Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > R/C Tech Site Forum
Check it, Mod's! Here's how to fix the site access time issues... >

Check it, Mod's! Here's how to fix the site access time issues...

Check it, Mod's! Here's how to fix the site access time issues...

Old 08-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Check it, Mod's! Here's how to fix the site access time issues...

Yesterday, and many other days for that matter, this place takes forever to load. Yesterday was a very bad day.

Why? You may ask yourself.

[Drumroll.....]

There's no limit to thread sizes!

When multiple users access a very large thread(for example the $5 thread), the inquiry takes forever because the thread has a billion pages. These threads and pages are stored on old-school mechanical HDD's, and though they are [likely]in a RAID array, there's just too much for the server(s) to try to access at once.

Here's the answer!

Limit thread size by locking threads at a predetermined page count, like 200 or 300 or so, thus limiting the access times. You can restart the thread, with the same title and a "v2.0" or something.

I assure you this is part or maybe all of the slowness issue. I am on a PC gaming and hardware forum as well, and they do this, because the huge threads were causing tremendous spikes in server activity. Mind you, that forums' servers are in Europe, and I'm in the U.S., and it is still always faster than RcTech, by far, which is [I think]based in the U.S.

*discuss*

Old 08-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Here's the forum; I know, normally I wouldn't post a link to another forum, but go there, poke around, see how snappy it is. It's not perfect, but their uptime is great, I have had maybe 8-10 hours per year of unscheduled downtime there. I figure I'm safe doing this as it will(ideally) help us here.

http://forums.guru3d.com/index.php
Old 08-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

I've had the forum unaccessible for a brief time or two here but it's rarely if ever slow.
I like your suggestions but not sure they're necessary!

Good luck getting them implemented though!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer View Post
I've had the forum unaccessible for a brief time or two here but it's rarely if ever slow.
I like your suggestions but not sure they're necessary!

Good luck getting them implemented though!

I know "slow" is relative, but when compared to my other forum, there is a clear difference. Both are VBB, both are huge, and both use the same banner ad setup, but the other is faster.

It's worth a shot, just figured I'd offer a possible solution.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

How fast does it need to be?
When I come one here it takes 2.5 seconds, when I pick a section 2.5 seconds and when I pick a thread it takes 2.5 seconds.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

get a better internet connection, i havent noticed any problems lately, my pages load pretty quick, on my wireless computer,desktop or my cell phone , the pages load pretty quick
Old 08-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
get a better internet connection, i havent noticed any problems lately, my pages load pretty quick, on my wireless computer,desktop or my cell phone , the pages load pretty quick

Why call it my ISP's issue, when another site goes twice the speed at the same time?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I haven't had any issues the last few weeks. My ISP is pretty fast but not the fastest around and still runs quick. The only time I have problems are when the whole thing is screwed, like it was a few months back.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phatkat View Post
Why call it my ISP's issue, when another site goes twice the speed at the same time?
Just stating the facts all my connections are pretty fast no problems loading up.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I've had site issues as recent as yesterday. Site will not load, get page cannot be displayed errors.

It only occurs here and there and lasts about 5 minutes.

I have comcast though, so I cannot say I have a reliable ISP
Old 08-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i havent had any problems either, except friday last week the site was down for a bit....
Old 08-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drusillus View Post
I've had site issues as recent as yesterday. Site will not load, get page cannot be displayed errors.

It only occurs here and there and lasts about 5 minutes.

I have comcast though, so I cannot say I have a reliable ISP
not to start anything but i have had the same situation as drusillus.. comes and goes in short bursts... i did a web brouser clear and seemed to take all the issues away... also had the same with yahoo web page also.. try clearing the tracking cookies... it help out huge... jeremy
Old 08-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I would think the servers need to be updated, in lieu of shorter threads. Maybe it's the amount of duplicate threads here. hahahaha. When the search was down, threads showed up in almost every section.....multiple times over.

Then in the electric off road, you've got your "Slash 4x4 thread", slash 4x4 shock thread. 4x4 esc thread. 4x4 motor thread. All these slash, mind you. Slash pictures. Slash mods, slash this, slash that....getting the picture? And that's just the slash. Then there's SC wheels, sc shocks, sc esc's.

And since we're talking adjustment, let me add this here. Instead of making a new thread:

Who do I have to beg to get a "Delete Post" option? I know that may help as well. I've got at least 15 posts that are just "..." or something like that because I can't delete them.