racing in the 80's. Yeah he is fast as all get out week in and week out, but the fastest on our tracks are kids in their late teens that have been racing since grade school.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

I keep thinking in writing a basic illustrated guide about How to get started at racing RC cars, and ask help from the people at the track to complete it, something like the Curtis Creek Manifesto for fly fishing - super simple and it teaches the very minimum to how to get started in a way that you can make your first purchase. People are most likely going to buy entry level things to try out and see if they like it, and there's an overwhelming amount of options and components. There's nothing out there that guides you from start to finish when you know nothing about the hobby - that I could find at least.

I'm not an expert by any means, but something like that might help people go from "that looks cool, maybe will try it some day when I get time" to "let's do this", and by that get more people involved.
I struggled a lot to get started as no one in my circle of friends does it...
Old 10-04-2019, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Step 1: Go to local track see what is popular there. Talk to the people about what you should buy.
Step 2: spend money on said stuff, in this hobby you get what you pay for if you go super cheap you might want to rethink it because 2 races in you might need a new one.
Step 3: go to a practice day put your car on the track and drive.
Step 4: after you feel comfortable hit a local race see how you like it. Get spare parts cause breaking out on race day stinks
Step 5: enjoy the hobby that sucks your wallet dry faster than your wife.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

I canít really add much to what has already been said, but what I CAN add is that if your local track has a Masterís class, you might be best off racing there after you go through novice class - itís exclusively 40+, so you wonít have those little whipper-snappers cleaning the floor with you anymore.

But Yes, start in novice class. More often than not, the folks in Masterís have been racing a long time. At least novice class will be forgiving as you learn the ropes with everyone else in there, and when you feel comfortable enough to run the other class. Oh, and most of all, donít be afraid to seek out other folks running your same make of car. I think youíll find that most everyone will be helpful to new folks - it keeps the hobby going when new folks are made welcome.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JDMR View Post
Step 1: Go to local track see what is popular there. Talk to the people about what you should buy.
Originally Posted by JDMR View Post

Step 2: spend money on said stuff, in this hobby you get what you pay for if you go super cheap you might want to rethink it because 2 races in you might need a new one.

Step 3: go to a practice day put your car on the track and drive.

Step 4: after you feel comfortable hit a local race see how you like it. Get spare parts cause breaking out on race day stinks

Step 5: enjoy the hobby that sucks your wallet dry faster than your wife.

This^^. Make friends, don't be shy. It's ok to ask for help... I do. I don't like needing help, sometimes, but that's part of racing. Let those who helped you that you're thankful and that they can always ask you for help if they need it. You may likely not have what they need, since you're fresh into racing, but if you have a zip-tie and they don't, give them one. Put effort into turn marshaling. No, it's not your fault the driver decided to #sendit too hard, but the driver will think of you as "The real MVP" when you ran to his car instead of walk. That being said, don't run to get a car if it's not safe to do so, yet. Marshaling is a sport of it's own... be careful out there. We've had to drive racers to the ER a few times because they got hit while they weren't paying attention. Grab yourself a pair of mechanic's gloves if you don't already own a few pairs... The cars that go "BRAAAAAAP" will burn you! Only race one race class. I have trouble with this, but whatever... I love racing the multiple classes. Each is different. Why race only one? It's cheaper. You'll be buying tires, parts, and everything else for one car instead of multiple. 1 racecar=$. 2 racecars=$$. Start in the Novice/Kid's class. Use it to learn from your mistakes. Don't drive like the other novice drivers- drive like the guys in the Pro classes. Thank the people who own/run the racetrack for owning and running it. It's hard work. If they ask you to help, do it. I have sprinted across a muddy track while it was pouring rain to grab a huge field speaker that wasn't going to make it if left out. When the riding mower being used to roll out the track loses a wheel, get it and help move the 'ol Deere off the track lol. If you smoke or vape, respect your fellow racers and at least blow the smoke away from everyone. Some people have breathing problems like asthma, or just don't want to be around it. Lastly, enjoy racing. PM me if you want more advice!

Last edited by evhexrc; 10-17-2019 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Darn autocorrect...smh

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service