Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forum Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 09:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Forum Suggestion

I've got a suggestion, you guys should make a forum for all discussion of electronics including radios, servos, etc. I've noticed most topics regarding radios and whatnot are always moved to electric on-road, but lot's of people who have questions about radios and other things don't necessarily own an electric on road car.

Mabye I can even moderate this new forum?

Thanks

Last edited by Accord; 07-14-2003 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:12 PM
Tech Addict

I agree it would be nice to have an RC electronics forum, where you could ask questions about radios, servo and ect...
Old 07-14-2003, 01:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

i'll third that
Old 07-14-2003, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

Sounds good to me also.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:41 AM

that would be great!

a forum specializing motors would be cool too!
Old 07-15-2003, 07:24 PM
R/C Tech Founder

The only problem with adding new forums is that I'm actually trying to keep the number of forums down as much as possible. It makes for shorter page load times and easier navigation for people to find what they want.

Still, I think an electronics forum will probably pop up sooner or later.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Futureal, if you want to make it easier for people to navigate the forums, then it is crucial you create an 'electronics' forum. If I am looking for information on an M8 radio, where am I supposed to look? There are currently 6 possible forums that I would have to sort through in order to find general information on an M8, however if you created an 'electronics' forum all I would have to do is go there. I had a question about my 3PK radio a few weeks ago, I use it for both nitro and electric cars, I just could not figure out which forum to post my question in so I ended up posting it in two forums due to the lack of a forum dedicated to electronics.

If the forum was not needed and was just a cool extra little thing to have, then I can understand not creating it, however this community is in dire need of a forum dedicated to radios and other R/C electronics!
Old 07-15-2003, 09:33 PM
R/C Tech Founder

What you're really suggesting is creating a forum just for radios. Right now, I would suggest posting radio messages in the appropriate forum for what you're going to use it for. For example, a beginner looking for his/her first radio needs to receive different advice based on whether it is for a nitro or electric car, and if a nitro car, which type of carb (slide or rotary).

I am hesitant to create a forum JUST for radio gear, since that is really specific. If I create a general electronics forum, then that creates a gray area for the Electric On-Road and Off-Road forums. Do ESC topics belong in one or the other? What about batteries? Chargers?

I have always preferred that people just post their stuff in whichever forum they plan to use it in. If you're going to use an M8 with a nitro sedan, post in Nitro Onroad. People will certainly see it there!

In most cases I would suggest just using the search engine to find old topics, however this obviously won't work for many radios since they use short identifiers. M8 and 3PK, for example, are below the forum's 4 character limit. This will eventually be addressed in two ways: first, MySQL 4 allows for searching without the use of the searchindex, meaning that any 2+ character word is acceptable; second, most common products will soon have an "official" thread on here, which will then be linked back to the main page.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

I guess another easier way is if anyone just creates a thread in an existing forum for example the nitro forum called "radio gear" or whatever else they want.Similar to the way it's done for a specific car like the mtx3 or voneR.That way you can still have a thread for radio gear or make it more broad like calling it "nitro electric gear" but not have to create a separate forum for it.

I hope the search engine can be changed to accomodate 3 letter words,it will be much more user firendly.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:41 PM

i think we should have forums on companies like tamiya hpi and the others

but that will probably future

just thinking out loud

electronic forums will be a good idea
Old 07-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

An electronics forum is a good idea. You can also discuss chargers, battery packs, motors, servos, radios, etc.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Old 08-15-2003, 03:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by futureal
What you're really suggesting is creating a forum just for radios. Right now, I would suggest posting radio messages in the appropriate forum for what you're going to use it for. For example, a beginner looking for his/her first radio needs to receive different advice based on whether it is for a nitro or electric car, and if a nitro car, which type of carb (slide or rotary).

I am hesitant to create a forum JUST for radio gear, since that is really specific. If I create a general electronics forum, then that creates a gray area for the Electric On-Road and Off-Road forums. Do ESC topics belong in one or the other? What about batteries? Chargers?

I have always preferred that people just post their stuff in whichever forum they plan to use it in. If you're going to use an M8 with a nitro sedan, post in Nitro Onroad. People will certainly see it there!

