Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roelof

Adverts

Old 12-09-2021, 07:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Adverts

So looks like the mailing list has been sold!

how do I delete my account please.

[img]blob:https://www.rctech.net/9a41c4fa-37de-4c33-ae3e-009efea38390[/img]
Old 12-09-2021, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

I dont think they have a account delete option.. I know others have asked and gotten just go and dont return..
Old 12-09-2021, 09:44 AM
Tech Lord

Not sold, once I was told these mails are send from RCTECH.
But yes, very anoying when you live overseas and have no interest at all in these offers.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Sorry … was okay with the RC adds, but for credit and non RC related stuff … very POOR form.

‘I’m out.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What email ads are people getting?
Old 12-10-2021, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some credit crap. I'm disappointed by that as well. Used to do the elite membership thing to support the site, but I am not going to do it again after those mails.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey there everyone,

Just wanted to clear up a few things regarding this (though it won't absolve all). Firstly, we don't sell user information. Secondly, though the emails can definitely be annoying, you are able to opt out of them at the bottom of the email. If there are any questions, please feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Myke
Old 12-13-2021, 02:58 PM
Tech Lord

Over here in Holland and I believe in whole Europe the Opt-out is illegal to use for advertisers, it has to start with an Opt-in option. I can not think I have agreed such an option....

And you know that one of the rules to deal with spam is never to use the opt-out button because with that you give an acknowledge of an active email adres.
DirkW likes this.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Over here in Holland and I believe in whole Europe the Opt-out is illegal to use for advertisers, it has to start with an Opt-in option. I can not think I have agreed such an option....

And you know that one of the rules to deal with spam is never to use the opt-out button because with that you give an acknowledge of an active email adres.
This. ^
Old 12-18-2021, 04:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

RC Tech hits a new low.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post

I don't closely follow European law but I would think this would satisfy the "opt-in" option. No?
When creating an account you had to agree to this:
I agree to the R/C Tech Forums Rules, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy, and to the use of cookies described therein, and I also consent to the collection, storage and processing of my data in the United States, where data protection laws may be different from those in my country.
From the Privacy Policy:
...4.1 Personal Information that You Provide to Us
We may use the personal information that you provide in one or more of the following ways: ...
l. to inform you about new products or promotional offers, or other opportunities which we feel will be of interest to you, and to provide advertisements to you through our sites, email messages, text messages, applications, or other methods of communication;...
In addition the the blanket personal data usage above, they also provide you with these options when you register:

Receive Email from Administrators
Receive Email from Other Members
Receive our newsletter and special promotions from our partners
So it looks like a direct opt in was added at some point. I am not sure when it was added, but I have never received promotions from RCTECH. So I am guessing it was an option when I signed up.
FWIW I am not defending that they should send the ads, just that they legally can.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:16 AM
Tech Lord

As RCTECH is US based no EU rules apply although unwanted advertisement is anoying more and more people so it would be nice to follow the EU law. I would not think that will ever happen in the US because the whole US is commercial driven....

But it would be nice to unsubscribe through the RCTECH website, just to be sure I did not unsubscribe using a real spam email.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

-User Control Panel
-Edit Options
-Messaging & Notification
Old 12-21-2021, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mrreet2001 View Post
-User Control Panel
-Edit Options
-Messaging & Notification
The only option I have activated there is "Receive Emails from Administrators".
The option "Receive our newsletter and special promotions from our partners" is not active.

I still got this crappy spam email.

But I guess some people (and companies) would sell their own grandmas to make a quick buck.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:53 PM
Tech Lord

Because the spam email is not done by this forum but through an external newsletter service..... Probably when you unsubscribe this forum you still remain in that spam newsletter.