Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > R/C Tech Site Forum
Changes to the way threads are marked as read. >

Changes to the way threads are marked as read.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ibtyen

Changes to the way threads are marked as read.

Reply

Old 06-27-2017, 01:49 PM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 131
Default Changes to the way threads are marked as read.

Hello,

We just changed the way the forum marks threads as read. Previously, it was cookies based and marked everything read after a period of inactivity.

We have switched to a more accurate way to show what you haven't and have read. Because of this, you may see more threads showing as "unread" (because you haven't read them)

Please report in this thread any odd behavior (or if it works better) regarding how threads now mark themselves as read.

This setting needs about 24 hours for it to fully work. Please check how things are working tomorrow. 6/28

Thanks,
Tyson
racer1812 likes this.
ibtyen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 AM
  #2  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 8,426
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Ah. That answers that question. Thanks.
jiml is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:18 AM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
dan_vector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,152
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Personally I don't like this way. The old way Was better because it meant that only the new stuff since my last visit showed as unread. The other stuff that I hadn't read last time didn't matter because it wasn't of interest to me. It also isn't ideal in the for sale area because now i don't know what's new since my last visit. Yeah sorry guys not a fan at all of this and a vote for returning it back to how it was, ain't broke don't fix
dan_vector is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:37 AM
  #4  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (4)
 
Twangmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 39
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Thank you VERY much for changing. I used to go nuts with this, as every time I walked away from the computer for more than just a couple of minutes, when I came back everything was marked as 'read'! It was getting pretty frustrating some days. This is a Major improvement, at least to me!
Twangmaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:23 AM
  #5  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,238
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Personally I don't like this way. The old way Was better because it meant that only the new stuff since my last visit showed as unread. The other stuff that I hadn't read last time didn't matter because it wasn't of interest to me. It also isn't ideal in the for sale area because now i don't know what's new since my last visit. Yeah sorry guys not a fan at all of this and a vote for returning it back to how it was, ain't broke don't fix
I completely get your point. But I can't agree that the old way wasn't broken, or at least a little worn out. I'm sure a lot of members use the "view first unread" option and use it all the time. But I doubt members use it to view as many different threads and areas of the forum as myself and the rest of the mod staff do. Either as a regular member or a mod...if you take too long making a post, replying to a PM, or simply have to make your kids lunch before you can view every thread that you would like or need to using the 'view first unread' option. The old system, at 15 minutes, would simply mark all threads read. Leaving you to try and locate everything you wanted or needed to look at.
racer1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:24 AM
  #6  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,238
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Question..How many of you actually "log out" of the site when you're done and how many of you simply close the web browser?
racer1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:26 AM
  #7  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (39)
 
EbbTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 4,255
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Question..How many of you actually "log out" of the site when you're done and how many of you simply close the web browser?
I just close the browser on my PC.
EbbTide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:48 AM
  #8  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,238
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
I completely get your point. But I can't agree that the old way wasn't broken, or at least a little worn out. I'm sure a lot of members use the "view first unread" option and use it all the time. But I doubt members use it to view as many different threads and areas of the forum as myself and the rest of the mod staff do. Either as a regular member or a mod...if you take too long making a post, replying to a PM, or simply have to make your kids lunch before you can view every thread that you would like or need to using the 'view first unread' option. The old system, at 15 minutes, would simply mark all threads read. Leaving you to try and locate everything you wanted or needed to look at.
If logistically possible I would like for us to find a way to fix that without making more work for everyone else that doesn't have that issue. As of right now, I don't know what the best answer is. But I can tell you that it's not likely going back to the old system, not exactly as it was anyway..IMO at this point.

Last edited by racer1812; 07-10-2017 at 02:11 PM.
racer1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:11 PM
  #9  
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 8,281
Default

I do not log off. When I come to this site I normally see the new reactions in forums by the bold letters. On each I click with the mouse wheel (open in a new tab), that eleminates the 15 minute wipe and takes me all the time to read and react.

Now I sometimes do forget the "mark forums as read" that will give some frustrations.....
Roelof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:36 PM
  #10  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,238
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
I do not log off. When I come to this site I normally see the new reactions in forums by the bold letters. On each I click with the mouse wheel (open in a new tab), that eleminates the 15 minute wipe and takes me all the time to read and react.

Now I sometimes do forget the "mark forums as read" that will give some frustrations.....
That's the issue that we (the mod staff and IB) want to address. Dealing with the 'time out' issue that many, but not all, have an issue with. While at the same time not affecting those that haven't had an issue. Not always an easy task finding a solution that not only suits everyone but is easy enough for everyone to deal with...

It's a forefront topic with the staff and IB. The more input we can get from the community, the better we (IB) can decide what to do. Nothing seems to have been set in stone yet..
racer1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service