3% pp fee

Old 05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The seller pays the PP fees. Its usually factored into the prices you're paying.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
Wrong, some of my first few online trades were 100+ dollar that were gifts. I didn't know why but that's what he told me to do. Nothing has ever happened. Just saying that when you say "ALL people who do it this way are scammers" than that is putting the wrong words on the table.
No, I believe the comment is correct, ALL people who do it this way are scammers. If they are not scamming you, they sure are scamming paypal, it is a business that provides a great convenience and is cheaper and quicker than a money order and also offers some level of protection !

3% fee, how else are you going to get the money? Wait a week and have them send a check to save $9 on $300 item?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

Originally Posted by j33p3r View Post
No, I believe the comment is correct, ALL people who do it this way are scammers. If they are not scamming you, they sure are scamming paypal, it is a business that provides a great convenience and is cheaper and quicker than a money order and also offers some level of protection !

3% fee, how else are you going to get the money? Wait a week and have them send a check to save $9 on $300 item?
This is what I keep telling people. And it's also why I was pushing to have the admins add a 'No PayPal gift transactions' clause to the rules. I guess I got ignored.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I guess you can look at it a lot of ways. PP charges the 3% fee in return for a service. In my eyes, they provide two key things.

1. Fast money transaction. The seller get's his money fast and the buyer gets his item faster because the seller can ship sooner. This benefit is clean and clear.

2. Protection. Both the buyer and seller have protection. Here is the gray area. I have been fortunate enough to not have to go through this, but it seems a lot of scams are being done with the usage of pay pal. Somehow, people are able to get the buyers money not either not send the product or send the product not as expected. It seems like in more cases the buyer is SOL with little help from pp. This has put a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths.

Regardless, just because you don't like the service, that does not give you the right to cheat the service and bypass their fees.

But again, what are you really cheating? By sending payment via gift, you waive all protections. So now you only have the benefit of number 1 and not number 2. Clearly PP is aware of this. I am sure they are not fools. I am sure they are aware that people are making sales with the gift function. As I look at paypal and how they advertise their service, they are big on protection. They key off of it. It was the main reason I signed up for the service many years ago. Maybe they are ok with this, maybe...

I put this post up just to let people know. I saw a lot of what would be borderline braking the rules as far as paypal transactions go. This is just a friendly FYI. As for me, I don't mind paying the fee when I am selling. I do factor it in. IMO, it is just a part of doing business. I also don't mind bypassing the fee and do it at my own risk.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Personally I think sellers need to suck it up as a cost of making a sale, they get to advertise for free on rctech.net and Paypal means the payment is instant which is more convenient for them.

Any seller / store that attempts to pass these fees on *cough, rcmart* needs to be seen as the penny pinchers they are and someone you're probably best off not dealing with.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

usually if the person has good feedback 15-20+ no negative i'll send as a paypal gift and they don't take any fee's from the amount you send them. BUT make sure the person has good feedback as a SELLER because paypal does not cover you if nothing is sent.

(i know i have a 0 feedback rating score on this website, but i do all my selling/trading on this paintball website : pbnation.com where i have a 40+ positive rating.)

hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

As a guy who sells a lot of stuff on line I can assure you that 3% adds up pretty quick when your selling full time online.

Like Neu Racer I give people the option.

Since you know that "we" sellers have to pay this fee and shipping and don't forget the box,bag, packaging why don't you quit lowballing us so we don't have to ask for paypal as gift to try and keep our margins where they need to be.

As for getting protection with that 3% fee. Just keep on believing that. I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong. I've gotten screwed on both the buying and selling side of using paypal with their protection plan.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

It's all a rip off. Ebay has become awful: 9% Final Value fees plus 3% PP fees. 12% of what ever you sell! Don't vote for Meg Whitman! (For those unfamiliar: Meg Whitman= CEO of Ebay, Ebay is the owner of paypal, Whitman is credited with success of Ebay, fees have skyrocketed in the last few months, she is now running for Governor of CA...)

Here is one interesting trick you can pull on ebay is say you have an item you want to sell for $100 shipped.

Mark it as $95 for the item and $5 for shipping and you will get charged 9% of $95 + 3% of $100. OR you could mark it as $5 for the item and $95 for shipping and you will get only get charged 9% of $5 + 3% of $100

Could save you some coin, but It would probably weird potential buyers out and you end up even with your lack of sales...haha

Last edited by Ei8ht; 05-19-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Ei8ht View Post
It's all a rip off. Ebay has become awful: 9% Final Value fees plus 3% PP fees. 12% of what ever you sell! Don't vote for Meg Whitman! (For those unfamiliar: Meg Whitman= CEO of Ebay, Ebay is the owner of paypal, Whitman is credited with success of Ebay, fees have skyrocketed in the last few months, she is now running for Governor of CA...)

Here is one interesting trick you can pull on ebay is say you have an item you want to sell for $100 shipped.

Mark it as $95 for the item and $5 for shipping and you will get charged 9% of $95 + 3% of $100. OR you could mark it as $5 for the item and $95 for shipping and you will get only get charged 9% of $5 + 3% of $100

Could save you some coin, but It would probably weird potential buyers out and you end up even with your lack of sales...haha
If ebay comes across your auctions setup like that they will delete them. There is always someone who looks at it and doesn't get it, thinks your trying to rip someone off, and they report you to ebay, then the item gets deleted.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RobbieS View Post
If ebay comes across your auctions setup like that they will delete them. There is always someone who looks at it and doesn't get it, thinks your trying to rip someone off, and they report you to ebay, then the item gets deleted.
Didn't know that! Ive never actually tried that before I just thought of it while I was writing that post...
Old 05-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

LMAO at us "scamming" paypal by accepting payments as gifts.. If its there, Ill use it, their "protection" is a joke at best! Definitely not worth 3% to me..
Old 05-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
Personally I think sellers need to suck it up as a cost of making a sale, they get to advertise for free on rctech.net and Paypal means the payment is instant which is more convenient for them.

Any seller / store that attempts to pass these fees on *cough, rcmart* needs to be seen as the penny pinchers they are and someone you're probably best off not dealing with.
I totally agree with nexxus. 3% is a small price to pay for instant payments and protection. I accept Visa and Mastercard and they often take 2 - 3%. The other option is waiting for money orders which may sometimes never show up.
The thing I like about paypal is creating a shipping label right from the payment with a few simple clicks. The time this saves me alone is worth 3%.

Ebay's fees on the other hand are getting outrageous. The few sales I make on ebay is eaten up each month by ebay's commision and store fees.
Now that I have developed a good reputable web site, most of my buyers come to my website and make their purchase or e-mail me and we do a deal, usually with a paypal payment.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Ebays fees must of really went up, I sold an item for $190 and the ebay fees where just $20
Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by j33p3r View Post

If your getting a great price on an item..... pay for it as a gift....is like getting a gift.....again you have to be careful who you give the gift to....
they may think it is better to give than to recieve........