• 3 Post By Funkydrummer1
  • 1 Post By JDMR
  • 1 Post By TurnNBurn
  • 1 Post By Funkydrummer1

RCGP!!!

Old 09-09-2019, 04:26 PM
Tech Adept

Default RCGP!!!

So rcgp definitely has had it share of controversy. For those of you who dont know what it is, its basically a new race series concentrated on racing, promoting and coverage of a more professional side of rc racing. Theyre intentions are to promote from the outside in hopes of non rc manufacturers sponsorships. They have a bigger pie bigger pieces for everyone type of vibe. One major downfall is that the "face" of this series is Joseph Quagraine. That dudes middle name is controversy. I personally love the guy. I dont agree with a lot of his opinions but the dude is smart and if people can just take a minute and really look at what he did and does,you would see he really has good intentions for the future of rc. The fact is, some guys dont like him so they just dont give a shit. EVERYONE in pro rc says rc needs a change. Well, here it is. A chance for the worlds best to race monthly instead of yearly. Or every 2 years. There are pros and cons to every new idea. This series is no exception. I really think if the manufacturers get their heads out of their asses, and the team drivers get together, maybe even form some sort of union, I think the rcgp is the future. People say its going to effect the big ifmar and roar races. Well, maybe. Ifmar and roar are nonprofit. We NEED PROFIT organizations. We cant depend on volunteer help to really care as much as the professional racer that needs that check .We need outside money. Whos gonna watch 3 days of ifmar style qualifying??
billdelong, JCG1 and Bgbb like this.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah, I personally believe RCGP is a wonderful concept, just what we need for RC Racing enthusiasts!
https://www.rc-gp.com

Mr JQ will just have to learn to play well with others. Iīd be very disappointed if RCGP were to fail or not meet its potential over the eccentricities of JQ and the resentment from folks who feel wronged by him.
It is my true hope they could behave like responsible adults and realize there is a tremendous opportunity to do something unique for RC. Wish them all the success they deserve.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

I agree just cuz JQ is involved doesnt mean its not a good concept, Each race has kept me on the edge especially the qualifying rounds. IFMAR is a bore for qualifying and I barely ever watch it until mains day. The main event for RCGP Ongaro still is managing to stretch out but maybe with more support from top drivers the racing could be closer on a 1hr main event. But it looks super professional and I have personally loved the coverage of the event and the racing has been great too. Hopefully it keeps rockin and growing!
JCG1 likes this.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 AM
Tech Addict

I also think they need to be a little more welcoming of the brands that arenít franchise level - for example, the teams that arenít running franchise brands typically just get stamped with the RCGP logo - Ongaroís Scampi Rosso team is a prime example. Itís like they donít want anyone to know that heís running the Associated chassis because AE didnít buy a franchise. The fact that Davide is walking away with the first title using an ďunknown brandĒ to the masses isnít helping.

Look, I get it - you want to give the brands that bought in Day One exposure, but if the brands on the outside start getting attention because of whatís going on in the series, donít you think theyíd see value in joining in as well? In order for the Day One teams to benefit, the series HAS to grow, and such treatment is not exactly welcoming.

And finally, I think that at some point, JQ is going to need to decide which hat he wants to wear - whether itís Head honcho, franchise owner, or driver. There is a blatant conflict of interest there - Not to take anything away from him and what heís managed to put together, but I think he can effectively lead the series, give another of his up and coming drivers a shot, and hand the JQRacimg RCGP Team keys to run the show while he manages the administrative side of the series. It may not be coming to a head now, but itís a ticking time bomb. It kind of reminds me of a race organizer I knew years ago who wanted to run the race, but race at the same time - it led to a whole bunch of anger and resentment when things didnít go his way, or he didnít have enough time to work on his car to get ready for his own heats - yet he was too stubborn to ask someone to run the race for him on days he wanted to run. It kind of ruined the awesome racing community we had built, not to mention the fact that it turned a lot of onlookers away to see some embarrassing displays of anger from time to time.
JCG1 likes this.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
I also think they need to be a little more welcoming of the brands that arenít franchise level - for example, the teams that arenít running franchise brands typically just get stamped with the RCGP logo - Ongaroís Scampi Rosso team is a prime example. Itís like they donít want anyone to know that heís running the Associated chassis because AE didnít buy a franchise. The fact that Davide is walking away with the first title using an ďunknown brandĒ to the masses isnít helping.

