Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Adult racers yelling at the marshals... >

Adult racers yelling at the marshals...

Like Tree22Likes

Adult racers yelling at the marshals...

Old 08-05-2019, 10:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Cool Adult racers yelling at the marshals...

This past weekend my two boys were racing the local club race so I volunteered to help marshal a few races. During one of the races, a buggy crashed on the backside of a double that was across the racing lane from me. As I started over to flip the buggy, I saw four or five cars lining up to jump the double so I waited (I know, an agonizing 5-seconds) before I crossed the racing line to flip the car. But before I got to the buggy, I hear a guy yelling at me from the drivers stand. So I pick up the car and hold it for a few seconds while looking up at the drivers stand before I place the car back on the track. After the race, my boys, who were also in that race and on the drivers stand, told me the guy was telling me the f off.

We plan on going back again this weekend to race.

How would you handle this? I can tell you how I want to handle it...
Old 08-05-2019, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

racers or drivers should only race
the screamer should have been told to packup and leave..
no one should yell at the marshals ever.
you failed as a marshal.own it
Old 08-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Tech Initiate

"you failed as a marshal.own "

Explain that plz
Old 08-05-2019, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Usually when I am an at event or club race I will flat out tell everyone that they yell at me or anything I will absolutely ignore their car and they can come down the stand and flip it themselves. Now I do give 110% when marshaling, and wish other would do the same for when I am driving. Yet I have seen marshals on their phones or watching the race rather than paying attention to the area they are marshaling.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

bmx . you admitted you waited on marshalling the car. then you admit to pausing again to look at drivers stand so you failed.now admit you failed(thats called owning it) dont forget the it next quote. See when I marshal I do it as fast as I can. jumped over many of racers ..but I do wear steel toe and sided boots and a Kevlar set of vented pants in the summer
OG RC Hobby likes this.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:35 PM
Tech Initiate

the rc...so by your logic, I should have jumped in front of the 4 or 5 cars that were in the race and did not crash just to marshal the car did crash? And by jumping into the racing line on the back side of the double, I would have most likely caused those 4 or 5 cars to crash into me as I was marshaling. Yea...that makes perfect sense. The reason why I paused after I picked up the crashed car was because the guy was throwing a hissy fit.
BTW...your steel toe'd boots will do nothing to protect your head while you are bending over to grab the car and that was exactly the situation.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:41 PM
Tech Initiate

"jumped over many of racers"

You must be quite the high jumper to jump over cars that are jumping a double.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Bri
Tech Regular

Nothing wrong with waiting until a pack of cars clear before marshalling the car but the extra pause after getting to the car cost the driver even more time and feel that was unnecessary. Two wrongs don't make a right.

In some cases, the marshalls need to be yelled at if they aren't paying attention and let a car sit on the track that needs to be marshalled.
OG RC Hobby likes this.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If the marshalls don't notice a car that's crashed or gone off the track they need to be yelled at to let them know, especially during a loud nitro race.
OG RC Hobby likes this.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Yelling is not necessary, especially if you are going to cuss!

Most of the time other marshalls will also get anothers attention! And on top of that if they crashed due to faulty driving, chances are if a marshall waits until its safe to place the car back on track, thats ok! Race clean, own your mistakes, its a hobby afterall! Its common sense, play it safe , dont be a jerk on the stand or marshalling.

I am not sure how it works at other tracks but at ours, unsportsmanship like conduct to include swearing, gets you a month ban, and if it happens two times, you are no longer allowed to race at our track. Our race director also guides marshalls if a car or buggy has flipped by calling out corners in which cars have gone off track. If us old timers can race without losing our crap... why cant anyone else?
Cain and bmxracer39x like this.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Tech Initiate

"In some cases, the marshalls need to be yelled at if they aren't paying attention and let a car sit on the track that needs to be marshalled."

I agree...a "yo" or the announcer calling out if a car needs to be marshaled is completely acceptable.

In my situation, I started running towards his car and stopped before crossing the track when I saw the cars about to jump the double right in front of me and that's when the feller starting yelling. And then telling me to f off in while on the stand and in front of my kids is pretty low class imho.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm not talking about swearing or getting angry. I'm talking about, "hey! there's a car off track by the back left corner!" because there are often times when no one notices at all.
bmxracer39x likes this.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:14 PM
Tech Regular

Well, the level-headed adult in me thinks you should take up the matter with the race director. In most cases a stern warning during the driver's meeting should stop poor behavior. I 'yell' to get the marshal's attention if I do need some help. But I try not to abuse the guys too much. But I've heard it many times: If you don't like the marshaling don't pull in for the service.

Now, the redneck former Marine in me says the guy cussing you out from the safety of the driver's stand but not taking up the issue with you after the race means he's a little twat-waddle. I wouldn't be hesitant to approach him and tell him that the next bit of cussing he does within earshot of my kids will get him my foot lodged sideways in the crack of his ass. Of course after that, the whole notion of having fun at the track is blown up, so try the adult approach first. JMHO
bmxracer39x likes this.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
bmx . you admitted you waited on marshalling the car. then you admit to pausing again to look at drivers stand so you failed.now admit you failed(thats called owning it) dont forget the it next quote. See when I marshal I do it as fast as I can. jumped over many of racers ..but I do wear steel toe and sided boots and a Kevlar set of vented pants in the summer
Priority number one when marshalling is your own safety. Waiting for other cars before running onto the track is expected.
Priority number two is to not interfere with cars running on the track. That means when you return a car to the track, you don't put it right in front of another car that's approaching.

Both of these pauses are perfectly acceptable.

They also said they paused to look at the drivers stand while someone is yelling at them. It's not clear from the way it's written, but occasionally people on the stand yell things like "the cars broken, leave it off" so checking to see what they're yelling is normal. If it was obvious that it was abusive yelling from the get go, as a race director I'd encourage the marshals to penalise poor behaviour by delaying the cars return to the track.

There was no failure of marshalling duties here.
Cain, bd581, sinisterRC and 6 others like this.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

Once spent a week off work and hundreds of dollars at a chiropractor after hurting my back rushing to a crashed car and ducking out of the way from a flying out of control car (I wasn't even on the track!)
So, now, I don't care what anyone says or how much they yell, I'll get to your car when it's safe to do so.
jiml, bmxracer39x, DirkW and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service