• 1 Post By killer rock
  • 1 Post By jgil089
  • 1 Post By Roelof

MUST HAVE upgrades?

Old 05-03-2019, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default MUST HAVE upgrades?

Up until now, I have only bought used cars from seasoned racers. Of course, those usually come already built, upgraded, and mostly set up. Now Iím buying a kit (B6.1 Factory Lite), and want to know what you consider to be the MINIMUM NECESSARY upgrades to be competitive and durable on the track. If it matters, this will be for stock 17.5 class mostly on dirt and clay tracks, and I plan to swap the old ESC/servo/rx along with a brand new motor.

Also, if there are any doís and doníts while building it, or advice on how to interpret setup sheets, Iím all ears for that too.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Most of your current, modern kits are ready to kick butt out of the box. Save your upgrades for when you have an idea of what you want.

Do read the manual the whole way through before you start.
Do take your time.
Don't rush. Save your racing for the track.
Don't force anything. If something isn't fitting well, there's probably a reason.
Do keep a small metric ruler or calipers on hand. Do a quick visual check before inserting any screws/nuts/etc to make sure you're using the right size.

Setup sheets are a good place to start, but every track is different. Ask some of the fast locals with the same/similar car what they use.
BugleBoy10 likes this.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Aluminum servo horn.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:59 PM
Tech Adept

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

I would only look at durability issues, till I gotta a good handle on the car. Look through the b6.1 form for the durability issues.

Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread

Don't waste money an so called speed parts.
BugleBoy10 likes this.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:46 AM
Tech Regular

Check through the thread for the particular car to see whats breaking. I suspect nothing will break in 17.5T. I was told when i bought my kyosho lazer that they break shock towers and they do in mod, but I haven't broken a single one in 2 years in 17.5T blinky. Alloy servo horn could be useful but I haven't broken the kyosho kit ones yet.

The only thing I would look at would be springs for tuning at the track if you don't have some that will fit already, and then see if anything breaks.
BugleBoy10 likes this.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for all your advice. I built the kit with no upgrades except for half of the screws which I already had the sizes in stainless. The wing mount keeps tweaking, so I will probably get an aluminum one, but everything else is working great.

Jon003, your caliper suggestion was useful already too! I went back to a car I bought used last year and pulled every screw to measure and check against the manual. Obviously some people just put anything they have in there and forget about it. Luckily, I had almost all the right sizes to swap out.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

The only needed upgrades are the ones that you think are worth to you as an upgrade or improvement on performance of lifespan.
Most of the time there is nothing wrong with a box stock competition car

Most of the time you have more gain with a selection of different tires and gears when focusing on racing.
BugleBoy10 likes this.