Look, I get it - you want to give the brands that bought in Day One exposure, but if the brands on the outside start getting attention because of whatís going on in the series, donít you think theyíd see value in joining in as well? In order for the Day One teams to benefit, the series HAS to grow, and such treatment is not exactly welcoming.

And finally, I think that at some point, JQ is going to need to decide which hat he wants to wear - whether itís Head honcho, franchise owner, or driver. There is a blatant conflict of interest there - Not to take anything away from him and what heís managed to put together, but I think he can effectively lead the series, give another of his up and coming drivers a shot, and hand the JQRacimg RCGP Team keys to run the show while he manages the administrative side of the series. It may not be coming to a head now, but itís a ticking time bomb. It kind of reminds me of a race organizer I knew years ago who wanted to run the race, but race at the same time - it led to a whole bunch of anger and resentment when things didnít go his way, or he didnít have enough time to work on his car to get ready for his own heats - yet he was too stubborn to ask someone to run the race for him on days he wanted to run. It kind of ruined the awesome racing community we had built, not to mention the fact that it turned a lot of onlookers away to see some embarrassing displays of anger from time to time.
very good points. I think jq has to wear a lot of hats because he doesnt have a choice. I think he would gladly hand off some responsibilities to others if he had qualified people available.
the one thing that pisses me off is Ive heard a pro driver say, I wont name names.. when asked about what he thinks of rcgp " well I have 0 respect for jq, so" .....
what a stupid thing to say. And I think a lot of other racers feel that way. Youve got to look past jq and his antics. The pro rc guys bitch about long races and not enough outside exposure, yet theyre not willing to change their schedule. Its the manufacturers racing contracts as well.
Ryan Lutz and Nemo are joining and thats going to give it a boost.
the first year of rcgp and it was good!! Hopefully next year more teams sign in and we can start watching the pros race more often. Thats what we all want in the long run.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

for the brand thing I totally get it. others paid a sum of lets just say 1500 dollars to have their brand displayed. now Associated didnt pay their 1500 so they cant advertise the brand thats not RCGPs fault. Thats associateds fault for not wanting to pay a small amount to support the series and have their brand advertised. If associated didnt see fit to advertise then so be it. As far as JQ wearing too many hats yes he should decide whether he wants to race or lead this thing. But like the other guy said im sure there are few qualified people to head up the races and from a first year stand point im sure funding isnt flowing from the rivers either but they are making it happen. Id say year 2 will be better more brands might jump on, and they advertised I believe a 1:1 event they will be aside next year. Once the brands jump on board im sure things will smooth out. But you cant blame the series for providing what they promised to the customers who did pay their way to have the brand displayed.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:43 AM
Tech Addict

Point taken - but as a ďprivateer groupĒ who has no direct factory affiliation (other than the fact that their #1 driver is directly sponsored by Associated), I would think that as a team they deserve the right to say, ďHey, we proudly run thisĒ. Davideís brands still appear on the team gear, so whatís the difference? Pretend they donít exist, only to hand the championship to some ghost brands?

Anyway, as you pointed out, itís their series, they have the right to manage it as best they see toward protecting the franchisees... Itís just that (for example) as solely an engine supplier, you donít see Hondaís logos being hidden from view because they donít have a Factory works team in F1 and only supply engines to two customer teams that paid the franchise fee to participate in the series.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Addict

BTW, any word on the ďTBDĒ US location? I say they should get ďMr. DirtĒ himself to throw together a track for them - that will be a challenging layout for sure.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

BTW, any word on the “TBD” US location? I say they should get “Mr. Dirt” himself to throw together a track for them - that will be a challenging layout for sure.
Its at Thornhill I believe is what they said on a podcast I could be wrong.

