Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
1/10 Speedrun Chassis? >

1/10 Speedrun Chassis?

1/10 Speedrun Chassis?

Old 07-23-2019, 02:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/10 Speedrun Chassis?

Hello everyone. I am thinking about building a 1/10 speedrun car that will not break the bank. I am wondering which chassis is recommended that is less than $200 for such a project? I am willing to go belt or shaft driven. I was looking at a Sakura but a Serpent or an old AE looks like an option too.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by batholith View Post
Hello everyone. I am thinking about building a 1/10 speedrun car that will not break the bank. I am wondering which chassis is recommended that is less than $200 for such a project? I am willing to go belt or shaft driven. I was looking at a Sakura but a Serpent or an old AE looks like an option too.
I would recommend something offroad based if you are just running on an unprepared surface, as you will need more than just the few millimeters of ground clearance. Even a 2wd buggy lowered to a 1/2 inch of ground clearance and placed under a Late Model lexan body would be more stable under power than a complicated 4wd touring car meant for racing. That offroad base would also let you run larger tires, larger diameter motors such as those meant for 1/8 or Short Course Truck racing, and I would think the whole process would be easier.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How many batts & what kind of speed are you trying to achieve? Just wondering. I was thinking of doing the same thing. I was thinking of using my TC4 but it's gone now. So I have to start at ground zero.I am currently planing a pan car chassis that is capable of carrying 4, 6, or even 8s.It's all in the planning nothing solid yet.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:51 AM
Tech Initiate

I found a deal on a AE TC7.1 so that will be my base. Looks like with the right gearing it is more than possible to make it work out on 3s. Got a monster max x and a super high kg motor. We shall see...
Old 07-28-2019, 03:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Making the power is easy. After 90-100mph it becomes really difficult to keep the car on the ground. I have turned my old associated tc4 into my fun speed run car but I gave up after I hit close to 100mph. The car keep literally flying away.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

There are some guys on Tamiyaclub who have managed some insane speeds (100mph +) with the TT02. The modifications are more aero and fitting big motors and more cells, things like sloppy steering don't seem to slow them down.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Yes there are many out there that are doing it. I think the major key is a body that has lots of down force. gotta turn the steering sensitivity way downs and make sure it goes straight as an arrow. Find a section of road with perfect conditions and no traffic. Gotta build it first. I just built a Tamiya XV01 rally car and its on a 7.5T and it rips. So I know something with a little more umph and will just fly- just gotta keep it on the ground. I wonder what I will break first????
Old 07-29-2019, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

4tec 2.0 is a great cheap speed car.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by batholith View Post
Yes there are many out there that are doing it. I think the major key is a body that has lots of down force. gotta turn the steering sensitivity way downs and make sure it goes straight as an arrow. Find a section of road with perfect conditions and no traffic. Gotta build it first. I just built a Tamiya XV01 rally car and its on a 7.5T and it rips. So I know something with a little more umph and will just fly- just gotta keep it on the ground. I wonder what I will break first????
The bank!