Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
race track in my back yard. >

race track in my back yard.

Like Tree8Likes

race track in my back yard.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.
Default race track in my back yard.

So I'm think of put a track in my back yard either this year or next. Am I'm wondering what race format people like out there. I was thinking something like 3-5 minutes qualifiers, and a 6 minutes main. But looking at other rc races for track ideas. I ran across a track doing 10min main. I know with the way I tune my cars I could easily make it. But I'd like to know what others think. If you could change would you guys what to run 3-5 and a 6 minutes main, or 2-6 and a 10 minutes main. Or maybe you have format you like. Plz let me know
Old 04-10-2019, 05:05 AM
Tech Addict

Default RE: race track in my back yard

Do it, Killer. You'll love it and you can work out the event to fit your needs. Here is my backyard grass track oval. 16' x 40'. Small. Tight. Great. Still a work in progress. Dedicated it first day of Spring, with practice sessions weekly now to establish a sequence of events. Sessions are based loosely off U.K. motorcycle grass track and and full size Formula 1 format. Events run laps rather than a set time. Timing at present is mechanical stop watch, with a transition to radio up-timer planned for upcoming practice sessions. Track is purpose built for 17.5 ST. 13.5 ST is in the race stable, but may over power the track.

Right now, format is still evolving, but here it is: 10S + 10U + 20T + 20T +10Q +10R. Breaking the code down for you, it is 10S=10 laps with my safety truck. Then a change over to race truck with 10U=10 untimed laps; 20T=20 timed laps; 10Q=10 lap timed qualifier; 10R=10 lap timed race. 80 laps total make a race event. Am considering adding another 10 lap qualifier, a Q2x10. Right now, have a timed 6 minute break between lap sets. Will probably extend that to 8-10min. Takes just over an hour to run off a practice event.

Hope this helps. Have fun. It's a bit of work to maintain and set up/tear down. But well worth it.

Last edited by AHR43; 04-10-2019 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Tech Adept

👍👍👍
Old 04-15-2019, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Default RE: race track in my back yard

Killer and all,

Here are update photos of today's backyard event-Practice #3. Infield and border grass is greening up and growing, giving the track better definition in a photo. Also brought out the pop-up to keep the sun off the electronics. It serves as the 'parc ferme' (impound) between 6min round breaks. Ran the RC10T3 13.5 today. Too much power for this little track. Running wide, clipping cones and banging pipes, it came in a full 9sec slower than my RC10GT conversion 17.5. Need to tame it down, but most likely all the track will hold is a 17.5. Which is o.k. Starting line image at 4-cones shows how narrow the track is. Have to hold a tight line. Hard to do.

Hope this encourages you and others to give a backyard track a try. True, there are limitations, but there are also work-arounds to make it fun. Cheers. AC

killer rock likes this.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

o trust me encouragement not need. ive got ~100ft by 80ft i could use just deciding one the effort i should put in to it. and the way we should run it. lol

i love the props tho
enare likes this.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by killer rock View Post
o trust me encouragement not need. ive got ~100ft by 80ft i could use just deciding one the effort i should put in to it. and the way we should run it. lol

i love the props tho
Hey Killer, any more movement toward building your own track? Anxious to see what you come up with if you decide to move on it.

Here is current state my backyard grass track oval. Final size is 48ft. long x 21ft wide. Second image has the 1/10 scale Rustler Safety Truck pictured to give a perspective of track size relative to 1/10 stadium truck.

Cheers and Regards. AC

Old 05-31-2019, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Is tell you it coming along spendly but that would be a lie. The area is well over grown and mower has been giving me fits. So I haven't had the time. It is in my priority list to get back there right now it would be to clear the area again. Lol
Old 06-01-2019, 05:47 AM
Tech Addict

Default Track Maintenance

Hey killer rock,
Yep, Race tracks take constant maintenance or they will get away from you and revert to their natural state. Do you have pictures of how it looks now? Sometimes taking pictures you see things that your eyes didn't at a glace. Your part of the country more than likely has some natural terrain variations. Using the natural terrain will aid in constructing your track. Perhaps take this time before you begin the track to visualize how you want it to look in its finished state. Maybe just start with a basic track and add in the features as you go? The important thing is just starting it. At least it was for me. Once a back yard track is started, it sort of takes on a life of its own. Looking forward to updates. Cheers and good luck. AC
Old 06-22-2019, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