Last edited by JDMR; 09-11-2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: .
Old 09-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1 View Post
very good points. I think jq has to wear a lot of hats because he doesnt have a choice. I think he would gladly hand off some responsibilities to others if he had qualified people available.
the one thing that pisses me off is Ive heard a pro driver say, I wont name names.. when asked about what he thinks of rcgp " well I have 0 respect for jq, so" .....
what a stupid thing to say. And I think a lot of other racers feel that way. Youve got to look past jq and his antics. The pro rc guys bitch about long races and not enough outside exposure, yet theyre not willing to change their schedule. Its the manufacturers racing contracts as well.
Ryan Lutz and Nemo are joining and thats going to give it a boost.
the first year of rcgp and it was good!! Hopefully next year more teams sign in and we can start watching the pros race more often. Thats what we all want in the long run.
Yep, there is no question JQ needs to build a core management group for RGCP and learn to delegate. He does it wit Keenan White and it works marvels.
And yes, I also heard that comment from the pro driver who had no respect for JQ and therefore would not run RCGP. While undoubtedly short-sighted, we must all recognize folks tend to do business and support people they like. If JQ relishes being the bad boy of RC and pisses people off for the sake of it, he will face greater hurdles and challenges that otherwise would not be there.
I do hope he can recognize RCGP will be better served if he's not the be all end all.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Point taken - but as a “privateer group” who has no direct factory affiliation (other than the fact that their #1 driver is directly sponsored by Associated), I would think that as a team they deserve the right to say, “Hey, we proudly run this”. Davide’s brands still appear on the team gear, so what’s the difference? Pretend they don’t exist, only to hand the championship to some ghost brands?

Anyway, as you pointed out, it’s their series, they have the right to manage it as best they see toward protecting the franchisees... It’s just that (for example) as solely an engine supplier, you don’t see Honda’s logos being hidden from view because they don’t have a Factory works team in F1 and only supply engines to two customer teams that paid the franchise fee to participate in the series.
I agree its kinda silly to not let them run a sticker. but at this point they are obligated to the people who did pay and to not require other teams then not only does it look bad but im sure there were contracts signed and if they dont they (JQ) would get sued. F1 is a different multi-million dollar franchise situation im sure there are guidelines and buy in regulations as well. Im sure no one gets to fly a banner for free at one of those. But then again Idk much about F1 they might not care about sponsor stickers on your car, idk.

Last edited by JDMR; 09-10-2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: added more
Old 09-10-2019, 04:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JCG1 View Post
Yep, there is no question JQ needs to build a core management group for RGCP and learn to delegate. He does it wit Keenan White and it works marvels.
And yes, I also heard that comment from the pro driver who had no respect for JQ and therefore would not run RCGP. While undoubtedly short-sighted, we must all recognize folks tend to do business and support people they like. If JQ relishes being the bad boy of RC and pisses people off for the sake of it, he will face greater hurdles and challenges that otherwise would not be there.
I do hope he can recognize RCGP will be better served if he's not the be all end all.
people that do business with groups that they like I feel is convenient but not necessary. Its bad business. People that dont get in to rcgp soon will get left in the dust I feel. But on the same hand, I can just see all those pros talking shi# behind jqs back. Some talk shi# about him out in the open!!!
narrow minded companies and racers. I understand that contracts dictate what and where so ultimately its the manufacturers hands. I feel that jq wont relinquish his bad boy attitude because he thinks controversy sells. He expects manufacturers to jump on board this whole "more professional" thing at the same time his comments and opinions are far from professional. Sometimes you just have to keep your comments and opinions to yourself.
JCG1 likes this.