Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Budget Racer question on ESC >

Budget Racer question on ESC

Budget Racer question on ESC

Old 05-16-2018, 05:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Budget Racer question on ESC

For those that are budget racers or just somewhat frugal Does anyone run a single ESC and move it from car to car? Or do you suck it up and just buy dedicated ESC for each car?
Old 05-16-2018, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

No reason it couldn’t be done. You’d need a way to disconnect motor. And while in the RTR world that’s common. In the racing world connections are usually soldered in place.

Transponders are another thing that you’ll most likely end up buying more then one of. I tried last year to share a transponder between 2 cars. After about a month broke down and bought and second. And a third this year. And most likely a 4th in the not to distant future.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by aERonAUtical96 View Post
For those that are budget racers or just somewhat frugal Does anyone run a single ESC and move it from car to car? Or do you suck it up and just buy dedicated ESC for each car?
I'd avoid trying to swap car to car, the receiver leads aren't made for that and would eventually be an issue. I usually just buy one for each vehicle and move it over if i get rid of that car or decide I want it in a different car.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would say there cheap enough now days but as someone who is broke i understand the money thing.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I know all about working on a budget, that's why i recommend the xr10 justock. Cheap enough to put in the cars and leave them there. I mean velcro, then bullets or plugs will work......you can do anything you want. That's one of the best things about this hobby.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

switching esc car to car can be done. might want to add a small servo extension on esc rx plug.. 4 mm bullets are also used on esc to motor connectors along with Velcro on esc base.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have been sharing a transponder between cars but that is annoying me already. Sharing ESCs of course can be done.. but when you can find pretty good ESCs used for under $45 and can get new ones for about $50-$60, it just seems worth buying them.

I have both the Hobbywing xr10 Justock ESC for my B6.1d that I run 17.5T sportsman stock and a Hobbywing 10BL120 ESC in my 22T as my local track runs an open class for Stadium Trucks currently so I wanted one I could run mod motors even though I still only have a 17.5T in it currently. If they go to stock stadium truck (no ESC timing) I can put blinky firmware on the 10BL120.

Both are great budget ESCs (under $55 online new) that work great and are easy to program even with the one button programming.

Last edited by socalcloin; 05-18-2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: I suck at words