3% pp fee

Old 05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
  #16  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 11,530
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

The seller pays the PP fees. Its usually factored into the prices you're paying.
Duster_360 is offline  
Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 AM
  #17  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (11)
 
j33p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 487
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
Wrong, some of my first few online trades were 100+ dollar that were gifts. I didn't know why but that's what he told me to do. Nothing has ever happened. Just saying that when you say "ALL people who do it this way are scammers" than that is putting the wrong words on the table.
No, I believe the comment is correct, ALL people who do it this way are scammers. If they are not scamming you, they sure are scamming paypal, it is a business that provides a great convenience and is cheaper and quicker than a money order and also offers some level of protection !

3% fee, how else are you going to get the money? Wait a week and have them send a check to save $9 on $300 item?
j33p3r is offline  
Old 05-12-2010, 12:12 PM
  #18  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 898
Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)
Default

Originally Posted by j33p3r View Post
No, I believe the comment is correct, ALL people who do it this way are scammers. If they are not scamming you, they sure are scamming paypal, it is a business that provides a great convenience and is cheaper and quicker than a money order and also offers some level of protection !

3% fee, how else are you going to get the money? Wait a week and have them send a check to save $9 on $300 item?
This is what I keep telling people. And it's also why I was pushing to have the admins add a 'No PayPal gift transactions' clause to the rules. I guess I got ignored.
kuffs is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 06:00 AM
  #19  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (80)
 
pakk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,082
Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default

I guess you can look at it a lot of ways. PP charges the 3% fee in return for a service. In my eyes, they provide two key things.

1. Fast money transaction. The seller get's his money fast and the buyer gets his item faster because the seller can ship sooner. This benefit is clean and clear.

2. Protection. Both the buyer and seller have protection. Here is the gray area. I have been fortunate enough to not have to go through this, but it seems a lot of scams are being done with the usage of pay pal. Somehow, people are able to get the buyers money not either not send the product or send the product not as expected. It seems like in more cases the buyer is SOL with little help from pp. This has put a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths.

Regardless, just because you don't like the service, that does not give you the right to cheat the service and bypass their fees.

But again, what are you really cheating? By sending payment via gift, you waive all protections. So now you only have the benefit of number 1 and not number 2. Clearly PP is aware of this. I am sure they are not fools. I am sure they are aware that people are making sales with the gift function. As I look at paypal and how they advertise their service, they are big on protection. They key off of it. It was the main reason I signed up for the service many years ago. Maybe they are ok with this, maybe...

I put this post up just to let people know. I saw a lot of what would be borderline braking the rules as far as paypal transactions go. This is just a friendly FYI. As for me, I don't mind paying the fee when I am selling. I do factor it in. IMO, it is just a part of doing business. I also don't mind bypassing the fee and do it at my own risk.
pakk is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 AM
  #20  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (315)
 
nexxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 8,914
Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)
Default

Personally I think sellers need to suck it up as a cost of making a sale, they get to advertise for free on rctech.net and Paypal means the payment is instant which is more convenient for them.

Any seller / store that attempts to pass these fees on *cough, rcmart* needs to be seen as the penny pinchers they are and someone you're probably best off not dealing with.
nexxus is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 11:20 AM
  #21  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 298
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

usually if the person has good feedback 15-20+ no negative i'll send as a paypal gift and they don't take any fee's from the amount you send them. BUT make sure the person has good feedback as a SELLER because paypal does not cover you if nothing is sent.

(i know i have a 0 feedback rating score on this website, but i do all my selling/trading on this paintball website : pbnation.com where i have a 40+ positive rating.)

hope this helps.
1crazywhiteboy is offline  
Old 05-13-2010, 01:26 PM
  #22  
Tech Master
iTrader: (95)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: KY
Posts: 1,154
Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)
Default

As a guy who sells a lot of stuff on line I can assure you that 3% adds up pretty quick when your selling full time online.

Like Neu Racer I give people the option.

Since you know that "we" sellers have to pay this fee and shipping and don't forget the box,bag, packaging why don't you quit lowballing us so we don't have to ask for paypal as gift to try and keep our margins where they need to be.

As for getting protection with that 3% fee. Just keep on believing that. I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong. I've gotten screwed on both the buying and selling side of using paypal with their protection plan.
RobbieS is offline  
Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 AM
  #23  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (127)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 506
Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default

It's all a rip off. Ebay has become awful: 9% Final Value fees plus 3% PP fees. 12% of what ever you sell! Don't vote for Meg Whitman! (For those unfamiliar: Meg Whitman= CEO of Ebay, Ebay is the owner of paypal, Whitman is credited with success of Ebay, fees have skyrocketed in the last few months, she is now running for Governor of CA...)