So I'm think of put a track in my back yard either this year or next. Am I'm wondering what race format people like out there. I was thinking something like 3-5 minutes qualifiers, and a 6 minutes main. But looking at other rc races for track ideas. I ran across a track doing 10min main. I know with the way I tune my cars I could easily make it. But I'd like to know what others think. If you could change would you guys what to run 3-5 and a 6 minutes main, or 2-6 and a 10 minutes main. Or maybe you have format you like. Plz let me know
Hey killer rock. Keeping your thread alive and current for you until you get your backyard track up and running and start posting up again. So, killer and all, here's the latest from my backyard effort:

With summer heating things up here in Houston, ran the fourth scheduled event on the backyard grass track yesterday. Also run practice sessions and test sessions in between scheduled events. Exclusively a 1/10 scale electric stadium truck track. Have three chassis and four truck configurations in competition with each other. Rules package is fleshing out well. Trick is not to over use the track. Keep it watered on a regular basis maintains the grass strong. Takes, on average, 1 1/2 hours to run off an event. Rules package limits event to two hour length max. 6min break between each of two 20-lap heats, 10-lap qual and 10-lap race. Timing system is radio up timer with manual stopwatch backup. Race schedule follows real F1 series, so plenty more events coming this year. Cheers, AC

Old 06-22-2019, 06:57 PM
Tech Adept

Been thinking of making one like this in my back yard.

killer rock and Galatians2 20 like this.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here's mine... don't get to drive much... new baby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuCuKypopU8
Old 06-28-2019, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Talking

bummer....
Old 07-01-2019, 04:49 AM
Tech Adept

ok, well ill give you a progress update. track work has yeat to begin/stalled, lawn mower broken have yeat to mow this year. Finally sent it in two weeks ago. they should be getting back to me the end of this week as to the low down. most of the Yard look like a forest.

And the area were Im putting the track looks like a jungle haven't mowed that part in... 3 years need less to say... i have my work cut out for me.

i went out to take pic of Nature's handiwork, but the sun was in the picture ill try and remember tonight.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:40 AM
Tech Addict

ok, well ill give you a progress update. track work has yeat to begin/stalled, lawn mower broken have yeat to mow this year. Finally sent it in two weeks ago. they should be getting back to me the end of this week as to the low down. most of the Yard look like a forest.

And the area were Im putting the track looks like a jungle haven't mowed that part in... 3 years need less to say... i have my work cut out for me.

i went out to take pic of Nature's handiwork, but the sun was in the picture ill try and remember tonight.
Great news you are getting ready to start, killer. Years ago, in Hawaii, I had an overgrown back yard to cut back. A lawn mower wouldn't even begin to tackle it. Went to a rental agency for a commercial grade weed whacker and mounted a brush cutter blade. That did the trick, and quickly. Something to think about to save your lawn mower for when the cutting is easier on it.

Looking forward to seeing the 'before' pictures. Cheers and good luck. AC

Last edited by AHR43; 07-01-2019 at 06:09 AM. Reason: add a sentence
Old 07-01-2019, 05:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AHR43 View Post
Great news you are getting ready to start, killer. Years ago, in Hawaii, I had an overgrown back yard to cut back. A lawn mower wouldn't even begin to tackle it. Went to a rental agency for a commercial grade weed whacker and mounted a brush cutter blade. That did the trick, and quickly. Something to think about to save your lawn mower for when the cutting is easier on it.

Looking forward to seeing the 'before' pictures. Cheers and good luck. AC
good advice i happen to own a commercial lawn mower. light commercial stump grinder. and i attend to attack the yard with extreme prejudice.

Morning panoramic view

Southwest looking Northeast

South west looking southeast

South west looking east

West looking east

West looking ...?

North West looking south

West looking north

a belt or two may brake but im not worried.
justn need to get it back from the shop first

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.