Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
How many times will you pull over? >

How many times will you pull over?

Like Tree7Likes

How many times will you pull over?

Old 07-17-2019, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

Default How many times will you pull over?

The clubs I race at locally have a couple of guys who are very quick but cant make 2 laps without crashing.
In a heat with these guys its a pain in the neck. I pull over to let them go, only to pass them three corners later because they’re on their roof. Then they catch me, and I let them pass again. This can go on for the whole race. This slows me down as well as them.

So the question is, race etiquette aside, would you constantly pull over for people who ultimately slow you down, pull over once in a 5 min qualifier, or say to yourself “I’ll pull over x many times and then they’ll have to stay behind me”?
Old 07-17-2019, 12:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For my first summer of racing, I would always let the fast guys though. Second summer they said “ race your race, we will get around you”.

For qualifying rounds I used that. For final I would if I saw a good racing going. Ours was a small group. It was easy to see when 2-3 would be running a tight battle.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

you always move no matter who be passing you...!!
Giant655 likes this.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

You wanta play bumper tag with a guy who is 5 laps down and can't find the apex of any corner going into a corner with you at near topspeed after a 30 foot straight when u be going into a 180 switch back ..ok...

Last edited by the rc guy; 07-22-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That's a tricky one. I'd probably stop pulling over due to frustration, but if they crash into you that will cost more than just pulling over.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:52 PM
Bri
Tech Regular

I don't think you need to pull over. Just take a little wider line and let them pass you on the inside.
BugleBoy10 likes this.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

That’s a great subject.

of course you learn to let the fast guys by. But where do you let them by? If you are slower but fairly fast should you throw your position away when someone fast gets anywhere near you? If you have the inside line on a tight corner and everyone else is trying to go through the same corner at the same time I think the safe thing is to continue your line and move to the side when its safe like say corner exit or straights.

if you can move ahead of time without giving a bunch of position then move... but passing is supposed to be safe and your car should be on the edge of your skill and setup.

I think people will inadvertently find themselves in a hairy corner with someone on their tail and that pulling out of the way is going to be expensive or unsafe and should wait,

And then you have the guys who think that everyone should move instantly and then plow into you and wreck everyone out. Its not always possible to move and if you lose your cool even when everyone around you is giving you realistic opportunities to get by them dont get mad when it doesnt happen every time. Especially if you continuously hit cars that are attempting to give you room.

ive seen guys who are really fast lose the respect of everyone below them and people just stop caring about letting them through. Especially mid-level racers. Its not right on either side but it is human.
uDi_MP7.5 likes this.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Are you already a lap down from these guys? If not, don't pull over even once... you're racing them! If you are a lap down, my policy has always been to let them by once, but if they crash then the next pass if their problem.

Also, I don't really "pull over". I learned that moving out of the line and slowing on the straight to let someone by is a great way to get smacked in the back and break your car. As Bri said above, just take the wider line around a turn. It costs you less than a second and keeps you out of the way.

Also, are these guys who crash 5+ times per race getting on the podium? Where I race, anybody who flips that often is in the second half of the pack guaranteed.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

If you are obviously off pace, pull aside no matter what, also even if a guy that is not as consistent pulls up from behind. I will allow him to pass too! My thoughts are even on an off day, I want to finish, and not with a banged up car!
Old 07-18-2019, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Track (racing) etiquette says get outa the way of the faster guy or guy that thinks he is faster if only for 20 feet of track..move rt .left slow line whatever just do it
Old 07-18-2019, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BugleBoy10 View Post
Are you already a lap down from these guys? If not, don't pull over even once... you're racing them! If you are a lap down, my policy has always been to let them by once, but if they crash then the next pass if their problem.

Also, I don't really "pull over". I learned that moving out of the line and slowing on the straight to let someone by is a great way to get smacked in the back and break your car. As Bri said above, just take the wider line around a turn. It costs you less than a second and keeps you out of the way.

Also, are these guys who crash 5+ times per race getting on the podium? Where I race, anybody who flips that often is in the second half of the pack guaranteed.
In qualifying, if a car behind you catches up to you, you're already "getting lapped" even if it's the first lap.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:45 PM
Tech Regular

NASA
25.4.1 Passing General

The responsibility for the decision to pass another car, and to do it safely, rests with the overtaking driver. The overtaken driver should be aware that he/she is being passed and must not impede the pass by blocking. A driver who does not watch his/her mirrors or who appears to be blocking another car seeking a pass may be black-flagged and/or penalized. The act of passing is initiated when the trailing car’s (Car A) front bumper overlaps with the lead car’s (Car B) rear bumper. The act of passing is complete when Car A’s rear bumper is ahead of Car B’s front bumper. “NO PASSING” means a pass cannot even be initiated. Any overlap in a NO PASSING area is considered illegal.