Here is one interesting trick you can pull on ebay is say you have an item you want to sell for $100 shipped.

Mark it as $95 for the item and $5 for shipping and you will get charged 9% of $95 + 3% of $100. OR you could mark it as $5 for the item and $95 for shipping and you will get only get charged 9% of $5 + 3% of $100

Could save you some coin, but It would probably weird potential buyers out and you end up even with your lack of sales...haha

Last edited by Ei8ht; 05-19-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Ei8ht is offline  
Old 05-19-2010, 07:31 AM
  #24  
Tech Master
iTrader: (95)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: KY
Posts: 1,154
Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Ei8ht View Post
It's all a rip off. Ebay has become awful: 9% Final Value fees plus 3% PP fees. 12% of what ever you sell! Don't vote for Meg Whitman! (For those unfamiliar: Meg Whitman= CEO of Ebay, Ebay is the owner of paypal, Whitman is credited with success of Ebay, fees have skyrocketed in the last few months, she is now running for Governor of CA...)

Here is one interesting trick you can pull on ebay is say you have an item you want to sell for $100 shipped.

Mark it as $95 for the item and $5 for shipping and you will get charged 9% of $95 + 3% of $100. OR you could mark it as $5 for the item and $95 for shipping and you will get only get charged 9% of $5 + 3% of $100

Could save you some coin, but It would probably weird potential buyers out and you end up even with your lack of sales...haha
If ebay comes across your auctions setup like that they will delete them. There is always someone who looks at it and doesn't get it, thinks your trying to rip someone off, and they report you to ebay, then the item gets deleted.
RobbieS is offline  
Old 05-19-2010, 07:00 PM
  #25  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (127)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 506
Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RobbieS View Post
If ebay comes across your auctions setup like that they will delete them. There is always someone who looks at it and doesn't get it, thinks your trying to rip someone off, and they report you to ebay, then the item gets deleted.
Didn't know that! Ive never actually tried that before I just thought of it while I was writing that post...
Ei8ht is offline  
Old 05-19-2010, 10:33 PM
  #26  
Suspended
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 267
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

LMAO at us "scamming" paypal by accepting payments as gifts.. If its there, Ill use it, their "protection" is a joke at best! Definitely not worth 3% to me..
bag of doritos is offline  
Old 05-19-2010, 11:34 PM
  #27  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
TERRA NOVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Stettler, AB
Posts: 983
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
Personally I think sellers need to suck it up as a cost of making a sale, they get to advertise for free on rctech.net and Paypal means the payment is instant which is more convenient for them.

Any seller / store that attempts to pass these fees on *cough, rcmart* needs to be seen as the penny pinchers they are and someone you're probably best off not dealing with.
I totally agree with nexxus. 3% is a small price to pay for instant payments and protection. I accept Visa and Mastercard and they often take 2 - 3%. The other option is waiting for money orders which may sometimes never show up.
The thing I like about paypal is creating a shipping label right from the payment with a few simple clicks. The time this saves me alone is worth 3%.

Ebay's fees on the other hand are getting outrageous. The few sales I make on ebay is eaten up each month by ebay's commision and store fees.
Now that I have developed a good reputable web site, most of my buyers come to my website and make their purchase or e-mail me and we do a deal, usually with a paypal payment.
TERRA NOVA is offline  
Old 05-20-2010, 06:04 AM
  #28  
Super Moderator
 
roadrashracing2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 67,117
Default

Ebays fees must of really went up, I sold an item for $190 and the ebay fees where just $20
roadrashracing2 is offline  
Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 PM
  #29  
Tech Master
iTrader: (11)
 
Bermbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Metro NYC
Posts: 1,871
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by j33p3r View Post
No, I believe the comment is correct, ALL people who do it this way are scammers. If they are not scamming you, they sure are scamming paypal, it is a business that provides a great convenience and is cheaper and quicker than a money order and also offers some level of protection !

3% fee, how else are you going to get the money? Wait a week and have them send a check to save $9 on $300 item?
If your getting a great price on an item..... pay for it as a gift....is like getting a gift.....again you have to be careful who you give the gift to....
they may think it is better to give than to recieve........
Bermbuster is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.