Drivers Stand Height

Like Tree10Likes

Drivers Stand Height

Old 11-19-2018, 06:23 PM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Drivers Stand Height

Is there a standard railing height for a drivers stand?

I'm 5'9 and at my club the railing is high enough to cause me to have to hold my radio up to my chest when racing. I also race at another club where the railing is about counter height and it's perfect. I know, I know, use a stool if the railing is to high. However, it's not very realistic to carry a stand, car, and radio up to the drivers stand at the same time. Also, people complain that the stands are a trip hazard. Finally, racing while standing on a step stool isn't exactly a natural or comfortable position.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

We don’t have a driver stand for summer. Every one has there own step stool. The indoor track only has a slightly elevated drivers area. Maybe a foot higher. I don’t know if they would allow any step stools, maybe for kids.
JC3 likes this.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
Is there a standard railing height for a drivers stand?
Short answer: no.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Local zoning laws could also come into factor of railing height.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

stand away from the rail...

I know of no rule.. just local building codes if at all...
Old 11-20-2018, 09:55 AM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuck_thehammer View Post
stand away from the rail...

I know of no rule.. just local building codes if at all...
Well, I can't stand "away from the rail" because the bigger folks are resting against the rail and block the corners of the track!

I'm shocked at my club members response to my idea of lowering the railing a few inches. You'd think I was asking them to reconfigure the whole damn layout. Lowering the railing hurts no one! The taller guys won't notice it, the shorter guys and teens will benefit from being more comfortable, and the kids on stools will still be able to hold their radios at a reasonable height making driving more enjoyable. WTF!

My local club only races indoors in winter. I raced at another club over the summer that has a railing that is counter height - perfect for everybody and no stupid stools required. Nobody complained that the railing was tool low! Ever.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Ive always used a neck lanyard to hold my radio up. local laws should be followed with rails. id also either make a stand . ive had several tracks in other states that the railing was to high for my likings..34-38".. thats inches ..my personal stand was 4 inches tall and 12 inches deep and 4 inches past my shoulders width..
JC3 likes this.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Well, I can't stand "away from the rail" because the bigger folks are resting against the rail and block the corners of the track!

I'm shocked at my club members response to my idea of lowering the railing a few inches. You'd think I was asking them to reconfigure the whole damn layout. Lowering the railing hurts no one! The taller guys won't notice it, the shorter guys and teens will benefit from being more comfortable, and the kids on stools will still be able to hold their radios at a reasonable height making driving more enjoyable. WTF!

My local club only races indoors in winter. I raced at another club over the summer that has a railing that is counter height - perfect for everybody and no stupid stools required. Nobody complained that the railing was tool low! Ever.
Sorry,,, I did not think about the "TALLER" guys hogging the rails... so YES not an option for you.
what about asking group.. if you could make a small but Wider step stool for you, and leave it on the drivers stand... over in the corner.. till needed.

years ago.. we had a racer in a wheel chair.. and there was a jig to keep his chair from moving during the race.. as the chair was placed where there was NO rail.. to keep him from rolling ( falling ) onto track..
Old 11-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I’ve read that a number of tracks had to redesign or replace old drivers stands over past few years to make them handicap accessible. They might look at you bit harsh if they had to do this before you started racing there. Just a thought
Old 11-20-2018, 01:53 PM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuck_thehammer View Post
Sorry,,, I did not think about the "TALLER" guys hogging the rails... so YES not an option for you. what about asking group.. if you could make a small but Wider step stool for you, and leave it on the drivers stand... over in the corner.. till needed.

years ago.. we had a racer in a wheel chair.. and there was a jig to keep his chair from moving during the race.. as the chair was placed where there was NO rail.. to keep him from rolling ( falling ) onto track..
Sorry, maybe that came out wrong. Several of the guys in my club are big boys, 6'3" and 250ish. So, when they are up against the railing, I have to look around them to the left and right. That's just the way that it is for us smaller guys. Didn't mean it as a jab.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did survey the group and got essentially the same response that I got here - get a stool to stand on! lol So, since there isn't any standard, it looks like I'll be working on that.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

this is a simple fix if the OP has some skill and can get a wood pallet and cut it up and build a stand easy to do for me.
JC3 likes this.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:30 PM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
this is a simple fix if the OP has some skill and can get a wood pallet and cut it up and build a stand easy to do for me.
I have the skill, no problem at all.

The point is, Why? Why should I have to stand on a stand when the railing can be lowered by 4 inches! A few hours of time. Measure from the floor to desired stand height. Snap a chalk line. Zip the top of the railing off with a circular saw. Re-install the old railing. Don't even have to paint it. So easy.

Everybody wins in this scenario. That's what I don't get. What is the downside?
Old 11-20-2018, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

I have the skill, no problem at all.

The point is, Why? Why should I have to stand on a stand when the railing can be lowered by 4 inches! A few hours of time. Measure from the floor to desired stand height. Snap a chalk line. Zip the top of the railing off with a circular saw. Re-install the old railing. Don't even have to paint it. So easy.

Everybody wins in this scenario. That's what I don't get. What is the downside?
I think it comes down to... Humans.. do not like or except CHANGE... even IF they do not have to do the work...

as for work... our drivers stand NEEDS its floor replaced very Soon... so railings .. uprights and frame work for overhead cover.. all has to be removed to replace the plywood floor.. ( outdoor dirt track )
the track is going to provide the wood.. and "WE" are going to provide the free labor..
there is an OFFICE under the drivers stand.. so care is needed.
JC3 likes this.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

jc3 its up to you .. you need it then just do it thats that.. I raced for 10+ years at a track with no rail no handicap area .. it took my actions to get things correct .
JC3 likes this.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:11 AM
JC3
Tech Fanatic

This is downright funny. Last night at practice I noticed that there were stools on the drivers stand. Okay, I used one and it was better but I still felt like I was standing in the rafters. After my run, I heard somebody complain that they had tripped over one of the stools! Turns out that there is now an elaborate plan to make stools that can be hung up after each race and that lights are going to be installed over the drivers stand so that people can see the stools better if someone leaves one down!

All this trouble instead of trimming 4 inches off of the stand and making it a win win for everyone! Makes no sense at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service