Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Trying to decide on which 2wd buggy mod motor? >

Trying to decide on which 2wd buggy mod motor?

Trying to decide on which 2wd buggy mod motor?

Old 10-22-2017, 09:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Trying to decide on which 2wd buggy mod motor?

I always thought you just picked a turn # and ran it. I see there is lots of options on torque, rpm, and rotor strength. I've decided on a 10.5t motor but not sure if I want a spec motor or a true mod motor. I'm looking for a smooth motor not a real punchy motor. I understand I can change esc setting's and t/x setting to smooth out the feel of the motor. But I would like to start out w/ a "smooth" motor rather then a light switch type of powerband. I'm not sure if a smooth motor even exists maybe there all the same. I would also like the brakes to be smooth and consistent. This is my first 2wd buggy so I'm just trying to make the transition from 4wd to 2wd a little easier. Thanks for all the help guys
Old 10-23-2017, 10:37 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

First, in a mod class, it's often better over the long haul to run the motor you will eventually need, i.e. a 6.5 for this class on carpet/turf or an 8.5 for dirt tuned down as much as possible than to run a "training wheels" type of motor. A 6.5 with the punch on your ESC at 1 and throttle epa on your at 80% will be closer in terms of feel to what you'll need to learn to run with eventually than a 10.5 at full power.

As far as types of mod motors and how they feel, a thought to remember is that the less-good stock motor cans/designs make good mod ones and vice versa. Motors that you can safety say were designed as mods first will generally deliver the best feel in the mod turn ranges. Of the 6.5 motors I've ran, the Reedy M3, Muchmore ZX V2, HW V10 G2 and Orion VST2 are tangibly smoother at the same turn range with the same ESC settings than, for example, a Shurrspeed mod or, the worst mods I've ever ran in feel terms, anything from Trinity.

You also generally don't need to do much motor tuning or use extraordinary rotor setups, etc. in mod either as the motors typically come setup in their default configurations for what they will be used for, i.e. most 6.5-8.5 motors come the way you'd want to run them in a 2w buggy, most 4.5 motors are setup for a mod touring car and so on.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I like the even turn motors (6.0,7.0, etc) for their smoothness and they still have plenty of top end. My only experience with them are the Fantom ones though.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys, I ended up getting a tekin 10.5t combo. When he isn't fast enough I have a fresh 8.5 ready to go.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:08 PM
Tech Prophet

For TAP raceway a 10.5 or 8.5 is plently on 2wd and 4wd buggy.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:46 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racingnewb View Post
I always thought you just picked a turn # and ran it. I see there is lots of options on torque, rpm, and rotor strength. I've decided on a 10.5t motor but not sure if I want a spec motor or a true mod motor. I'm looking for a smooth motor not a real punchy motor. I understand I can change esc setting's and t/x setting to smooth out the feel of the motor. But I would like to start out w/ a "smooth" motor rather then a light switch type of powerband. I'm not sure if a smooth motor even exists maybe there all the same. I would also like the brakes to be smooth and consistent. This is my first 2wd buggy so I'm just trying to make the transition from 4wd to 2wd a little easier. Thanks for all the help guys
Get a 6.5 and charge your battery only to 8.2 volts and if that's too much go lower on the charge voltage. Run the motor right out the box with proper gearing .
Old 12-08-2017, 02:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have two Tekin setups and love them both. They have been great for me thus far.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

stick with the 10.5 . fully charge your lipo ..