R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   R/C Tech Site Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-tech-site-forum-14/)
-   -   Is there a way to keep threads I havent clicked from showing read? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-tech-site-forum/990088-there-way-keep-threads-i-havent-clicked-showing-read.html)

Mirkinator 06-14-2017 10:28 PM

Is there a way to keep threads I havent clicked from showing read?

I miss posts and updates all the time and I re-read posts Ive already read. Is there a way to keep threads that have new posts in them from showing read when I havent clicked on them? I cant seem to find it in the faqs or usercp page?

Mirkinator 06-15-2017 11:13 AM

Is it something to do with using two clients? Or maybe a mobile setting? Seems to read everything when I swap between the two?

I stayed off my phone for like an hour this am, desktop seemed to work as expected, then I go on my phone and boom all threads show read?

ibtyen 06-16-2017 10:06 AM

Thread read status is controlled by the sites cookie file. if you are in a thread and are idle and the session times out, it will automatically mark all posts in the thread you are in as "read" To avoid this, avoid letting your sessions time out.

Originally Posted by Mirkinator (Post 14952903)
I miss posts and updates all the time and I re-read posts Ive already read. Is there a way to keep threads that have new posts in them from showing read when I havent clicked on them? I cant seem to find it in the faqs or usercp page?

Mirkinator 06-16-2017 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ibtyen (Post 14953975)
Thread read status is controlled by the sites cookie file. if you are in a thread and are idle and the session times out, it will automatically mark all posts in the thread you are in as "read" To avoid this, avoid letting your sessions time out.

What the threshold for a timeout?

ibtyen 06-16-2017 01:44 PM

15 Minutes.

Originally Posted by Mirkinator (Post 14954113)
What the threshold for a timeout?

Mirkinator 06-16-2017 04:24 PM

Ok two more questions, if you will... I assume since I use different cookies on another device it will mark everything thing read when I switch devices?

And is there anyway we can change the site so its more like traditional forums where this doesn't happen? Sites like rccrawler, traxxas, etc come to mind. I mean you dont have to reengineer the whole site, but it seems server side tracking of this is a pretty standard feature thats been along a long long time.

ibtyen 06-19-2017 10:17 AM

I'll see what can be done.

Originally Posted by Mirkinator (Post 14954207)
Ok two more questions, if you will... I assume since I use different cookies on another device it will mark everything thing read when I switch devices?

And is there anyway we can change the site so its more like traditional forums where this doesn't happen? Sites like rccrawler, traxxas, etc come to mind. I mean you dont have to reengineer the whole site, but it seems server side tracking of this is a pretty standard feature thats been along a long long time.

racer1812 06-23-2017 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ibtyen (Post 14953975)

FYI, not only in that thread but EVERY thread will show as read. Meaning you can't go to "last viewed post". No matter where you are on the site it does this if you're "idle" too long. Writing a long post or PM, bang you're timed out. I personally hate this because I use the "view last read post" feature ALL the time. I don't want to go the last post and then have to go back in a thread to find where I previously stopped reading or people posted since I last logged in.

Mirkinator 06-25-2017 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by racer1812 (Post 14959377)
FYI, not only in that thread but EVERY thread will show as read. Meaning you can't go to "last viewed post". No matter where you are on the site it does this if you're "idle" too long. Writing a long post or PM, bang you're timed out. I personally hate this because I use the "view last read post" feature ALL the time. I don't want to go the last post and then have to go back in a thread to find where I previously stopped reading or people posted since I last logged in.

This! So frustrating to have forums I havent visited in ages show as read :(

ibtyen 06-27-2017 12:43 PM

OK guys. We just changed the way forums track which threads are marked as read. We expect this change to take effect about 24 hours from now.

The method we switched to is a bit more accurate. You may notice that more threads are marked as unread. (because you haven't read them)

Please let me know tomorrow if things are better/worse in the following thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-tech...rked-read.html

Thanks,
Tyson

Originally Posted by Mirkinator (Post 14960721)
This! So frustrating to have forums I havent visited in ages show as read :(

Mirkinator 06-27-2017 10:25 PM

I already noticed it working! You are AMAZING! Didnt even check this thread, but as i was browsing this evening (timing out multiple times) I noticed the threads were not auto reading!! Yay!

I LOVE man <3

Roelof 06-28-2017 05:44 AM

To be honest, it does not work for me. It is more difficult to see which topics are new. Can this option also be chosen by the user profile settings or is it one for all?

ibtyen 06-28-2017 09:21 AM

The change is sitewide.

On the initial change, the first time you login you should see all threads and forums were reset to unread. This is just a one-time occurrence and the threads will go into "read" status as soon as you view them.

If this is a pain for you, right now, you can mark all the threads and forums as "read" and then new incoming ones and updated threads will be marked as "unread"

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 14963166)
To be honest, it does not work for me. It is more difficult to see which topics are new. Can this option also be chosen by the user profile settings or is it one for all?

Mirkinator 06-28-2017 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 14963166)

You can click "mark all as read" one you've browsed through the thread. It is a bit different and will take a little to get use to, but there is no manual way to track what threads have been read, but there is a manual way to mark them all as read.

You can also mark the entire forum as read if you prefer. 2 taps.

jiml 06-28-2017 10:17 AM

Is there a way of marking all the threads as read, or do you have to go into each forum?

Never mind, found it. :blush: