Stop and Go penalties

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kyle B.

Stop and Go penalties

Old 02-08-2019, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Stop and Go penalties

Iv'e been away from the hobby for a long time and after attending a few races iv'e seen something new to me. Stop and Go penalties.... being called by the announcer/scorekeeper/race director. I wonder if this is common nowadays or if this is unusual ? Iv'e not seen enough so closely to make any sort of call on the basic principal of these but the premise concerns me... For the call to be correct it seems to me that the RD needs to know well the skill and driving style of both racers involved. Additionally they imo need to have been watching these two very closely rather than just seeing some contact out of the corner of their eye and making the call. So i'm wondering how your local races handle this. Is there a preset idea of what kind of contact dictates a stop and go ? or a stop and wait x seconds then go ? I'm trying to wrap my brain around this idea, help me out. I like to leave the emotion out of it so please keep it based on reality... thanks
Old 02-08-2019, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

seen this for many years beats getting the Black flag.. stop n goes are common from carpet to dirt ...
Old 02-08-2019, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

never seen or heard of it.. Ohio or Texas... Carpet or Dirt...

I also agree. HOW ?? do they have spotters to report poor driving ?????
Old 02-08-2019, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

hehe, the infamous black flag.... yea chuck carpet off road … It is so random that it literally proves itself to be unfair and pointless.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

A little clarity.... I'm at a race and the R/D announces... Rick James - stop and go penalty, the racer does a quick stop then goes. OK... later another incident... R/D says Bud Wype.. stop and wait 5 seconds... the racer stops and sits until the R/D says "go".... I'm like wtf ? This is just one night where it doesn't seem the same as last week.... like just the R/D's umm... opinion ? judgement call ? Tell ya what, I just spent $500 on a new kit and would love to get back into hanging out with buddies going wheel to wheel and having fun but after seeing this I'm wondering if I really want to.... btw, the new car on practice night ? freaking awesome... this mid motor on carpet is definitely not the same as rear motor dirt..... I like it and will def be back for practice night next week.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Usually a stop and go is a result of a driver trying to make a pass and they hit the driver they are trying to pass, at our local tracks its sort of a good sportsmanship type thing to wait for a driver if you knocked them off the line or put them into the pipes or whatever. At bigger events they might actually penalize you if you don't wait because there is more on the line and its taken a little more serious
Blakesrc and Goof like this.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

OK,
Thursday... Race day..

the manager over the P.A system said I violated the pipe law... I caught the right front tire on the pipe.. and over I want.. I stopped and waited for the guy I was trying to pass.. then restarted the chase to catch him again....

after the race ..
I asked what rule I violated.. He said NONE.. "I was joking to rattle you"... and he did..

I finished third in the "A" main.. ruff day... 6,7,3.... for the day.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been racing rc cars for almost 30 years, and have raced at 60+ different tracks. Stop and go penalties have been a thing for as long as I've been in the hobby. It takes a good race director to be able to call stop and go penalties and to call traffic for the leaders. It isn't rocket science, the R/D has a computer that tells them how close everyone is on track. They watch the people who are battling for position, and if someone causes a crash and doesn't wait, they will call a stop and go penalty. At important races like the ROAR nationals there are extra people who's job is to watch to make sure everyone is racing cleanly.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you wreck the guy you are are trying to pass, even if it's an "accident", you need to stop on your own until he catches you. I have never waited for someone to call me on a penalty, I know when it's my fault and will stop in the nearest twisty section until he passes.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:25 AM
Tech Rookie

stop and go's are kind of an unwritten rule at my local track .. its more of a respect thing . no one tries to intentionally wreck someone but if it does happen we pull rite over and wait .
Old 03-25-2019, 11:20 PM
Owl
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by slackinoff View Post
If you wreck the guy you are are trying to pass, even if it's an "accident", you need to stop on your own until he catches you. I have never waited for someone to call me on a penalty, I know when it's my fault and will stop in the nearest twisty section until he passes.
This is how I've always done it as well. The only time I've seen the RD call a stop and go is when someone cuts the track, usually after a wreck and they didn't wait for a marshall to put them back on the correct side.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:03 AM
Tech Rookie

i am newbie in racing, so interested in all related to racing
Old 04-03-2019, 11:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Never been called off by a race director but yes like most people have said if u punt someone you should stop and wait then go. or if a major track cut, wait close to the same amount of time that turn would take or longer if the marshall doesnt correct you.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Don't confuse this with ''drive through'' penalties. Nitro. Drive down pit lane, and hopefully your deaf pit guy doesn't touch the car. If your pit guy fuels your car, you have to drive through again next lap. If your very deaf pit guy fuels you a second time, usually the RD's let it slide by then.

Please don't stop and go if you punt a lapper, or vice versa. All that does is keep you bunched up, so you collide again later.

Also because of that, some tracks do stop and goes for qualifying, some don't.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've never seen or heard of this, but I've only done club racing. Maybe its some kind of event thing?