Wiki Posts
Search

Malware

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Malware

I noticed the past week RCTech is trying to install malware in my machine with a lot of website redirects. I think some type of virus scan is in order. The site is now being flagged by google as a harmful site.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If it was being flagged, its not anymore, I just checked google. I don't see any kind of warning. I didn't get any kind of warning yesterday (or any other time either) and I was on/off a lot. My AV and malware protection would have generated an alert of some kind.

This must be happening from your end, suspect your PC is infected with something causing probs.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Duster_360
If it was being flagged, its not anymore, I just checked google. I don't see any kind of warning. I didn't get any kind of warning yesterday (or any other time either) and I was on/off a lot. My AV and malware protection would have generated an alert of some kind.

This must be happening from your end, suspect your PC is infected with something causing probs.
Negative on my PC, it was happening at home and work and I am positive the work machine is secured down. My symantec av did alert on it last night after receiving the error. This was what was happening http://www.google.com/support/websea...n&answer=45449
Old 09-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Lord

Its not happening on my desktop, or either of my laptops which connect via aircard on a completely diff network (Vz versus Comcast).

I've had the alert about other sites - most recently about www.rc411.com so I know what the alert looks like. No one else has mentioned it here either and I'll just bet if it was happening, there'd be a bunch of posts about it.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 328 (100%+)

its been happing to me too, i will switch to a different forum and one of the advertisers sites will open up in a new window or even just a certain product will pop up in a different window
Old 09-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Tech Legend

Running a Malware scan ...

Puter is clean , nothing detected..

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 09-27-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Trust Duster on this one, it's your machine. I had the same problem last week. The google ads on rctech were replaced by 'clicksor' ads, my browser constantly redirected me, and was overall slow. It came from Pandora.com. I have no clue what is on my pc, but there is deff something. I used every piece of anti malware software I could get my hands on, to no avail. None of them found anything, so nothing is fixed. I ended up getting a NoScripts extension for Chrome, and a similar add on for Firefox. Both now browse fine, you just have to pick and choose what scripts you allow to run per site, kinda like an ad blocker. Problem is, the malware is still there.

I don't think rctech has anything to do with the malware, the site is just one of the ones that 'reacts' to the malware. I guess that's how you would say it.

Good luck, and if you figure something out to get rid of the malware, PLEASE let us know.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Give it a scan with spybot and avg (Y)

That's what we used when I worked at a PC store.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:13 AM
Tech Lord

Have you tried MalwareBytes malware? Its free and has done a good job on my PCs.

I learned the hard way, but I invested in a copy of Norton Ghost and made a system image of my PC when it was clean. Anytime something/anything gets on that I can't get rid of, I use the latest Ghost image and replace/reload the system, getting rid of anything thats not suppoded ot be there and restoring my desktop back to what it was.

This is also the only way to replace a failing hard drive.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

I ran spybot S&D and hijack this on top of my normal Symantec. The annoying redirects were solved through spybot and hijack this. But that still would not explain the google blacklisting against the site. Although, I have seen instances where google does have hiccups on there blacklisting. I am assuming Duster is a webadmin with access to check the status of blacklisting with google. The weird part is I never even used google to get to the site and it still directed me to their blacklisting page when it occured the other night.