25.4.3 Right to the Line

The driver in front has the right to choose any line, as long as they are not considered to be blocking. The driver in front loses the right to choose his or her line when the overtaking driver has their front wheel next to the driver.

3. The Dive Bomb

Now we deal with a common passing problem that occurs in the same situation described above. But we’ll look at two wrong ways of doing a pass into a corner.

First, you can try to overtake a car ahead by late braking. The written and unwritten rules above apply. It goes wrong when you mis-judge your position. Your front axle is behind the car you are attempting to pass, but you are threshold braking as the leading driver turns in. By the unwritten rules, you should adjust your speed, but you can’t because you are at the limit of braking. You also can’t adjust your line because you are at the limit of adhesion.

You should have seen this coming and backed off or braked earlier.

its pretty easy to see who is bombing corners by where you get hit. If you miss the braking zone and hit someone in the rear its the bombers fault. By the unwritten rule of the faster driver then anyone who bombs a corner has the right to the line whether they are faster or not. Does it make sense to encourage people to bomb corners by encouraging all fast drivers to own any line they want? This doesnt mean you dont attempt to let fast drivers through but it does help fast and slow people know exactly what is fair for the sport as a whole. Ive seen the fast guy claim eminent domain on slower guy all the time right after they nailed someone square in the rear. If you are fast most guys are doing you a favor when they move in a hairy situation dont take it to mean you are justified in driving like you are the only one who doesnt need to be a gentlemen.

lap traffic is an opportunity to be better than the guys you race with. Practice it and execute well and everyone else will follow.

Last edited by Bry195; 07-21-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I am a new racer, and in the novice class, so still learning a lot about racing and race etiquette.
I always let the faster car pass me, but I still want to, and like to race.
There is one turn on the track that I can nail particularly well I feel, but after reading this thread, I wonder if I am bombing that turn.
I am usually able to pass any of the other drivers on this turn, but when running in the top and passing other drivers on this turn, the faster drivers will 7 out of 10 times just plow into the back of me causing me to spin out while they pass on by.
I feel like they get mad I passed and then hit the throttle and get me.
But now Im not sure if im bombing the turn and thats why they hit me in the rear.
Im starting to think my technique is to head into the turn fast and slow down through the end of the turn, and now im thinking i dont get on the throttle fast enough out of the turn as I still need to slow a bit more to get full control back.
I know its tough to know for sure without seeing it, but does it sound like im the mad bomber? hah
Old 07-23-2019, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by morvlorv View Post
I am a new racer, and in the novice class, so still learning a lot about racing and race etiquette.
I always let the faster car pass me, but I still want to, and like to race.
There is one turn on the track that I can nail particularly well I feel, but after reading this thread, I wonder if I am bombing that turn.
I am usually able to pass any of the other drivers on this turn, but when running in the top and passing other drivers on this turn, the faster drivers will 7 out of 10 times just plow into the back of me causing me to spin out while they pass on by.
I feel like they get mad I passed and then hit the throttle and get me.
But now Im not sure if im bombing the turn and thats why they hit me in the rear.
Im starting to think my technique is to head into the turn fast and slow down through the end of the turn, and now im thinking i dont get on the throttle fast enough out of the turn as I still need to slow a bit more to get full control back.
I know its tough to know for sure without seeing it, but does it sound like im the mad bomber? hah
The thing is . you need to be able to hold the speed you entered the turn with not slow down..so you kinda are what you said mb..pick a better line one that you can hold your speed at (not slow down)
morvlorv likes this.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

thats a tough call but technically if your front axle makes it past the rear axle of the guy in front of you and you dont hit anyone it becomes the responsibility of everyone behind you to find a safe way around. However once you overtake slamming on the brakes could be considered a block if your slowing down significantly. if on the other hand you dive in and accelerate or go with the flow anyone who hits you in the rear is not respecting the rule for making a legal pass.

usually if your car spins it was your fault because you were hit in the side because you couldn't maintain the line or velocity.

However most faster drivers have support at the track that will out vote the rules and it can get pretty intense in a competitive hobby. While you are learning or racing along other guys who are learning its advisable to throw the rules around very lightly because you have a long road ahead of you. As you develop remember what you have learned and be an example for other up and comers that may invoke eminent domain or rule xxx and be realistic when you jack someone in the rear or encourage people to pass cleanly.

Last edited by Bry195; 07-25-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service