Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Good entry level electronics for getting into 2wd stock buggy? >

Good entry level electronics for getting into 2wd stock buggy?

Good entry level electronics for getting into 2wd stock buggy?

Old 01-29-2019, 01:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Good entry level electronics for getting into 2wd stock buggy?

Looking to get back into the hobby and racing after a long break and things have changed a lot in the 15 years I've not been participating.

Mostly need advice on motors (17.5) and speed controllers as well as Transmitters and receivers. Something on the budget end would be preferred as I do not wanna go crazy spending at first, need to learn how to drive again first.

Thanks for all the help
Old 02-08-2019, 10:03 PM
Tech Rookie

You could always look for some used stuff to save a decent bit of money, someone is always selling stuff. If you want to go new hobbywing has the xr10 justock or xr10 prostock if you plan to stay racing in the 17.5 stock class for a while or if you want something that is a little more middle of the road for an esc Maclan Racing has the mmax pico esc (these escs wouldn't work in an open or mod class due to motor turn limits on them so keep that in mind for the future). For motor you cant really go wrong with a 17.5 nowadays stick with a well known manufacturer hobbywing, Maclan, tekin, Motiv, fantom,reedy,lrp, shurrspeed,muchmore,team orion, R1 wurks etc. Maclan and Fantom just came out with new motors and their old team edition motors are on sale for a decent price at Amainhobbies For transmitters I would personally get a futaba 3pv or sanwa mx6 they are both good entry level radios, match that with a three channel receiver from futaba or sanwa which ever you decide to go with and that should get you started welcome back to the hobby
Old 02-09-2019, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

I started out with cheap trackstar gear from hobbyking and it worked great. I have replaced it now as I was more consistent and the brandname gear is faster. Look at Surpass Hobby V4S for a cheap but good motor (there is a thread in the Radio and Electronics section). I went through the exercise a year ago for the new stiff and found Maclan, Muchmore or Orca as the best bet, but that was in part due to local availability. You can't go wrong with hobbywing either

As for radio gear, I run Sanwa MT4S but always recommend Futaba because the receivers are quite a bit cheaper. I also have some really cheap gear from Flysky but you really do get what you pay for. Personally I would buy the 4PV. My son has the 3PV and while it works great its quite small and the menus are a bit of a pain to use.

servos, I really like the Savox 1258TG for bang for buck but others dont like them
Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Justock ESC, Reedy Sonic motor, Savox 1258T servo, and Sanwa MX-V radio are definitely not holding me back. Handling and suspension setup make more of a difference in my success. Maybe when I get more skills and learn about settings, Iíll care more what electronics Iím running.