R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum

Like Tree5Likes

Old 12-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Does your track enforce clean starts?

I have raced at a couple tracks that restarted when there wasn't a clean start and it was really nice, got old sometimes but at least you could get most of a lap in. The track I'm at now you cant get past the first corner before you get railed off the track and into last place. Just curious how tracks across the country handle starts and rough driving. Thanks!!
Styler60 likes this.
hoyt1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here at Trackside we will restart any race we see fit. We have a pretty good group of racers, so usually one restart is all that's needed. After a few corners we call it a good start, after that anything goes. I do not restart for self-inflicted mistakes unless they affect "innocent" cars following, however.
Adamska27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think restarts are bogus. It penalizes anyone who did manage to get a good start. You don't see it as big events so why should it happen at club races?
wydopen likes this.
Vintage: Assciated RC10B3FT
Fastlane Raceway, Blue Springs, MO
CTRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

A) We will do them in any race we see fit, from a Tuesday night club race to the Team Associated Championships or any other big race we run

B) The only restart we had Saturday was when the second car in the 10 car main slid out on the 2nd corner, blocking the entire rest of the field, it wasn't fair for the 8 guys behind the mistake car
Old 12-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Any time I get away without a flameout on the line or being punted they seem to call a restart in which i get clocked or flameout
Im not a fan unless a bunch of guys couldn't hear the tone.
HaulinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We have had more great starts since we stopped doing restarts. We tried the no passing before _____ rule, we tried doing restarts. We have had the most success reminding people that there will be NO restarts. Its never a problem in the As. Its the lower mains where that guy that had 2 bad qualifiers and feels he "belongs" in the A is usually diving up into the field trying to push his way to the front. Once we did the no restarts "that guy" seemed to be a little more patient.
WagwanBumba and gigaplex like this.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 171 (100%+)

I think on bigger tracks you could get away from restarts, but where hoyt67 races lap times are in the 17 second range, and if you get punted in the first corner you will get lapped by the time a marshal gets to you, as will say most of the guys and gals race clean their, just need to start enforcing better racing with a stop and go penalty for rough driving.
Ecrt.5 on 6s = broken parts
We stand for our flag!!!!
Troubles Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
Tech Master

We are 36x80. Current layout is average 17 second laps, typically we are in the 13 second range. And once we started doing no restarts we got a LOT less rough starts. We tried at RD discretion, we tried 50% of field, we tried everything. Letting the racers know there are no restarts we have had a lot more clean starts than ever before. That is what I have personally seen as RD for over 3 years.

With no restarts people dont go diving into corners. Maybe its just the mentality of our clubs racers, but it works.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #9
Tech Master

So how do you keep that guy that qualified 10th from flying in and wiping out most of the field in the first corner, as that track does not have any rules yet on rough driving or clean starts, it's just not fair to them guys in my opinion to get taken out and getting lapped since the leader got away.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubles Dad View Post
So how do you keep that guy that qualified 10th from flying in and wiping out most of the field in the first corner, as that track does not have any rules yet on rough driving or clean starts, it's just not fair to them guys in my opinion to get taken out and getting lapped since the leader got away.
Let him ruin 9 peoples race and watch what happens. I know I dont have the balls to piss off 7-9 other drivers. Especially since we all race together so often.

Honestly, its been great. Everybody has benefited since we started this. It works where I am. Try it for yourselves for a couple weeks, if your racers cant act right knowing the consequences then it may not be for your track. I know I would be a lot less conservative if I knew there was gonna be a crutch in case being an animal didnt work out.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
Let him ruin 9 peoples race and watch what happens. I know I dont have the balls to piss off 7-9 other drivers. Especially since we all race together so often.

Honestly, its been great. Everybody has benefited since we started this. It works where I am. Try it for yourselves for a couple weeks, if your racers cant act right knowing the consequences then it may not be for your track. I know I would be a lot less conservative if I knew there was gonna be a crutch in case being an animal didnt work out.
I would love to see that I all honesty, but trying to promote clean racing and clean passing, as their is a great group of racers their, just don't want the racers that have been racing clean to start bashing and ruining the race for the rest, just it gets frustrating to see people getting taken out.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubles Dad View Post
I would love to see that I all honesty, but trying to promote clean racing and clean passing, as their is a great group of racers their, just don't want the racers that have been racing clean to start bashing and ruining the race for the rest, just it gets frustrating to see people getting taken out.
That's exactly what happens, it becomes a vendetta to go get even when it shouldn't have to, or, be that way to begin with.
hoyt1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

I think the answers here lie in the race director, not the format. If you are the cause of more than 1 restart, I will personally put you at the back of the grid. As soon as I sound the tone I just say "patience, patience, patience" - a good race director will commend a good lift/brake, and penalize a bad move.

We had 14 mains last Saturday, and I think I restarted 1, maybe. We don't have a lot of restarts, but we will restart for the reasons I stated above.

I think the places that do restarts shouldn't be too itchy to pull the trigger on the restart. If the 7th and 8th place cars get together, they'll likely be marshalled and back at the end of the line shortly, to me the issue is when something happens in the front of the pack and then everyone piles up into it.

At the end of the day though, if your program is working and people are having fun, that's all that matters.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

We've started spacing out the cars more on the grid. Last few guys end up around the last corner but that's part of qualifying. We have had much cleaner starts as a result.
Troubles Dad likes this.
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
We've started spacing out the cars more on the grid. Last few guys end up around the last corner but that's part of qualifying. We have had much cleaner starts as a result.
Wished I had thought about that one, as I will make that a suggestion to one of the members their as currently they are spaced about 6-8 feet apart, so this might solve the problem and put more on qualifying to get a better starting spot, also note the RD does not like to piss people off, but I am betting the next race will be a eye opener