R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ozziii

Old 02-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Getting started

Hey guys,

So I'm new here to the forum, but have been doing rc's since I was a lil kid and now I'm 27 and have been doing it for a long time but have never raced. I've always wanted to get into it but my parents saw it as a waste of time, now a parent of 4 myself I'm finally in a position to where I can focus on my dreams of racing (seriously) not just for fun I want to race competitively. Now being new to racing (even though I've followed it) I had a couple of questions.

1. What is the best class of racing to get into buggies short course etc and what scale? (Short course and buggies seem to have more tracks around here)

2. What a good competitive kit that I can build and race for a couple years for the above mentioned class.

3.any other advice would be great.
Jaredrcnut185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:17 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If you can get a car around the track without too much crashing, a 2wd buggy would be ideal. Stock buggy is the most popular class where I race, short course fell off pretty hard. Short course is nice though if you're still having trouble getting around the track since the bumpers and body enclose the wheels.

Losi and associated will be the main players for buggy or short course. Keep in mind that losi uses a different offset on their wheels than most other manufacturers, so if you switch brands at some point you will be buying new wheels.
anthonyscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:26 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

2wd stock buggy is probably the largest class in the country right now. At my local track we have 3 heats of stock buggy and 3 heats of mod buggy just about every weekend. I would suggest going to your local track on a race day to see what's popular and to get an idea on what kind of tires to get so when you show up to race you will be as prepared as you can. Sct is alot more forgiving since it isn't open wheel but that class isn't real popular at some tracks.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

My advice is go to the track you plan to run on most often. Ask questions of the racers. 95% will answer honestly. While 2wd 1/10 scale is the most popular, it might not be at that track. I was running 1/8 nitro out in Alberta because it was one of the most popular classes. I moved back to Ontario and its hard to find a place to race that car. You don't want to buy a 1/10 and go to the track and realize there is no one running that car. Have an open mind and have fun.

Parts availability is everything. If your local hobby shop only stocks Losi and you have an associated, you are going to be ordering everything which can sometimes take a week.
Anderson Zap Ties
- overkill is a good thing -
buster8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster8787 View Post
My advice is go to the track you plan to run on most often. Ask questions of the racers. 95% will answer honestly. While 2wd 1/10 scale is the most popular, it might not be at that track. I was running 1/8 nitro out in Alberta because it was one of the most popular classes. I moved back to Ontario and its hard to find a place to race that car. You don't want to buy a 1/10 and go to the track and realize there is no one running that car. Have an open mind and have fun.

Parts availability is everything. If your local hobby shop only stocks Losi and you have an associated, you are going to be ordering everything which can sometimes take a week.
Solid advice right here. I was going to basically say the same thing, as I learned the hard way and have a couple useless cars sitting around cause no one races them at my local track
Andybellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Go to your local tracks.
See what classes they are running..
Find a radio(not flysky or radiolink)can you find decent priced rx?.
Look 4 a rc to run..parts are most important
Tires what are you going to need?
Batteries
the rc guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #7
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Solid advise going to your local shop and track to see whats popular class and brand wise.
I played the 'I know better' game and it just ended up costing me money. Big thing is to support your local shop, you support him and he will support you, and that's huge.
Just be prepared to spend money if your planning to be seriously competitive, our pro guys that show up put more into tires than I can fathom.
Bmans5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #8
Tech Regular

got led down the trail of deceit back awhile .went to a track a few nights
seen what they ran. then went to lhs and was sold a truck i could not run had to make a ton of changes.
the rc guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Like all the others said, see what your track runs first. The B6 club racer would be a great start to get into stock 2wd buggy racing on a budget.
ljl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:24 AM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via Skype™ to ozziii

1/8 scale nitro buggy, its the top class & very popular just about everywhere around the world.
As for a buggy, people will tell you what they like but best to do some research, just because something is more popular doesn't mean its the best for you, & alot of racers are just fan boys & follow a top driver, if he changes then so do they.
Also look into customer service & what sort of help you can get when it comes to set ups & racing advice.
On that note, just save yourself the hassles & get a JQ Racing Black Edition, great buggy & customer service thats hard to beat, you get info straight from the cars designer & owner of the company & a family of team drivers. The car is really good.
Demonyo likes this.
SWEEP tyres, Savox servo's.
ozziii is offline   Reply With Quote