Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By chuck_thehammer
  • 2 Post By 1/4milecrazy
  • 1 Post By TunedUpDiesel

Help on getting started in 1/10th buggy class

Old 11-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help on getting started in 1/10th buggy class

Hey everyone. Not new to rc but new to organized racing. I have a local indoor black carpet track. They have a 2wd spec slash 2wd class that got me started. Moved up to 4x4 SC open class but there just isnt that meany people running it. The vast majority of people run the spec class or run 10th buggy. Both 2 and 4 wheel drive, both stock and mod.

I am trying to decide what I want to get into first. I am leaning towards 4x4. No particular reason, I just like 4x4's. The thing that I can not decide is to go stock or mod. I have read that stock pretty much boils down to weight, bearings etc. In other words, who ever has the lightest car with the lowest drag will win (assuming all the drivers are pretty equal.) Is that true? I would appreciate yalls thought on both classes.

And now that leads to the actual buggies. Everyone at my club runs pretty different rigs. There is not one rig that stands out. After doing some research, I like the RC10B64 or just the B6 if I go 2wd. Do you guys think that would be a good place to start. At the prices of those rigs. I could get both and run both classes. OR spend more on one dedicated rig? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

driver with skills was win most of the time.... next is setup and equipment..

racing in confined space takes time to master.. try stock... as mod and a wall is not good...

I raced indoor carpet since 1991... so many years at it... PAN CAR....
I am a big fan of Associated products... now running a SC5M outdoor dirt..... and doing very well with it.
Cain likes this.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TunedUpDiesel View Post
And now that leads to the actual buggies. Everyone at my club runs pretty different rigs. There is not one rig that stands out. After doing some research, I like the RC10B64 or just the B6 if I go 2wd. Do you guys think that would be a good place to start. At the prices of those rigs. I could get both and run both classes. OR spend more on one dedicated rig? Thanks for any help.
You can't really go wrong with either of those. You could also look into getting a used buggy to get started with, then after a few months look to buy new. This way, you'll know a little better what you want out of a buggy.

TLR 22-4 2.0
Schumacher KD Mint
Old 11-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 260 (100%+)

In general, if you are a fast driver relative to your available competition, you will be fast in stock and fast in mod.

There are nuances in stock that can affect what you see for lap times and performance, but you still need to drive the vehicle. All the Pucks in the world will amount to a hill of beans if you are on your lid most of the time. And based on some offerings out there now for stock specific configured vehicles, I think you will see a lot of that voodoo go away. Vehicles people were tuning for stock were done that way because out of the box, they were made for mod classes.

I would say for you, watch the classes in question, and then decide what appears to fit your ability. You may find all the raw speed of mod gets you going, or the tighter lines since you can save yourself with raw horsepower is your thing.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

I was in the same boat as you a while ago: new racer, gravitating towards 4wd just because. I went with a stock motor just to get a feel for things & learn diving skills. I'm still a long way off the point where it's worth my buying lightweight goodies. My driving is still by far the limiting factor in my lap times.

​​​​​​4-mod usually runs after 4wd stock at our track, which means we usually martial for that race. To be honest, the guys & cars are terrifyingly fast to me!
Old 11-11-2018, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

race and go with a buggy in your driving skill level.. where do you finish now in both stock 2wd sc and mod 4x4?.. that should be your determining factor?..i race all 4 buggy classes and hate it when a rookie that doesn't know the lines an driving slowing all others down.. id say go with 17.5 blinky 2wd buggy class to start.learn to drive finish on the podium and move up to mod both 2wd and 4 wd.. you will have fun..
Old 11-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Running mod is not "moving up" People need to grow out of that mindset. Run the class that interests you more. I chose to run stock buggy classes because I saw laughing and smiling on the drivers stand, friendly competition and rivalry. I see lots of anger and hostility on the drivers stand during the mod racers.

EVERYBODY that runs any class was a noob at one point and if they cant deal with noobs in their sacred mod class then they need to grow up and find a new hobby, because at a worlds event they would be the one getting in everyone elses way.

The B6 and B64 are great chassis for either class. And regardless of what most idiots in this hobby say you do not need a lot of expensive mods to run stock classes, some parts help some are just for fun, but none necessary. My B64D has pucks system and so did my B5 and B6 but my B6.1 does not. I do not have super expensive electronics, Gens ace batteries, Hobbywing stock ESCs and Trinity certified motors. My B6.1 is out of the box stock.

I would suggest looking into a chassis that is most supported locally. See what the LHS stocks, see what local racers are running most. There will be the most help out there for you.
chuck_thehammer and jgil089 like this.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a b64 I run 13.5 on a clay indoor track and love it. Its my second fav to race. My first being 1/8 eBuggy
Old 11-24-2018, 06:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey I'm in the same boat as you! But our largest class is by far 8th ebuggy, they have beginner, intermediate, and expert. We have a decently sized indoor dirt track that is hosting a national event in '19. 2wd is almost none existent here and there is basically no 4wd stock class, so my only option is to go 4wd mod. I went to a few races the past couple of weekends and just walked around, asked racers questions, what car are you driving, what motor, what pinion, what battery, what tire, and a few other things.i bought a B64d and just finished the build, it was pretty simple, bought a used sonic 7.5 on here and new electronics (waiting for them to get here). My best advice is simply to ask other drivers at your track questions, and ask them set up questions, also look at set up sheets online for similar tracks. I wish you the best in your 2w or 4w adventure!
Old 11-24-2018, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

Modern 17.5 buggy are plenty fast, and it is not the lightest weight vehicle. There is a minimum weight limit of 1500g for 2wd stock buggy in most places. A lighter drive train for more punch will help with clearing the jumps in stock class since you can't just power your way through like you can with mod. Mod racing is another different level in terms of concentrations. I like 2wd for simplicity and less things to break, and easier to setup and a hell of a lot cheaper to run. When you actually start to setup the car, you will get overwhelmed with all the adjustments, and there will be even more adjustments with a 4wd buggy.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My son and I both have the b64. They are great cars. I personally would opt for the 4x4 I think they are easier to drive.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys. Thanks for all the replies. I ended up getting the b64 and b6.1. Love them both. I have not raced them yet as I am still getting them dialed in for my conditions.
1/4milecrazy likes this.