Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > R/C Tech Site Forum
Why only ship to USA/lower 48? >

Why only ship to USA/lower 48?

Why only ship to USA/lower 48?

Old 06-28-2017, 05:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Why only ship to USA/lower 48?

Why do sellers only ship to USA? I understand if the shipping is part of the price, buyers understand OS shipping will be more. A seller still has to package & send it, but the if buyer is using PayPal, paying in USD, and in a 'known' country like Australia, what's the difference to send it air mail?
I've lived in the USA, so I know it's no big deal, and having recently 'convinced' a seller to send overseas, and he found it easy, and we were both able to confirm an online shipping quote through USPS - both happy!
The range of stuff for sale is way more than RC Tech Australia F/S, which I also check, but why do sellers only ship to lower 48, or USA only, excluding the inclusive price? The website is global, and so is shipping - why restrict it?
Old 06-28-2017, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 191 (100%+)

I will tell you that shipping out of the lower 48 states is tougher than it might seem, I have sent a few things to just Canada and it must go priority international and the kicker is the tracking STOPS at the border, for a seller that is something I really don't like to deal with, as you sit and wonder did it get lost, stolen, and until they receive the item, the seller is on the hook, heck how many times has people ordered from China, Hong Kong or similar and wait 30 plus days with no tracking number and all the while wonder if they got taken for their money, I am sorry as I will only ship to the lower 48 and don't want to take the risk of the sale item getting lost, but that's just me, but I would lay odds that others are feeling the same way.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Interesting! Thanks for explaining. Everything I've ever sent/been sent with USPS simply sends AND tracks, and I can also track from door to door - whether it's a private package, or from (for eg) a retailer like AMain. And value also is a kicker, as anything under $500 seems to slide in easier.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Just more insight on this subject, when buying from a company vs a individual person, the company generally gets things shipped thru customs a heck of a lot easier, like mentioned anything under 500 dollars, as I know here in the U.S. You can get a brand new O.S. Motor out of the China area for a lot less than you can anywhere, the catch is you must assemble it, toy car parts are cheap and most customs persons would not know the difference and probably not care, after first replying to this, I remembered ordering a speed controller off eBay, thru China based company, 5 days later got the tracking number and about a month later it showed up, what got me most was it was approx. 2 weeks after delivery that it finally said it was shipped, international tracking sucks at best
Old 06-28-2017, 08:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

OK, certainly looks like a lot more hassle in the US than to/from Aust/NZ! Maybe I got lucky when I was in CA, CO and AL. For Aust, Hong Kong takes around 4-5 days, China around 6-7 days, even USA around 5-7 days, UK around 7-10 days, and very rarely a problem. Still sucks when you see something in the US for half the local price but you can't get it shipped - even something like a transponder!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

So quick question as do you have anyone from the states that can ship to you, as I know of a few people from Canada that have friends here and will have them buy the stuff and then ship to them in Canada, they get the feedback and you would get the item and then the seller would not be liable for any shipping issues, I will say if any, just seems more of a headache, so best of luck on this shipping thing
Old 06-28-2017, 09:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeh, that's definitely a smart back-up plan, and yeh, I have a couple of friends that I could potentially ask - I've done it once before. Only issue is paying two currency conversion fees (to look after international shipping), plus the handling pain for them, which would all likely push me to prob not buy, ultimately leading to no sale.
I just bought a TLR roller from a US seller a month ago, and it went off without a problem so guess we've been lucky.