• 1 Post By Dough Boy
  • 1 Post By dave-man

Pro Driver Cars

Old 07-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Pro Driver Cars

Random thought of the day:

I have always wondered if pro drivers sell there year old stuff?? ie when a new model comes out or if they switch manufactures. I would think someone would pay top dollar for the worlds winning car.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Probably either give them back to company. Or like the rest, hope to get 50 percent value back at sale.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Greetings zhemel,

Cannot speak to how today's pros change up their rides.

Ten years ago I was sponsored in RC drag racing by a major manufacturer. A clause written into my contract prohibited me from selling any items I received as a result of the sponsorship. At termination of my sponsorship, the new, unused were sent back (at my expense). The used I disposed of with extreme prejudice. No hard feelings or heartburn on my part. I was treated well. It was just the way it was.

Be interesting to read how it is handled these days.

Cheers and Regards. AC
savage24x likes this.

Last edited by AHR43; 07-15-2019 at 06:10 PM. Reason: clarify two sentences
Old 07-16-2019, 12:05 AM
Tech Champion

Most worlds wining cars did become shelf queens with the trophy next to it. But normal season raced cars will most of the time be sold but most of the time to people with a close relationship with the driver.

But yeas, it is a way to get a cheap in a good condition car but do not think it is a way to go faster compared with a stock out of the box car.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Most worlds wining cars did become shelf queens with the trophy next to it. But normal season raced cars will most of the time be sold but most of the time to people with a close relationship with the driver.

But yeas, it is a way to get a cheap in a good condition car but do not think it is a way to go faster compared with a stock out of the box car.
Right on, Roelof. Happy you brought that up. I had completely forgotten to mention I did hang onto one power unit set-up for display of my retired series car in the workshop. It's been mounted to a peg-board display for ten years now. So long now that I sort of look through it, I guess.

You know, that brings to mind that perhaps IFMAR might consider establishing an RC racing museum where winning World's cars of all disciplines might be on display for all to see, along with U-Tube or LiveRC videos to accompany the display. Be a useful way for the sponsored drivers and sponsoring manufacturers to give back to the hobby, and to preserve a world-class race winning car.

Cheers and Regards. AC
Old 07-16-2019, 12:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I won a raffle for Paul Wynn's buggy from Jconcepts fresh off the track the only thing I didn't get was the transponder and transmitter all other electronics are still installed.
AHR43 likes this.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AHR43 View Post
Right on, Roelof. Happy you brought that up. I had completely forgotten to mention I did hang onto one power unit set-up for display of my retired series car in the workshop. It's been mounted to a peg-board display for ten years now. So long now that I sort of look through it, I guess.

You know, that brings to mind that perhaps IFMAR might consider establishing an RC racing museum where winning World's cars of all disciplines might be on display for all to see, along with U-Tube or LiveRC videos to accompany the display. Be a useful way for the sponsored drivers and sponsoring manufacturers to give back to the hobby, and to preserve a world-class race winning car.

Cheers and Regards. AC
The governing bodies and the manufactures should really look into this, it would be a creative way to show technological advancements through each winning car, plus free advertising / marketing for winning manufactures.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I bought a car that Barry Baker raced at the Reedy race (when he came out of retirement). https://1upracing.com/winbarryscar/

AHR43 likes this.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

I know some teams kept a lot of their Worlds winning cars i.e. Associated kept many of their 1:10 buggies and 1:8 on road cars... yet L. Collari kept his 1:8 & 1:5 worlds winning cars... depends on the contract and conditions. I would imagine a prototype like the 1:8 durango would not come up for sale...