R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > R/C Tech Site Forum

Like Tree3Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2017, 11:28 PM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Mirkinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 160
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Is there a way to keep threads I havent clicked from showing read?

I miss posts and updates all the time and I re-read posts Ive already read. Is there a way to keep threads that have new posts in them from showing read when I havent clicked on them? I cant seem to find it in the faqs or usercp page?
Mirkinator is offline  
Old 06-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
Tech Adept
 
Mirkinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 160
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Is it something to do with using two clients? Or maybe a mobile setting? Seems to read everything when I swap between the two?

I stayed off my phone for like an hour this am, desktop seemed to work as expected, then I go on my phone and boom all threads show read?
Mirkinator is offline  
Old 06-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
Administrator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 131
Default

Thread read status is controlled by the sites cookie file. if you are in a thread and are idle and the session times out, it will automatically mark all posts in the thread you are in as "read" To avoid this, avoid letting your sessions time out.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkinator View Post
I miss posts and updates all the time and I re-read posts Ive already read. Is there a way to keep threads that have new posts in them from showing read when I havent clicked on them? I cant seem to find it in the faqs or usercp page?
ibtyen is offline  
Old 06-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
Tech Adept
 
Mirkinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 160
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtyen View Post
Thread read status is controlled by the sites cookie file. if you are in a thread and are idle and the session times out, it will automatically mark all posts in the thread you are in as "read" To avoid this, avoid letting your sessions time out.
What the threshold for a timeout?
Mirkinator is offline  
Old 06-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #5
Administrator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 131
Default

15 Minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkinator View Post
What the threshold for a timeout?
ibtyen is offline  
Old 06-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
Tech Adept
 
Mirkinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 160
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Ok two more questions, if you will... I assume since I use different cookies on another device it will mark everything thing read when I switch devices?

And is there anyway we can change the site so its more like traditional forums where this doesn't happen? Sites like rccrawler, traxxas, etc come to mind. I mean you dont have to reengineer the whole site, but it seems server side tracking of this is a pretty standard feature thats been along a long long time.
Mirkinator is offline  
Old 06-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
Administrator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 131
Default

I'll see what can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkinator View Post
Ok two more questions, if you will... I assume since I use different cookies on another device it will mark everything thing read when I switch devices?

And is there anyway we can change the site so its more like traditional forums where this doesn't happen? Sites like rccrawler, traxxas, etc come to mind. I mean you dont have to reengineer the whole site, but it seems server side tracking of this is a pretty standard feature thats been along a long long time.
ibtyen is offline  
Old 06-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
Super Moderator
 
racer1812's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 14,892
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtyen View Post
Thread read status is controlled by the sites cookie file. if you are in a thread and are idle and the session times out, it will automatically mark all posts in the thread you are in as "read" To avoid this, avoid letting your sessions time out.
FYI, not only in that thread but EVERY thread will show as read. Meaning you can't go to "last viewed post". No matter where you are on the site it does this if you're "idle" too long. Writing a long post or PM, bang you're timed out. I personally hate this because I use the "view last read post" feature ALL the time. I don't want to go the last post and then have to go back in a thread to find where I previously stopped reading or people posted since I last logged in.
Mirkinator likes this.
__________________
Stand for the flag, kneel for the fallen.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline  
Old 06-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
Tech Adept
 
Mirkinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 160
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
FYI, not only in that thread but EVERY thread will show as read. Meaning you can't go to "last viewed post". No matter where you are on the site it does this if you're "idle" too long. Writing a long post or PM, bang you're timed out. I personally hate this because I use the "view last read post" feature ALL the time. I don't want to go the last post and then have to go back in a thread to find where I previously stopped reading or people posted since I last logged in.
This! So frustrating to have forums I havent visited in ages show as read
Mirkinator is offline  
Old 06-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #10
Administrator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 131
Default

OK guys. We just changed the way forums track which threads are marked as read. We expect this change to take effect about 24 hours from now.

The method we switched to is a bit more accurate. You may notice that more threads are marked as unread. (because you haven't read them)

Please let me know tomorrow if things are better/worse in the following thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-tech...rked-read.html

Thanks,
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkinator View Post
This! So frustrating to have forums I havent visited in ages show as read
Mirkinator likes this.

Last edited by ibtyen; 06-27-2017 at 01:57 PM.
ibtyen is offline  
Old 06-27-2017, 11:25 PM   #11
Tech Adept
 
Mirkinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 160
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I already noticed it working! You are AMAZING! Didnt even check this thread, but as i was browsing this evening (timing out multiple times) I noticed the threads were not auto reading!! Yay!

I LOVE man <3
Mirkinator is offline  
Old 06-28-2017, 06:44 AM   #12
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,290
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

To be honest, it does not work for me. It is more difficult to see which topics are new. Can this option also be chosen by the user profile settings or is it one for all?
__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is offline  
Old 06-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #13
Administrator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 131
Default

The change is sitewide.

On the initial change, the first time you login you should see all threads and forums were reset to unread. This is just a one-time occurrence and the threads will go into "read" status as soon as you view them.

If this is a pain for you, right now, you can mark all the threads and forums as "read" and then new incoming ones and updated threads will be marked as "unread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
To be honest, it does not work for me. It is more difficult to see which topics are new. Can this option also be chosen by the user profile settings or is it one for all?
ibtyen is offline  
Old 06-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #14
Tech Adept
 
Mirkinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 160
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
To be honest, it does not work for me. It is more difficult to see which topics are new. Can this option also be chosen by the user profile settings or is it one for all?
You can click "mark all as read" one you've browsed through the thread. It is a bit different and will take a little to get use to, but there is no manual way to track what threads have been read, but there is a manual way to mark them all as read.

You can also mark the entire forum as read if you prefer. 2 taps.
Mirkinator is offline  
Old 06-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #15
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,211
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Is there a way of marking all the threads as read, or do you have to go into each forum?

Never mind, found it.

Last edited by jiml; 06-28-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: I should really look a little harder
jiml is offline  
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:30 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net