In most cases I would suggest just using the search engine to find old topics, however this obviously won't work for many radios since they use short identifiers. M8 and 3PK, for example, are below the forum's 4 character limit. This will eventually be addressed in two ways: first, MySQL 4 allows for searching without the use of the searchindex, meaning that any 2+ character word is acceptable; second, most common products will soon have an "official" thread on here, which will then be linked back to the main page.
The radio's and radio gear aspect of the R/C industry is absolutely huge, most people spend just as if not MORE money on quality radio's and radio equipment than they do on their cars! For the cost of a high quality radio system and two high quality digital servos, you will be spending almost enough money to buy a Serpent 950 or TWO TC3 Factory Team cars!

Earlier in this thread you brought up the point that it would be harder to find things if this forum were created. That is not true at all, if you're looking for information on which crystals to use in a 3PK, when searching all you would have to do is make the search specific to that forum thus resulting in more specific results and it will be much easier to find the answer rather than having to sort through posts and threads in every forum on RCTech. Everytime I search for something that is very general and not specific to electric or nitro racing, I end up with a plethora of garbage that is completely unwanted and I have to waste a lot of time sorting through the garbage and in almost every case 90% of the results are crap and only a very small percentage of the search results are actually useful and what I was looking for. There are radio and radio gear related things on RCTech that are scattered about and extremely disorganized, for example a 3PK thread in the electric forum; what happens if I own a 3PK and have a general question about it, but I don't race electric and I race nitro only? I shouldn't have to goto the electric cars forum to get an answer!

What happens if I am in the market for a new radio and would like to know specific differences between two top quality radios and which radios people prefer and why? Mind you, this ONE radio will be used in 1/10 on road nitro, 1/10 scale electric, 1/10 2wd truck and buggy off road, 1/8 on road, 1/5 scale, and 1/12 scale. Should I make the same post in three different forums on RCTech since I will be using the radio for applications which apply to those three different forums?

Creating one extra forum will not in the slightest bit decrease page load times, i've seen other communities that have more than 70 different forums and over 100,000 members and their page load times are not slow at all. An Electronics/Radio Gear forum is not just a wanted luxury, it is essential and must be made in order to maintain organization and make the overall RCTech experience much better. I can guarantee you that this new forum would be just as popular as the Electric and Nitro on-road forums. The forums on Radio Control Zone, RCUniverse, etc. all have a forum for electronics and radio's and all of these forums are very popular and very active, there is no legitimate reason to not create this new forum!
Old 08-15-2003, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

I agree with what you're saying, but I just feel that with the way the forums are layed out at the moment, an electronics forum wouldn't fit in that well. I'd say almost half the posts in the Electric Onroad forum are regarding batteries, motors, speed controls, servo's, etc, and if we make this new forum there is the problem of what to do with all these old posts we have in the Electric On Road forum.

The problem is, that like you say, a radio can apply to any RC car, but so do recievers, ESC's apply to any electric car, like batteries do also. If we made this new forum, we would have to limit all the other class specific forums to discussion only on the chassis, and perhaps motor, but then, engines/motors can be used in both on and off road cars, so what do we do about that?

It seems that in order to create this new forum, we'd have to change all the existing forums, and that seems like too drastic of a change to me.

Josh
Old 08-15-2003, 05:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Speedo
I agree with what you're saying, but I just feel that with the way the forums are layed out at the moment, an electronics forum wouldn't fit in that well. I'd say almost half the posts in the Electric Onroad forum are regarding batteries, motors, speed controls, servo's, etc, and if we make this new forum there is the problem of what to do with all these old posts we have in the Electric On Road forum.

The problem is, that like you say, a radio can apply to any RC car, but so do recievers, ESC's apply to any electric car, like batteries do also. If we made this new forum, we would have to limit all the other class specific forums to discussion only on the chassis, and perhaps motor, but then, engines/motors can be used in both on and off road cars, so what do we do about that?

It seems that in order to create this new forum, we'd have to change all the existing forums, and that seems like too drastic of a change to me.

Josh
You're right, an "Electronics Forum" is not practical which is why I have proposed to instead just create a radio and radio gear forum. We would not have to change around all the forums to accomodate a radio gear forum.

We don't have to change around anything having to do with ESC's, batteries, motors, etc. because this new forum would be dedicated to radio gear in which ALL cars use them, nothing would be affected aside from just moving all the current threads that are scattered about to this new forum. It makes no sense to have a general discussion thread for a 3PK in a electric on road car forum, it makes sense to have that thread in an R/C Electronics forum or an R/C Radio Gear forum.

I think you only read the initial post and not my last post in this thread, lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.