Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > R/C Tech Site Forum
Changes to the way threads are marked as read. >

Changes to the way threads are marked as read.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ibtyen

Changes to the way threads are marked as read.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:49 PM
Tech Adept

Default Changes to the way threads are marked as read.

Hello,

We just changed the way the forum marks threads as read. Previously, it was cookies based and marked everything read after a period of inactivity.

We have switched to a more accurate way to show what you haven't and have read. Because of this, you may see more threads showing as "unread" (because you haven't read them)

Please report in this thread any odd behavior (or if it works better) regarding how threads now mark themselves as read.

This setting needs about 24 hours for it to fully work. Please check how things are working tomorrow. 6/28

Thanks,
Tyson
racer1812 likes this.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ah. That answers that question. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Personally I don't like this way. The old way Was better because it meant that only the new stuff since my last visit showed as unread. The other stuff that I hadn't read last time didn't matter because it wasn't of interest to me. It also isn't ideal in the for sale area because now i don't know what's new since my last visit. Yeah sorry guys not a fan at all of this and a vote for returning it back to how it was, ain't broke don't fix
Old 07-10-2017, 06:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thank you VERY much for changing. I used to go nuts with this, as every time I walked away from the computer for more than just a couple of minutes, when I came back everything was marked as 'read'! It was getting pretty frustrating some days. This is a Major improvement, at least to me!
Old 07-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Personally I don't like this way. The old way Was better because it meant that only the new stuff since my last visit showed as unread. The other stuff that I hadn't read last time didn't matter because it wasn't of interest to me. It also isn't ideal in the for sale area because now i don't know what's new since my last visit. Yeah sorry guys not a fan at all of this and a vote for returning it back to how it was, ain't broke don't fix
I completely get your point. But I can't agree that the old way wasn't broken, or at least a little worn out. I'm sure a lot of members use the "view first unread" option and use it all the time. But I doubt members use it to view as many different threads and areas of the forum as myself and the rest of the mod staff do. Either as a regular member or a mod...if you take too long making a post, replying to a PM, or simply have to make your kids lunch before you can view every thread that you would like or need to using the 'view first unread' option. The old system, at 15 minutes, would simply mark all threads read. Leaving you to try and locate everything you wanted or needed to look at.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Question..How many of you actually "log out" of the site when you're done and how many of you simply close the web browser?
Old 07-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Question..How many of you actually "log out" of the site when you're done and how many of you simply close the web browser?
I just close the browser on my PC.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
I completely get your point. But I can't agree that the old way wasn't broken, or at least a little worn out. I'm sure a lot of members use the "view first unread" option and use it all the time. But I doubt members use it to view as many different threads and areas of the forum as myself and the rest of the mod staff do. Either as a regular member or a mod...if you take too long making a post, replying to a PM, or simply have to make your kids lunch before you can view every thread that you would like or need to using the 'view first unread' option. The old system, at 15 minutes, would simply mark all threads read. Leaving you to try and locate everything you wanted or needed to look at.
If logistically possible I would like for us to find a way to fix that without making more work for everyone else that doesn't have that issue. As of right now, I don't know what the best answer is. But I can tell you that it's not likely going back to the old system, not exactly as it was anyway..IMO at this point.

Last edited by racer1812; 07-10-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

I do not log off. When I come to this site I normally see the new reactions in forums by the bold letters. On each I click with the mouse wheel (open in a new tab), that eleminates the 15 minute wipe and takes me all the time to read and react.

Now I sometimes do forget the "mark forums as read" that will give some frustrations.....
Old 07-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
I do not log off. When I come to this site I normally see the new reactions in forums by the bold letters. On each I click with the mouse wheel (open in a new tab), that eleminates the 15 minute wipe and takes me all the time to read and react.

Now I sometimes do forget the "mark forums as read" that will give some frustrations.....
That's the issue that we (the mod staff and IB) want to address. Dealing with the 'time out' issue that many, but not all, have an issue with. While at the same time not affecting those that haven't had an issue. Not always an easy task finding a solution that not only suits everyone but is easy enough for everyone to deal with...

It's a forefront topic with the staff and IB. The more input we can get from the community, the better we (IB) can decide what to do. Nothing seems to have been set in stone yet..