Learning to drive more aggressively >

Learning to drive more aggressively

Like Tree6Likes

Learning to drive more aggressively

Old 01-24-2019, 08:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Learning to drive more aggressively

As the title states, I need to learn to drive more aggressively. I think I am too cautious, and I wait on my cars too much instead of pushing them. I am a fairly decent driver, and pretty consistent with my top 15 average usually around a tenth slower than my fast lap. Mind you, this is on a small carpet track where laptimes are in the low to mid 7 seconds. I drive both 21.5 TC and 17.5 1/12, in both classes I am generally 2 to 3 tenths slower than the fast guys. The issue is setup and driving style. I can let the fast guys drive my car, and they don't get it around the track any faster than me. However, it is universal that nobody likes the way my cars drive. When they drive my car it is all over the place, pushy coming out of corners, loose going into them. When I drive it seems fine, but slow. So I have come to the conclusion that I need to be more aggressive, but I can't bring myself to actually do it.

The irony of course is when I started back racing again last year, I was over driving every corner. I was told to slow down and wait on the car. Now it is hurting me.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I usually try and set my cars to be aggressive to the point that at the end of my steering travel, the car will tend to spin out. Then I back my steering down, the result usually is a free car that doesn't scrub corner speed. That way when it comes to the driving, I just hit my marks and try and maintain that corner speed and get back on the throttle.
Hopscotch likes this.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

I think the conclusion you should have come to is that your cars are badly prepared and set up.
rccartips, gigaplex and antlockyer like this.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:37 AM
Tech Regular

I’m fairly new to TC racing. Driving aggressively is something that I’m working on as well. I run USGT, and I realize pretty soon that to be fast you need to be on full throttle almost the whole time. You can’t baby the throttle, as soon as you’re off the corner, you need to punch that throttle. Another thing I’ve learned is to put in the least amount of steering input as possible to get the job done. When and where in the corner you punch the throttle is also every important. Study the fast guys and listen to their car to find out exactly where they gas up and where they ease off.

Setup is very important. Most fast guys tend to want a lot of steering. Set up your car as such and get use it. If the consensus is that they don’t like your car’s handling then it’s probably something wrong with your setup and you should definitely look into it.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

change your car setup so it will hold the faster speeds needed to win ..not sure you can correct the timid way of driving either you have the gotta win attitude or you are just a causations driver.I always have been a hardcore driver but I lacked the skill level to hold the fast lines took me 3 years to lean that skill.best of luck in your new challenge..
trilerian likes this.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
I think the conclusion you should have come to is that your cars are badly prepared and set up.
Badly prepared... Not a chance. A setup that is not the best very possible. The problem is the cars handle just fine for the way I drive. I need to change the way I drive, then change the setup to accommodate.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

The so called Fight or Flight reaction is what your trying to change .sorry I dont think a person can change that on there own..Ive played some very Hardcore competitive sports .hobbies.. from base jumping to Air Bal speedball.not sure what a rush would be for you but go get 1 then bring it to the track ..lol
Old 01-25-2019, 11:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Something doesn’t sound right in the description. You say it’s slow, but only couple tenths off the lap pace of the fast cars. And at same time it’s all over the track. Seems like something is off in steering maybe. And the slightest touch makes the car twitchy. A video would really help here.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Something doesnít sound right in the description. You say itís slow, but only couple tenths off the lap pace of the fast cars. And at same time itís all over the track. Seems like something is off in steering maybe. And the slightest touch makes the car twitchy. A video would really help here.
It isn't all over the track when I drive it, only when more aggressive drivers drive it. When I watch them drive my car I cringe at how it looks compared to when I drive it, or how their cars look when they drive them. To be honest, if these guys were not at my track, I would think my car is great.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian View Post
It isn't all over the track when I drive it, only when more aggressive drivers drive it. When I watch them drive my car I cringe at how it looks compared to when I drive it, or how their cars look when they drive them. To be honest, if these guys were not at my track, I would think my car is great.
Ok, now I understand. Kinda at similar point. It does show that no one setting works for everyone. We all have different styles of driving. Iíve got a couple cars others donít like. And couple that I bought that they love how they are setup.

What I try to do during practice is shadow one of the faster driver. Get behind them a try as hard as can to follow their line. The group I race with has 15-30 years of racing, Iíve got 2. I donít expect to catch them. But I can and have found where they are much faster then I. And where Iíve closed the gap. Thereís one thing Iíve yet to get passed, that to them is just part of racing, thatís crashing and badly breaking a car. To them itís just part of racing.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If the fast guys are going 3/10 slower when they drive your car compared to their car, then maybe your car is the limiting factor.
Slow cars drive great. It's when you try to push for 3/10 faster that you realize the faults of a car.

johnzhou2476 likes this.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

If you are saying that the fast guys are driving your car 2 to 3 tenth faster then that's very minimal...almost invisible speed. I'm about few tenths behind the fast guys but i take the exact same lines as they do...it's throttle management in the corners where they catch up. Every corner can be broken down to 3 sections; corner entry, mid corner, and exit. where do you think your car is slow at?
Old 01-25-2019, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

"It's when you try to push for 3/10 faster that you realize the faults of a car" - that is so true.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:42 AM
Tech Champion

Start with drifting.

Yes, drifting looks slow and has no sense in agressive driving but it will be very helpfull to save a car when you push too much.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

I would get a better steering servo.. or a faster responding radio system.

I was surprised the difference between a 3pk and a 4PLS..
I had the 3PK for 10 years.. it died in December 2018.

then Setup... better braking control. brake with the motor..
not using the front tires.. scrubbing into the turn.
aggressive driving comes with confidence in car, systems and your own driving.

my opinion

I find something Wrong.. faster drivers are driving your car.. and not making adjustments to it ???? WHY???
I have always made some adjustments... but I write down the orignal ones.. IF I AM WRONG...

Never jerk the steering wheel.. never punch the throttle or brake..
easy / smooth...drops the lap time.
the smoother your control. the faster the car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service