Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Your Ideal Track/Racing Facility >

Your Ideal Track/Racing Facility

Your Ideal Track/Racing Facility

Reply

Old 04-24-2019, 09:32 AM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Mooreland, IN
Posts: 126
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Your Ideal Track/Racing Facility

I have a friend that owns a restaurant and is interested in building a new building that would house the restaurant and an RC track. The restaurant is a very popular regional chain pizza place. The location is east central Indiana. We are about half way between Indianapolis and Dayton, OH. He wants an indoor track that can run both on- and off-road racing. Limited to 1/10th and smaller. He wants to offer rental vehicles for people to try out, and to host birthday parties that have RC Racing as an activity. What's better then Pizza and RC Racing?


I want to help him design a facility that will be a good draw for as many racers as possible, so that the doors stay open as long as possible. My help is very self-serving. The track would be 2 miles from my house! Currently, I drive an hour each way to race each week!


So, I have several questions that I would like feedback on. First is track size. Obviously, to a point, bigger is better, but since he is building the building, extra size can mean a fair bit of extra cost. What size track seems to be average? Would you be happy racing on an 60x40 track? Or would you pass on that? Pit space is something else to take into consideration. How much space do you give each racer?


I think there is space for an outdoor track as well. I think that would help the draw in the summer as you could have a bigger outdoor track and allow for 1/8th scale and fuel powered vehicles. It would also allow you to keep the on-road layout available for practice throughout the week.


What other things make a track great? Is an onsite hobby shop a must? Carpet directly on the concrete, or built on a plywood raised backer? How tall should the driver's stand be?


It would be great if this facility could eventually hold larger regional events, but the nearest hotels are 20-30 minutes away. Is that a deal breaker? Because if no one wants to stay that far away, then worrying about a larger track to pull in a regional race is probably a moot point.


Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
0010 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:21 AM
  #2  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 96
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

48" wide seems to be pretty standard for pit space. Don't forget to properly set up outlets for the pit area. Daisy chained power strips lead to popped breakers and angry racers.

IMHO, carpet/turf tracks assembled in Lego like sections is probably cleaner, and allows the track to be reconfigured easily, compared to the earth moving equipment for a dirt track. Dirt will probably also be a turn off for the birthday event crowd.

My dream tracks reserves enough flat space to also be able to switch to on road.
jon003 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:09 AM
  #3  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Posts: 57
Default

im in central Ohio about an hour from Dayton and dirt seems to be way more popular around here with en hobbies/ the factory and even P&T in Indiana, for me an onsite hobby shop is a must and nice pit spaces, i loved the pit spaced at SDRC with the overhead light and extra storage space
ahe243 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:27 AM
  #4  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (6)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 9,586
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

In my limited time at a track, I do wonder about the need for a actual store anymore. With the amount of stuff people were bringing just for practice, I rarely saw anyone buy anything.
Billy Kelly is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:03 PM
  #5  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.
Posts: 176
Default

Originally Posted by 0010 View Post
I have a friend that owns a restaurant and is interested in building a new building that would house the restaurant and an RC track. The restaurant is a very popular regional chain pizza place. The location is east central Indiana. We are about half way between Indianapolis and Dayton, OH. He wants an indoor track that can run both on- and off-road racing. Limited to 1/10th and smaller. He wants to offer rental vehicles for people to try out, and to host birthday parties that have RC Racing as an activity. What's better then Pizza and RC Racing?


I want to help him design a facility that will be a good draw for as many racers as possible, so that the doors stay open as long as possible. My help is very self-serving. The track would be 2 miles from my house! Currently, I drive an hour each way to race each week!


So, I have several questions that I would like feedback on. First is track size. Obviously, to a point, bigger is better, but since he is building the building, extra size can mean a fair bit of extra cost. What size track seems to be average? Would you be happy racing on an 60x40 track? Or would you pass on that? Pit space is something else to take into consideration. How much space do you give each racer?


I think there is space for an outdoor track as well. I think that would help the draw in the summer as you could have a bigger outdoor track and allow for 1/8th scale and fuel powered vehicles. It would also allow you to keep the on-road layout available for practice throughout the week.


What other things make a track great? Is an onsite hobby shop a must? Carpet directly on the concrete, or built on a plywood raised backer? How tall should the driver's stand be?


It would be great if this facility could eventually hold larger regional events, but the nearest hotels are 20-30 minutes away. Is that a deal breaker? Because if no one wants to stay that far away, then worrying about a larger track to pull in a regional race is probably a moot point.


Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Honestly that's a great idea. But here are a few this to consider.
Dirt(clay whatever) vs carpet.
-Dirt will be easier to work with but required more set-up time. There's also watering system may apply. And require larger equipment to form. No on road cars
-Carpet you have the upkeep of the carpet, vacuuming, cars riping it so and so forth. Changing layouts would be very easy as lane dividers and ramps can be made and moved easily. How ever the initial build will be time consuming. Running off road out door cars there in the summer may also present another problem. Dirty track. Not the best for rentals.

Car rentals and birthday partys also present other problems. What kinda car will you rent and cost to repair. I recommend 2wd traxxas as there simplier car and mostly easier to repair. Slash are popular for kids. But you run the issue of people getting them dirt mud covered and then running on the indoor track further increasing maintenance weather it's ripping up carpet or getting it dirty. This wouldn't be a big deal on dirt indoor track. The next issue is not just the inside ground square foot issue. But the three dimensional how tall is the building going to be. Super store tall cellings would be perfered. Quadcopter and slow flyers would like a place to play in the winter. Another deturming factor is size 40x60 can be done but my new staring out drivers will find it to difficult. 60x120 not including pit space would be more ideal. And if your hosting birthday partys on area that can be section off in the pits would help to fearther add to the difficulty. Would be sectioning off the parking lot and building a influx of "racers" would eat up parking for restroom patrons. And racers don't generally like general population to go snooping through there pit area let's face it there are lots of thieves out there and are car aren't necessarily free. This is kinda of a loss loss area. The building can be same even sharing space just have a devider to slow traffic from the restaurant to the even separate parking lots.

Now if it was me I'd build the restaurant and hobby store. Do an out door track as this wouldn't increasing cost By much. And gauge the demand in the area. You would still be able to do birthday parties, and rentals include build a client bases in the hobby. If the base is there I'd get a indoor track going. Indoor track are buy nature of the beast a salty endever. He will probably also find that the pizza shop will be a far more profitable then the hobby and track.

I wouldn't worry about big regional events. Most guys have RVs and are used to travelling. It would also be a mute point that it would be some time before the track got the recanalization it would need to hold one of these events. he would be better off focusing on the base clientele
killer rock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:40 PM
  #6  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 76
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I am sure you will get a totally different answer from everyone that replies, but these are my takes, based on my limited time racing.

1) I have never been to a dirt or clay track, indoor or outdoor, where everything in the immediate area wasn't covered in varying layers of dust/dirt/grime by the end of the day. While eating concession stand style foods in that atmosphere is fine to me, I doubt I would be looking to eat a sit down meal by a clay or dirt indoor track for this reason.

2) Tire sauce tends to turn into a toxic cloud at some tracks. Even if it was limited to odorless varieties, I don't know that I would be looking to sit down to dinner in the middle of it. I also would bet that health inspectors will share that view.
Darkstorm05 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:27 PM
  #7  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 96
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I can't imagine wanting to eat at a pizza place connected to a dirt track and I'm a dirt track racer!
jon003 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:31 AM
  #8  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Mooreland, IN
Posts: 126
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the input guys!

The current plan is for the indoor track to be carpet only. If we had a dirt track, it would be outside only.

The restaurant would be completely separated from the RC track. There may be a door from the restaurant to the track, or there may be a shared foyer only, where you have to go out of the restaurant to get into the track. We would have to figure that out as we plan the layout.

As fart as rentals, I am think it would be Slashes and if we wanted to have on-road rentals, those would be the 4-tec.

I would like to get the indoor track somewhere in the 70x40 range with enough pit space to give each racer about 5ft and have enough space for 50 racers. I know it takes more work, but I think we would want to put a subfloor over the concrete and put the carpet on that.

All of this is subject to budget, though! Buildings aren't cheap and neither is the carpet!
0010 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:25 AM
  #9  
Tech Master
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,428
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
In my limited time at a track, I do wonder about the need for a actual store anymore. With the amount of stuff people were bringing just for practice, I rarely saw anyone buy anything.
Smart tracks will have the basics that people need and it will be bought there. But, they can't stock everything which is why so many people bring their stuff.

Tires
Bodies
Cleaner and Sauce
Batteries and ESC's can work if their pricing matches online resources.
Transponders
Fans
etc.

Chassis specific stuff is hard to stock unless there is a spec chassis class run there.
Troy Carter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:05 AM
  #10  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (7)
 
BugleBoy10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 162
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Indoors with reasonable climate control
Real bathrooms
Pit space in good condition
Timing system that is on most of the time
popular parts and tires available
Food on site is a big plus
Track not too big or small (small makes traffic, big makes it hard to see your car at the far end)
BugleBoy10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:50 PM
  #11  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,229
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Be careful w bday parties ...I've seen a few clubs lose their dedicated drivers once the kids bday parties started. If done separately from race days it could potentially work... but just think it through.
eR1c is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:20 AM
  #12  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (7)
 
BugleBoy10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 162
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
Be careful w bday parties ...I've seen a few clubs lose their dedicated drivers once the kids bday parties started. If done separately from race days it could potentially work... but just think it through.
A smaller, separate track is a good way to deal with that if possible.
BugleBoy10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:49 PM
  #13  
Tech Elite
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,687
Default

F dirt! We have 117,382,087 dirt tracks in Ohio already. Unless your pizza is to die for, you ain't going to last long competing against EN, Crcrcrcrcrcrcrc, Stateline, etc.etc. And the dirt will ruin your carpet track, and dust up the whole place.

Have you been to an indoor dirt track lately? A few snacks is fine, but a restaurant? Health inspectors are going to love you tenderly, unless you have tons of cash for bribes.

I recommend a clean astroturf track. Unique, fun, extremely low tire wear, and it's clean. Track needs to be at least 100x60. 150x100 would be good. 200x150 would be excellent.

Indoor carpet on road tracks can be much smaller. 90x60 maybe. If you're tight on space go carpet onroad only. Save the dirt for outdoors.






Drivers stand should be as tall as possible. Floor 7' below the ceiling. All the way up. Nose bleeds. 99% of Ohio racers have never seen a real drivers stand. Don't puss out on the drivers stand.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 05-09-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Zerodefect is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:55 PM
  #14  
Tech Elite
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,687
Default

If you're doing carpet on road only indoors, 36" of pit space is plenty. 48" is luxury. The 5' you mentioned.........is just excessive.

Even Yatabe's driver stand sucks. You have all of that head room.....
Zerodefect is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service