Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
race track in my back yard. >

race track in my back yard.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AHR43

race track in my back yard.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.
Default race track in my back yard.

So I'm think of put a track in my back yard either this year or next. Am I'm wondering what race format people like out there. I was thinking something like 3-5 minutes qualifiers, and a 6 minutes main. But looking at other rc races for track ideas. I ran across a track doing 10min main. I know with the way I tune my cars I could easily make it. But I'd like to know what others think. If you could change would you guys what to run 3-5 and a 6 minutes main, or 2-6 and a 10 minutes main. Or maybe you have format you like. Plz let me know
Old 04-10-2019, 05:05 AM
Tech Regular

Default RE: race track in my back yard

Do it, Killer. You'll love it and you can work out the event to fit your needs. Here is my backyard grass track oval. 16' x 40'. Small. Tight. Great. Still a work in progress. Dedicated it first day of Spring, with practice sessions weekly now to establish a sequence of events. Sessions are based loosely off U.K. motorcycle grass track and and full size Formula 1 format. Events run laps rather than a set time. Timing at present is mechanical stop watch, with a transition to radio up-timer planned for upcoming practice sessions. Track is purpose built for 17.5 ST. 13.5 ST is in the race stable, but may over power the track.

Right now, format is still evolving, but here it is: 10S + 10U + 20T + 20T +10Q +10R. Breaking the code down for you, it is 10S=10 laps with my safety truck. Then a change over to race truck with 10U=10 untimed laps; 20T=20 timed laps; 10Q=10 lap timed qualifier; 10R=10 lap timed race. 80 laps total make a race event. Am considering adding another 10 lap qualifier, a Q2x10. Right now, have a timed 6 minute break between lap sets. Will probably extend that to 8-10min. Takes just over an hour to run off a practice event.

Hope this helps. Have fun. It's a bit of work to maintain and set up/tear down. But well worth it.

Last edited by AHR43; 04-10-2019 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Tech Adept

👍👍👍
Old 04-15-2019, 05:45 PM
Tech Regular

Default RE: race track in my back yard

Killer and all,

Here are update photos of today's backyard event-Practice #3. Infield and border grass is greening up and growing, giving the track better definition in a photo. Also brought out the pop-up to keep the sun off the electronics. It serves as the 'parc ferme' (impound) between 6min round breaks. Ran the RC10T3 13.5 today. Too much power for this little track. Running wide, clipping cones and banging pipes, it came in a full 9sec slower than my RC10GT conversion 17.5. Need to tame it down, but most likely all the track will hold is a 17.5. Which is o.k. Starting line image at 4-cones shows how narrow the track is. Have to hold a tight line. Hard to do.

Hope this encourages you and others to give a backyard track a try. True, there are limitations, but there are also work-arounds to make it fun. Cheers. AC

killer rock likes this.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

o trust me encouragement not need. ive got ~100ft by 80ft i could use just deciding one the effort i should put in to it. and the way we should run it. lol

i love the props tho