Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Did you start out in novice/beginner? >

Did you start out in novice/beginner?

Like Tree12Likes

Did you start out in novice/beginner?

Old 02-27-2019, 07:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Questions?? Did you start out in novice/beginner?

Just curious for racers at any level what class you started out in. If you began in a novice class, how long did you stay there and how did you decide to move up? If you started in a regular class, how was it beginning without a novice class first?
Old 02-27-2019, 10:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I started in novice offroad 30 years ago. Stayed there for 3 races. Then I moved to sportsman and after a couple races the club I raced at discontinued sportsman so I moved to stock. I started on road last year my 1st time out I raced a borrowed euro truck and raced also in novice. I came in 2nd in euro truck and the next time I went out they said I was good enough to run stock.i see some people stay in novice and never progress. I guess it all depends on the individual.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

i ran novice for 3 races I was running top 3 with my sct against a bunch of buggies and someone talked me into moving up to stock buggy I ran D and C mains for a little less then a year before finally breaking into the B and now im knocking on the door of the A less then 2 years total in rc I think moving up helped me learn a lot more then if i had stayed in novice
i see some people stay in novice and never progress. I guess it all depends on the individual.
to what he said my brother has just got a car and ran about 2 races but i dont see him ever moving up he doesnt seem to have the passion or drive to want to progress
mushroomed likes this.

Last edited by ahe243; 02-28-2019 at 05:23 AM. Reason: adding more
Old 02-28-2019, 05:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Not really. The group I started, and currently race with didn’t have a beginner/noice class. I started with F1 and USGT. What I did have was a group that didn’t mind that I was slow, very slow for the first few races. They let me slowly progress at a pace. In F1 the first couple racedays I was close to 6 seconds slower. Drove a pace I could learn with. Now 20 racedays later I’m still off pace by about 1.5-2 seconds a lap. But still progressing
Old 02-28-2019, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (99%+)

I started in novice. You had to Win 3 full novice A-mains to move up.

I think it took me about 3 months to get those.

You then moved up to Stk. where you had to win 5 full A mains to move to “pro” stock or Modified. T

This took me about 6-8 months. Because the racing was so close. Any one of 3-4 guys could win on any night.

But at any time if the race director/owner felt you were not under control or causing a lot of crashes he had no problem moving you back a class for a little while.

This was also back when we had 100-150 racers on a Sat club night. Now that’s a “big/trophy” race in this area.

JC3 likes this.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:41 AM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Both of the tracks I started racing at had a novice class. Unfortunately, when I started there weren't enough novices to even have a class!

Instead, I practiced for a few weeks at my local club on Wednesdays and then on Sundays started racing in VTA. Starting out in VTA wasn't bad. Most of the guys were all highly experienced racers and of course were significantly faster than me. Most of my time was spent trying to stay out of the way. This can be frustrating but it's just part of the way it goes. The learning curve was steep but I survived and one year later (this month actually) am still on friendly terms with everyone. lol

Starting out in a novice class would be a nice way to start out. I encourage everyone to start out in one if they can. On the other hand, if you don't have that option, then I wouldn't hesitate to just jump into a class and start racing. There are arguments to be made for trial by fire just as there are for easing into things. The most important thing is that you start racing because that is when you really and truly start learning!
Old 02-28-2019, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One thing I can't understand is the rate of progression today. I know some people deliberately try to stay in Novice because they want the trophy. But when you're skills are to the point that you can qualify for the stock a main I believe you should be forced to move up. Your experience will be better when you are racing against a group of similar skilled racers or better then it would be if you are racing against people with less skill.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

I started out in Novice stadium truck. I was there till I won 2 nights in a row.about 4 months. then I was told I had to move up..either mod or buggy.I did both.20+ years ago.at those tracks back in the days you did not decide what class you were in the TD did and you followed the rules.Race marshall help cleanup after race night ..
Old 02-28-2019, 01:31 PM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

It has been my experience that, at the club level, there is no progression. You just race whatever you want whenever you want. One thing that is typical, and from what I hear it happens at most clubs, is that the experienced guys will run whatever class they want INCLUDING classes typically thought of as novice classes. This eventually ruins the class and dashes the hopes of newcomers. I've seen it firsthand. Nobody can deny that this is exactly what happened to Euro Truck. ALL of the best racers at the two clubs I run at race Euro Truck. Some drive their trucks backwards around the track, bash into each other on purpose, and run over barriers for fun. A few weeks ago, a novice ran his truck in a race and ended up pulling his truck over mid race and giving up. He left and was very unhappy with the experience. Hopefully, your club will enforce some semblance of a progression ladder giving novices a chance to learn and grow.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Unfortunately at my local track 360, it's all pros and some sponsored drivers. We don't have a novice class, slowest was USGT which I dove right in. First few races, i just try to stay out of people's way. I was the last of C main but after many many practice sessions, I made my way to A main midpack. This took about six months but it was intense six months...rc was all I thought about.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:19 AM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnzhou2476 View Post
Unfortunately at my local track 360, it's all pros and some sponsored drivers. We don't have a novice class, slowest was USGT which I dove right in. First few races, i just try to stay out of people's way. I was the last of C main but after many many practice sessions, I made my way to A main midpack. This took about six months but it was intense six months...rc was all I thought about.
Damn, that's a tough situation indeed. USGT is a difficult class to start out in for sure!
Old 03-03-2019, 06:59 PM
Tech Rookie

I just got back started racing and skipped novice and went into Sportsman (2wd 17.5 buggy). First night I ran 8/11, last night I ran 4/8. Practiced 2-3 days a week over a couple weeks before I raced.

I had previous experience though as I raced about 15 years previous and I sim raced hardcore for about 6 years. Because of that a lot of basic concepts I already understood like racing lines, the format, etc.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I was a basher for 20+ years. Racing gave me a whole new perspective on RC. Things that I didn't pay much attention to when i was a basher, things like setup and tires, all of sudden become super critical. When you become a racer, you really know your car inside out. I wrench on my car much much more now.
Billy Kelly and JC3 like this.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:38 AM
Tech Master

most tracks are different..

some you win a X number of times. and move up
some its Lap times...
some its HOW you drive.. abilities can be seen by just watching each driver drive.

last year after racing carpet forever.. I retired and moved...... 1,800 miles. NO MORE snowy Winters...
found a dirt track.. introduced myself.. was put into Stock 2 wheel drive Truck.. and YES they have a good amount of Novices...
after 1 season... I was TOLD I was being moved to Modified...
even with a stock motor.. a 10 year old Tekin 17.5 with matching controller GEN ONE

my Lap times in stock were equal that of the average speed Mod guys.. I am not bragging.. really
been RC racing since 1991.. no gaps.. 1/12 electric to 1/4 scale GAS... carpet, blacktop, concrete... banked , flat...on-road and oval.

Consistent is a good thing.. not just fast.
my opinion.
JC3 likes this.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have never raced novice...started with 1/10 gas truck ten years ago and just figured it out as I went.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service