Search
Like Tree1Likes

Google ads blocking threads.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 08:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Google ads blocking threads.

I’ve been having it happen frequently - that a google ad blocks half the screen. This is causing the content I’m trying to read to be a pain to see because I have to scroll the screen left and right to read each sentence. The ads cover the response I type also.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:02 AM
RETIRED -- DO NOT PM

Can you take a screenshot of it? We'll report the issue to tech, a screenshot will give them a better sense of what's going on. Also,k what browser are you using? I'd like to recreate this.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

So far I have only used my phone on the site. iPhone 7 with the latest iOS and safari versions.

I will try to get a screenshot of it, though the ad covers most of the screen, but I’ll see what I can do.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

What’s the trick to getting images to attach as thumbnails only and not embedded in the post?
Old 04-24-2018, 08:59 AM
RETIRED -- DO NOT PM

The reasons the ads block your screen is because it looks like you're using the "full site" while on mobile. Try using our mobile skin.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:59 AM
RETIRED -- DO NOT PM

Originally Posted by SlowLST2
What’s the trick to getting images to attach as thumbnails only and not embedded in the post?
We no longer have the attachment feature.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IBThomas
The reasons the ads block your screen is because it looks like you're using the "full site" while on mobile. Try using our mobile skin.
I won't. Mobile site versions SUCK!
Old 04-25-2018, 08:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by racer1812
I won't. Mobile site versions SUCK!
Me too. The mobile format does suck.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by IBThomas
We no longer have the attachment feature.
That’s unfortunate.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowLST2

Me too. The mobile format does suck.
Agreed. Plus I have a device that is more than capable of displaying the full site if they’d just format it correctly. The fix is to use an ad blocker. No ad, no worries about it being in an annoying place.

Darkgenerals likes this.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

It’s too bad the folks that make the forum successful and contribute to its success get blown off when reasonable suggestions are made. Like formatting the (full) site to work correctly on computers as well as mobile devices. If a site is going to have a mobile and full site setup, both should have the same functionality and ease of use. I find the mobile site much harder to navigate because it doesn’t have the same functionality as the full site. Far too simplified.

Given the types of responses seen in other tech related threads, I don’t expect much to be said or changed with a lot of the ad related issues simply because I don’t think they can fix it or even want to.. RCGroups has been giving out free paid subscriptions to users to mask their ad problems that they can’t get rid of. Malicious google ads that cannot be removed or repaired from the site. It’s been going on for over 6 months. This could very well be the demise of message forums. The forum contributors will get spammed to death.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Careful now. They’ve been deleting criticizing posts like that as fast as I can make them. Criticizing but true posts.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Overdriven
Careful now. They’ve been deleting criticizing posts like that as fast as I can make them. Criticizing but true posts.
If they delete my post, so be it. I’m not blatantly trashing admin or management. I’m just saying that the widespread malicious ads on other forum sites using different software is rampant - and their tech team has been unsuccessful for over 6 months to repair/remove/deal with bad ads. I get redirected off RCTech all the time due to ads - on my mobile or computer. It seems they can’t fix this problem as they have had trouble fixing it on other forums as well. Ads that block half the screen? Bad formatting. Can that be fixed? Who knows. Ads are annoying. Does a paid subscription wipe out ALL visible advertisements from the forum? If it does, it might be worth promoting the subscription to those having issues with the ads. Maybe offer a short term “freebie” to try it and maybe even offer a discounted price for the first subscription. Maybe a good way to increase site revenue to perhaps get someone who can get the advertisement problems under control.

I stopped using RCU for quite awhile because their ad redirects were so bad and the site didn’t work half of the time. Now that they upgraded some things, it works pretty good now.. I have the least amount of ad related problems on RCU than I encounter here or on RCGroups. If enough contributors get tired of the problems, they will leave and the site suffers - both in traffic AND revenue. Seems like common sense to me. Fix the problems to keep traffic high.

I would do things a little differently if it were my forum, but its not.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

For the redirect problem on mobile phones, try resetting your “advertising identifier”. That solved the redirect problem for me before that I was getting redirects everywhere and could hardly use my phone for browsing at all. There may be something similar for pc as Microsoft does have something with ad tracking or something, but I forget exactly what it is or where.

I hear ya man. Looking back I guess my posts could be considered bashing, even though they were facts that are out there for anyone to find if they bothered to look at all. You’re still going to get ads as a premium member, most sites just ditch the ads between the posts, you’ll still get the banner at the top, bottom and I doubt they’d get rid of the ads on the side.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

So no response from management as far as the poorly formatted ads? One of those ‘tough crap’ deals? I got a lot of those types of responses on RCU. Not surprised I guess. At least have the courtesy to say “tough crap” instead of ghosting....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.