Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Project Sakura D4 RWD Drift looking for some Tips, Tricks, and a few answers

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Did some more messing with the steering. Moved back the ball mount position, changed kpi mount position and used too arm adjustment to realign things properly and to fine tune the dynamic toe angle

Here are the results

I cut off the inside top mount for clearance issues as it was hitting at full lock on the inside

Old 12-31-2017, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Looks much better. Let me know how your test goes.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rskoncepts
Looks much better. Let me know how your test goes.
Will Do, doing a trip to the track on Wednesday to hopefully get some actual track time and actual drifting practice
Old 01-01-2018, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Switched to the other top arms since changing kpi mount. Ty the ends on the tie rod were almost at full only a couple threads holding on.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

How'd your test session go? I'm hoping to go out to they next drift night to get some video for you.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Interested in that video.

Session got delayed till Saturday/Sunday. Had snow come through and more tonight and tomorrow. I do removal so I'll be on some long shifts next days or so.

I should get some time in this weekend with a next buddy who is as newb as me with a fresh built kit
Old 01-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Final verdict on AVC for Drift.... No Good..

A Drift Gyro will correct then recenter on its own. AVC corrects but doesn't center until the RC centers, so it's good for something like racing not drifting.

So I'm going to get a 20$ gyro and look into some of the other options.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

That's a bummer. Good test though. I'll ask what the others are using other than the Yokomo/copy versions.

Last edited by rskoncepts; 01-10-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

new here and returning to the hobby after about 15 years away..Just wanted to know what brand of wheels you're using, Been looking at a d4 to get into drifting and i'm liking the offset of the volk's racing style wheels..

oh and excellent choice on an s13 body..I'm looking at the abc Sileighty to match the car I used to have 12 years ago..
Old 01-15-2018, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

ABC bodies are Top Notch

Wheels I got variable offset switch from 8Mm to 11Mm I like the MST wheels tho cuz of more offset options.

Tires depends on track surface. I been running stock tires put on my rims on carpets with success
Old 01-15-2018, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Custom mono shock mount and mst lower ball end mods.

I now got a proper Drift Gyro, Onisiki to go with my Motor and getting some track time Friday for testing things out.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Looking good. Post your video again. Did a first test with my car and was hooking pretty bad. Need to look at that.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Looking good. Post your video again. Did a first test with my car and was hooking pretty bad. Need to look at that.
My set up in old video was using very different geometry running AWD upper arms I've since put the RWD arms on (details of BK edition) to get smoother steering.

Post pics of the steering set up maybe its got something I can spot causing it to hook up wrong. Pay attention to the tire that flattens out they can become like an anchor hook n spin the car if grabbing at the wrong time
Old 01-22-2018, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Made some changes to the front camber link, adjusted the toe to help with the ackerman, added a little more ride height, and added weight to the back. May have to add more negative camber but will need a shorter link for that.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Made some changes to the front camber link, adjusted the toe to help with the ackerman, added a little more ride height, and added weight to the back. May have to add more negative camber but will need a shorter link for that.
What's your KPI on the knuckle set to?

I've finally got my knuckles in. Sorry the long delay was waiting on parts and busy busy clearing snow. .

I've done much learning about how to set up the geometry and it took the knuckles to get my target angles but I got em.

Important to note the lead wheel that is flat is lifting about 1mm. No real kick up from steering other than that. This transfers weight to the rear trailing wheel as I want it.

Front trailing wheel has massive dynamic camber tgats serious angle, I love it.

Lead wheel nice and flat when at angle. This is the common thing amongst Drift set ups. They may vary how much dynamic camber the trailing wheel gets sharper the angle IMO faster more technical drifting beginners may have troubke with. A flatter trailing wheel for slower drifting much mire forgivable better for beginners to start with.

Ohhh yeah that Angle

I've also been doing some work on Shocks / Shock oils to get usable data for tuning. I came up with a chart of calculated spring rates for MST springs matched to shock Oils

I had issues with too short tie rods and no more camber to get until I put in new knuckles and used the furthest outside mount for the top. Gave room to get more camber and room on the tie rods to adjust toe both ways vs being at the limit.
JatoTheRipper likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.