Good birthday gift for an R/C driver? >

Good birthday gift for an R/C driver?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Troubles Dad
  • 1 Post By Ylenor

Good birthday gift for an R/C driver?

Old 05-25-2018, 03:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Good birthday gift for an R/C driver?

I just recently started dating a guy who is heavily into RC racing. He's been sponsored by companies and the whole gammat. I want to buy him a gift for his birthday, but dont what to get something useless. Here are a few details:

He's in his early 40's, urban/ethnic, I think he has electric and fuel cars and my budget is under 60 bucks (this is a fairly new dating relationship).

Any suggestions? What would you want? Help a girl out! 😊
Old 05-30-2018, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 190 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdate View Post
I just recently started dating a guy who is heavily into RC racing. He's been sponsored by companies and the whole gammat. I want to buy him a gift for his birthday, but dont what to get something useless. Here are a few details:

He's in his early 40's, urban/ethnic, I think he has electric and fuel cars and my budget is under 60 bucks (this is a fairly new dating relationship).

Any suggestions? What would you want? Help a girl out! 😊
feed him as chances are he has everything or just bought it, and can't go wrong with a good meal
gigaplex likes this.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My pro tip would be look at what he goes through/throws away packing for. If there's a lot of tire bags in the trash, maybe look at what they are and get those.

If the relationship is too new to be able to see that, I'd stay away from actual parts and stuff.

If you've been to a race that's a good opportunity to take note on what he uses/goes through and if there's any functional stuff others have that he doesn't (fan for his table, tackle box for organizing parts....)
Old 05-31-2018, 09:43 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Gift cards?

I know they seem lazy but my wife and family never know what to get me, and to explain I need some tires for mt410 would be talking Greek.

I would say amain or any local rc shop would work well. It also shows your trying to get involved. It was awesome when my wife atleast attempted to get into running short course with me. It was the effort, even a small amount makes the world.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

60 for a sponsored driver.. hmm might look into what HE wants....I dont know but 2 of his vises but his lady and RC ,,,,rc 4 $60 not so much.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Maybe instead of getting him something, go with him to the track for a day and take part in the hobby. It may mean more to him that you want to try it out and spend time together doing something that he enjoys than buying $60 worth of parts that he may or may not need.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Kelseyrc View Post
Maybe instead of getting him something, go with him to the track for a day and take part in the hobby. It may mean more to him that you want to try it out and spend time together doing something that he enjoys than buying $60 worth of parts that he may or may not need.
bad idea.. its our getaway ..never said buy him parts he wont need
Old 05-31-2018, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Bold move getting him something RC related....I've taken my wife to the track with me (before kids). If he is that into it he probably has a loaner car you can beat up on at the track.

$60 is plenty - my GF in high school bought me a DVD player (this is 1999) and it was like 300 bucks....was actually kinda a turn-off as it made me realize she had no concept of money! I do like the idea of scrounging around to see what he has.

I would look to see if he has a nice pit mat or T-shirt/Hat - if its starting to fall apart you can get him something that has the logo of what he uses/races - i.e. Team Associated Car = Team Associated pit mat.
https://www.teamassociated.com/news/...iated_pit_mat/
https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-as...BoCNqsQAvD_BwE

You could also just do a gift certificate to A-Main Hobbies.

The cars that he race might not have the brand so look at the body and any stickers. Typical brands he might have would include Losi, team associated, teckno, kyosho, serpent, and tamiya. What ever you do don't get him anything Traxxas!
Old 05-31-2018, 06:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Maybe one of those micro drones for indoor flying. Might be something completely different to him.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:26 AM
Tech Rookie

new car!
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Ogio bag

If he has everything cant go wrong with more organization like gear bag. Tool carrier etc