R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   R/C Tech Site Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-tech-site-forum-14/)
-   -   Antiquated rules keep new comers away... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-tech-site-forum/1053244-antiquated-rules-keep-new-comers-away.html)

sed6 11-04-2019 07:30 AM

Antiquated rules keep new comers away...

I just joined to share some pics of my new build and ask for some tips. Turns out this forum has a rule of 10 helpful posts before I can post pics?!?! As a member of a dozen other forums I gotta say this rule is silly. No one else does it. There are real ways to prevent spam or whatnot. Anyway, I know the forum members and mods probably don't care, but your antiquated rules are running off interested members who want to contribute, like myself. I need help today, not in a week or two or three after my post count is high enough. No help today means no contributions tomorrow and then...no forum in the future. Fix your rules and I'll come back.

IBJoel 11-04-2019 08:33 AM

Hi sed,

We have multiple layers of spam-fighting tools in place because they work. RC Tech has been around for a considerable amount of time and as a result has become a target for a lot of spam farms. However, because we've been around for so long, we also have an established, fantastic, and knowledgeable community filled with many long-time contributing members. So we hope you'll stick around.

1/8 IC Fan 11-04-2019 08:39 AM

considerring how long Rctech has been around. these rules have developed over time...

As IBJOEL Stated, who is not to say you are a spammer, or looking to promote your own site, or here to scam someone??? So, the best way is to earn those privileges i.e. BST access, or posting of pics. That way with Legit posts, others will get a better feel of who you are and what you have to offer the community!

We have had hundred of this same type of email....

Roelof 11-04-2019 09:26 AM

Maybe I am wrong but a new user knowing 10 meaninfull posts are needed sounds to me he has experience with this issue. Last weekend I believe the mods just wiped someone complained about the same issue creating posts to get the postcount.

sed6 11-04-2019 11:28 AM

Well, I got a few replies, so I know someone cares. Unfortunately I don't have 10 helpful things to say, just yet. My original concern still stands, a forum without me being able to post a pic, today, is useless to me. Hey guys, here's my newest build...nope. Hey guys I'm trying to decide which wheel looks better on this car...nope. Hey guys, can you help me identify this part...nope. Hey guys is this part bent...nope. Hey guys...nope...none of any of that without pics.

sed6 11-04-2019 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 15539496)
Maybe I am wrong but a new user knowing 10 meaninfull posts are needed sounds to me he has experience with this issue. Last weekend I believe the mods just wiped someone complained about the same issue creating posts to get the postcount.

You are mistaking me, someone who read and researched before posting, with a troll who got bounced and signed back up. That's not me.

Billy Kelly 11-04-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by sed6 (Post 15539555)
Well, I got a few replies, so I know someone cares. Unfortunately I don't have 10 helpful things to say, just yet. My original concern still stands, a forum without me being able to post a pic, today, is useless to me. Hey guys, here's my newest build...nope. Hey guys I'm trying to decide which wheel looks better on this car...nope. Hey guys, can you help me identify this part...nope. Hey guys is this part bent...nope. Hey guys...nope...none of any of that without pics.

It’s not a difficult number to reach. Yes, it can seem a bit inconvenient at first. But 10-15 posts isn’t a hard number to reach.

As the other mentioned. There were far too many that were posting as simple as possible to run on counts. “ looks cool” or “ awesome” had become a common sight with newer members. As many were just here looking to sell.

Roelof 11-04-2019 02:52 PM

With such complains I always wonder why the hurry to get that amount of posts. Most of these people want to place a sell item and then be gone. Hint: posting a sell item needs more usefull posts. Just be a member, mingle in the talks and you will get your post count.

Zerodefect 11-04-2019 06:53 PM

If you can't even post something worth reading ten times, what makes you think that your picture wouldn't be just as worthless to me.

Try craigslist.

sed6 11-05-2019 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by sed6 (Post 15539424)
I just joined to share some pics of my new build and ask for some tips.

ibobi 11-07-2019 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by sed6 (Post 15539555)

If you really are interested in being a part of this community, you can bounce around to different forums and threads and you can get to 10 meaningful posts in less than 48 hours, with your limit on photos lifted. We do not consider that a deterrent to new members -- we consider it a deterrent to spammers. And it works. The alternative is that a newbie (and everyone else) comes to forum full of spam. We're not going to do that.

Welcome aboard, and good luck on your next 4 posts.

huckleberry 11-09-2019 04:02 PM

i have to agree that the 10 post limit is a good idea. i actually had some malware installed from a post that i clicked from another rc forum that installed and rendered my win 10 based computer useless. it was in all reality a microsoft program. it sat between the system bios and the windows itself. not only was the computer not accessible, but even a full reinstall would not correct the problem. it was a cheap computer and i did not lose any data as i was able to plug the HD into another computer to salvage the data. i worked with MS on this and this was the best solution that they could come up with. fortunately it only existed for about a month before the vulnerability was closed. additionally, i feel that the site has done a good job of limiting those posters whose sole goal seems to be to leave an arrogant response. i must commend Roelof for a response he recently left regarding what can be at times a frustrating experience using the search feature. i posted a similar frustration once. instead of a useful response, i was savaged in the thread. i abhor both internet warriors and FB so this is an important resource and repository of information for me. in fact, if there is a way that i can thank the people that make this site work i'd love to know.....

fyrstormer 11-09-2019 07:41 PM

It seems to me that someone who actually wants to be part of a community will have enough perseverance to write 10 non-trolling comments in response to active threads. That's 15 minutes of participation. Buying groceries for dinner takes more time than that.

nitrodude 11-10-2019 10:24 AM

Look at my join date. Do you really think the forum is going to go away because of the 10 post rule? After its been on for that many years?

Bsthetech 11-10-2019 11:11 AM

I’m a new member and at first the post rule was a pain, but I get it, and I quickly raised my number without being a knob. My concern now is all the excessive bumping. When I see a For-Sale post with 30 bumps I think that thing is long gone, then I wade in and it’s all bumps. People on here seem to avoid “Likes” as well. I like Likes. It makes people feel appreciated. Don’t be so stingy with the Likes!

Hey look, I got another post! :ha: